[v1.1.0] Episodic-EX - Play all levels in sequence!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Re: [MINI MOD][v1.2] zEpisodic - Play all levels in sequence

Post by epiccolton26 »

Good stuff! Would it be possible to have episodic WADs such as Valiant work with this? Or will they already work?

Just want to make sure.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

...how do I continue? I ended up at the credits screen; what key do I need to press?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

It should continue automatically, however it seems some people are having issues with this mod. I need to know what maps/mods are being used and what version of GZDoom. I have tested this in version 3.3.0
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mikk- wrote:It should continue automatically, however it seems some people are having issues with this mod. I need to know what maps/mods are being used and what version of GZDoom. I have tested this in version 3.3.0
I finished the first Episode of DOOM, and the only other mod I was using was Trailblazer v1.4b.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

And your version of GZDoom?
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

The version I am using is 3.3.0. Are there any other questions?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I'll have to take a look tomorrow. I've tried several mod combinations previously and not encountered any errors, I'm baffled as frustrated as to why I can't reproduce these problems other people are having
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

I know it might be a hassle, but would you be able to make it work with "episodic megawads" like Ancient Aliens? It works great in Heretic and Doom 1/ its pwads otherwise, fantastic work.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I can take a look, I don't know how ancient aliens handles its episodes, if it's a death exit then it might not be doable
erni945

Post by erni945 »

I have a question, does your mod also work with megawads such as DUMP and Gameplay mods?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Currently zEpisodic only works with ExMx format maps or Doom Complete (wadsmoosh). I don't think I can make mods like Valiant or Ancient Aliens compatible due to their death exits, but I'll have a look. DUMP uses a nonstandard level system and therefore there isn't really a set order or progression which makes it more difficult.

This mod should be compatible with most (if not all) gameplay mods.
Nocturned85

Post by Nocturned85 »

I tried this with Maps of Chaos for Ultimate Doom and so far it works for me.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

AvzinElkein wrote:...how do I continue? I ended up at the credits screen; what key do I need to press?
I'm also having the same issue on GZDoom 3.3.0. Other mods I was using was Doom Incarnate, Colorful Hell, LegenDoom Lite, and the Doom Ambiance Pack.

I'll try it without mods to see if it works.

EDIT: I think it has something to do with load order. Make sure to have zEpisodic be first among the load order with other mods. I'm gonna try it with 2002ADO just to make sure it is load order.

EDIT 2: Yeah, it's a load order issue. Make sure zEpisodic is among the first to load up before any other mods that alter gameplay. For example, if you were to play 2002ADO with this and other mods, the load order would look like this (from first to last):

Code: Select all

2002ADO.wad
[v1.2]mk-z-episodic.pk3
DoomIncarnate_v1.7.pk3
ColourfulHell931.pk3
LegenDoomLite_2.0.pk3
ambiencepack.wad
[/s]

EDIT 3: Actually, scratch that. It's doing it to me again even with putting zEpisodic at the top of the load order. Gonna play around with it some more.

EDIT 4: If I play with just zEpisodic and nothing else it works fine. As soon as I try to use any gameplay mods, zEpisodic refuses to work even when it's set to 'Yes' in the Options menu.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Mikk- wrote:I don't think I can make mods like Valiant or Ancient Aliens compatible due to their death exits, but I'll have a look.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Some old PWADs (like Hell Revealed 2) use death exits to reset the player's inventory, which would of course be the biggest side effect of a death exit.

@Nems: After some investigation into these gameplay mods, I notice that Doom Incarnate contains a ZMAPINFO lump while zEpisodic has a regular MAPINFO lump. According to the wiki, [wiki=MAPINFO]MAPINFO isn't parsed at all if a ZMAPINFO lump is present[/wiki], so perhaps zEpisodic will start working again if this lump's name is changed.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Mikk- wrote:I'll have to take a look tomorrow. I've tried several mod combinations previously and not encountered any errors, I'm baffled as frustrated as to why I can't reproduce these problems other people are having
Try the following:
1. Save the game at E1M8
2. quit GZDoom completely
3. Reload GZDoom with this mod
4. Load your save at E1M8
5. complete the level
6. get stuck at credit screen
7. ???
8. Profit...?

hehe, sry I couldn't resist. This seems to be the source of the bug for me. It breaks when attempting to load a game and then continue the episode.
I'll see if I can find a fix. I probably won't be able to, but I'll try.

This particular bug with the mod is repeatable with zEpisodic loaded alone with no other gameplay mods. This issue (obviously) also occurs when using any other mod in conjunction with zEpisodic.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”