[minimod] Demon CounterStrike v0.05d: What the heck

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [minimod] Demon CounterStrike v0.05c: I'm slow, thanks

Post by Nems »

I hate double posting but I wanted to report a possible issue with this mod regarding Ultimate Doom support. I've had some Doom 2 monsters spawn in as invisible (Heavy Chaingunner, Pain Elemental, and Hell Knight) but still able to attack me while others don't seem to have this issue (like the Revenant).

At the very least I can turn off the spawn rates for the Doom 2 enemies in Ultimate Doom to keep this from happening but I felt like it was still something worth bringing up in case there was anything that can be done about it. :P
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

There is an option in the latest release that shuts that stuff off completely, or you can look up the probability ratings of undesired creatures and switch them off that way (you know, in case you still don't want Revenants and Arch-Viles stinking up MAP 01 for you!)

That said, this mod reminds me very much of the first Turok game on the N64, which I played to death as a kid (but I hated the choppiness of the second game, which I hear got remedied in the Steam HD release). In Turok, which did play out much like Doom in having a skeleton story to get you started, after you nailed the local creature population, sticking around only netted you "Nightmare" respawns of the same threats well after they dissolved into nothing, thus saving the map maker some face and preventing total boredom as you were pushed into moving on and away from eventual reinforcements.

This Mod does exactly that. It actually keeps you on your toes and helps to recycle any given boring '94 map by offering a fresh coat of paint. It also works with virtually any mod because it's so alien, miscellaneous and stand-alone that nobody can complain about it not working. If it is going to spawn something from SIRENS, for example, if it will spawn the Former Human, it spawns a neophyte instead. The fact that everything is adjustable prevents gameplay imbalances since SIRENS' "Former Human" takes many more hits and seems a little more accurate with her spells.

In other words, this is one of the best mods nobody has ever heard of and I hope that it continues to bug-fix as time goes on!
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I made an edit of this mod that is custom-tailored to Hideous Destructor's varied enemy and item sets, for those so inclined. I'd be happy to share the mod here, with Laggy's consent.
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:I made an edit of this mod that is custom-tailored to Hideous Destructor's varied enemy and item sets, for those so inclined. I'd be happy to share the mod here, with Laggy's consent.
Fine by me. :D
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/q689256ds ... ike-HD.pk3

EDIT: Also, I took the advice of that first dude about the options menu, and made it so you can always find DCS options in the options menu.
DemonCounterStrike-v0.05c.pk3
(32.4 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
krisiun

Post by krisiun »

Thanks, that's exactly what i'm looking for, tired of getting lost in maps without nothing to do.
Laggy

Re: [minimod] Demon CounterStrike v0.05d: What the heck

Post by Laggy »

It's been more than a year and I just noticed rocket launcher spawners weren't working. What the heck?
It was a small typo, but it's fixed now.

http://static.allfearthesentinel.net/wa ... v0.05d.pk3 - Regular version.
http://static.allfearthesentinel.net/wa ... onmenu.pk3 - DCS options are located in the options menu. GZDoom only.
http://static.allfearthesentinel.net/wa ... nomenu.pk3 - DCS options can only be accessed through console. (openmenu dcsmenu)

I have plans for an actual update but I've been busy finishing University stuff. Maybe in a few weeks.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

I never even realized the Rocket Launcher Spawner wasn't happening, but then again, I shut those off because I don't need a bunch of Rocket Launchers; I expect levels to have those (and when I don't I usually shouldn't need one anyway).
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

This really gives me some Bioshock/System Shock memories where you never know when and where an enemy is going to respawn in the entire area, amazing job and glad it is compatible with most mods I have checked! :D
UAC guy
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by UAC guy »

does it work with other games, like hexen and strife?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”