[minimod][v1.6.2] Autoautosave

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Autoautosave [v0.10.1]

Post by namsan »

Oh, thanks for fix.
Unfortunately, I found an another problem.
The game will make a new save when I load a save that generated from manual save.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Autoautosave [v0.10.2]

Post by m8f »

:? Note to self: always test after quick fix.

Thanks again! Fixed in 0.10.2.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I switched from 0.8 to 0.10 and a lot of the fine tuning options (specially regarding health and ammo) are gone. What are their current fixed values?

Also, would mod specific autosaves be out of the question? For example it would be great to auto save every time you get a Big Coin in GS2 and 1 and other maps with included mods that have similar important key items that don't autosave when you obtain them could use them, too.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Oops, I just forgot to add entries to options menu! Thanks for reporting.
About mod specific autosaves - they are possible and very easy to add.

Update (0.10.3):
- added missing options (health and armor thresholds);
- fixed voice sounds (that bug was really stupid);
- added optional autosave on The Golden Souls Big Coins.
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Autoautosave [v0.10.4]

Post by armymen12002003 »

Thank you for this this sure as hell beats using quick save alot lol
Crimsondrgn

Re: Autoautosave [v0.10.4]

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Seems like this and Hideous Destructor's Scavenger addon don't play nice together.

"Vm execution aborted: Tried to read from address zero."
"Called from M8f_aas_event_source.worldthingspawned at autoautosave-0.10.4.pk3:zscript.txt, line 421"

Shame because that's a mod that really benefits from something like this.
m8f

Re: Autoautosave [v0.10.5]

Post by m8f »

Added more checks in version 0.10.5. Please tell me if the problem persists.
Crimsondrgn

Re: Autoautosave [v0.10.5]

Post by Crimsondrgn »

Seems to be working fine now, thanks for the quick fix.
m8f

Re: Autoautosave [v0.11]

Post by m8f »

Small update: v0.11: added autosave on picking up Rebel Rumble items.
Spaceman333

Re: Autoautosave [v0.11]

Post by Spaceman333 »

I had an idea that would fit perfectly within the frame of this mod; an option to do an automatic screenshot whenever an autosave occurs.

I find myself wanting to take a screenshot while playing, but by the time I get my finger on the button, the moment is over. At the same time, I don't want to do full screen recording due to resource drain, limited hard drive space and extra effort. If this mod could spontaneously take a screenshot any time it saves the game, I think it could give me some cool surprising images.

EDIT: Perhaps the mod could have a setting in the mod options so that it would either Do Autosave Only, Do Both Autosave and Screenshot, Do Screenshot Only.
I think that could be the easiest way to implement this, if the way the mod is structured that doing an autosave is a function that any sensor part of the mod calls for when its triggered to do an autosave.
m8f

Re: Autoautosave [v0.12]

Post by m8f »

Done.

Update (v0.12): added optional screen shot making. A toggle is available for each event.

At this point, I consider this mod cursed: the bugs go unnoticed no matter how long I test it. So if you encounter some, please report.
Spaceman333

Re: Autoautosave [v0.12]

Post by Spaceman333 »

m8f wrote:Done.

Update (v0.12): added optional screen shot making. A toggle is available for each event.
Yeah! Thank you! :D
At this point, I consider this mod cursed: the bugs go unnoticed no matter how long I test it. So if you encounter some, please report.
What do you mean by cursed? Do you expect or suspect there is some sort of error that is likely to happen?
Since I have the mod on by default, I can pay attention and perhaps catch something while regularly playing. Is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for?

With the previous version, I've done 3 playthroughs so far and the mod seemed to work perfectly as far as I can tell.
m8f

Re: Autoautosave [v0.12] (+auto screen shots)

Post by m8f »

No, I don't expect something in particular to happen, the mod should be stable by now. I mean that I won't be very surprised if I discover that I forgot some option, or misspelled a word, or something like that.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

m8f wrote:No, I don't expect something in particular to happen, the mod should be stable by now. I mean that I won't be very surprised if I discover that I forgot some option, or misspelled a word, or something like that.
Understood. I guess its more to do with the sheer amount of options and features the mod has, making it tricky to keep track of it all.

If I come across any setting that fails to work during my play sessions, I'll be sure to report it.
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

This is a great mod, but there's a big problem with it - it doesn't check to see if the player is in a safe spot before saving. So, if you're about to be wasted by shotgunners and you grab the yellow key, it'll save even though you're seconds from death. Is it possible to make it so it only saves when monsters aren't alerted, aren't in their missile state, the player hasn't fired recently, there are no monsters within X units, or some other method of figuring out if the player is at a safe point to save?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”