[WIP] QuakeStyle Unbound

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
That_Blind_Guy

[WIP] QuakeStyle Unbound

Post by That_Blind_Guy »

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/ckRuGnW[/imgur]
Only took me about 7 months to get this up, but it's finally here!

QuakeStyle Unbound is a gameplay/randomizer mod for GZDoom 2.4+, created by myself and Xterra, the author of QuakeStyle ZX with a fair bit of input from Silentzorah, the author of DoomZone and the original QuakeStyle. It is currently being updated using 3.2.5, so there's no need to downgrade if you're using the latest version.

How does this relate to the other QuakeStyle mods? This is, for all intents and purposes, a sequel to ZX, adding greater complexity to weapons and monsters, player classes, new difficulty settings, etc.

Just like it's predecessors, weapons, monsters, and items are all tied to random spawners, things are generally sensible so as to preserve the balance of whatever map you use with it as best we can.

Get the release or devbuild versions of the mod at the links below!
Release: http://zorasoft.net/doom.html
Repository Build: https://github.com/BrianCWillis/QuakeStyleUnbound

The following information relates to the current devbuild. Most of this is true of v1.1 as well, but if you play that version, you'll notice a fair few things are missing.

Weapons
Spoiler:
Monsters
Spoiler:
Items
Spoiler:
There are many other things, but I think now is a good time to let the mod speak for itself, partly because my post got too long and was flagged as spam. You'll find the mod info and currently incomplete credits inside the Documentation folder packaged with the mod files. We're still working on those, and it's especially lacking in the devbuild.

Lastly, have a video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX4JUHiPfM0&t=88s

Thanks for giving this post the time of day. hope you all enjoy!
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tag on the screenshots.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] QuakeStyle Unbound

Post by Nems »

:D

Glad to see this having a topic of its own as well. I love randomizer mods and what I've played of this so far (previous versions) is pretty damn sweet. <3
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Great to see this get updated! I always loved playing QuakeStyle, it had a similar feel to Doomzone but without the classes.

I like this version so far, but honestly some of the weapon sprites/sounds are kind of rough and feel unpolished next to some of the other ones.
That_Blind_Guy

Post by That_Blind_Guy »

I like this version so far, but honestly some of the weapon sprites/sounds are kind of rough and feel unpolished next to some of the other ones.
Yeah, with the quantity of weapons in this mod, that has always been a challenge for us. That'll be a continuous effort as the project moves forward.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Bug report: The rifle's bayonette does 9 damage, making it completely pointless to use.

Also, the weapon wheel is kinda broken and only allows moving the cursor up and down. I remember the original weapon wheel mod having configuration options and stuff. That should probably be included.

Lastly, since there's a massive amount of weapons and some people may not want to use the weapon wheel (which is kinda hard to read to begin with since there's so many weapon slots on it), you may want to implement a weapon slot limit system. Like only allowing players to pick up 2 weapons per slot. Should probably also implement weapon dropping to go with this. I can't use GZDoom's default drop weapon button with this mod which I'd like to use to keep my slots neat so I only have the weapons I'm planning to use in a given run.

EDIT: NVM about the weapon wheel configuration thing. Didn't read the documentation sorry.
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

Big fan of QuakeStyle and its variants here. Keep it going, guys!
Also, I'd like to report a bug. Even with the sv_infinite_ammo set into 1, using the rifle's alternate fire, where it sometimes does fire, still consumes its ammo.
That_Blind_Guy

Post by That_Blind_Guy »

Even with the sv_infinite_ammo set into 1, using the rifle's alternate fire, where it sometimes does fire, still consumes its ammo.
That action has since been removed from the mod in favor of a combo. You can set off that short-range, high-power shot by having the primary fire key held down as the gun begins to lower back to its idle position. The reason for the ammo usage was we forgot to include the TIF_NOTAKEINFINITE flag in that state, which has since been dealt with.
Bug report: The rifle's bayonette does 9 damage, making it completely pointless to use.
That's not a bug. Which class are you using? Technician receives a 35% reduction to melee damage. We set the damage to 15, so with that nerf, and cutting off float values, that comes out to 9. That should explain the weakness of it.
ince there's a massive amount of weapons and some people may not want to use the weapon wheel (which is kinda hard to read to begin with since there's so many weapon slots on it), you may want to implement a weapon slot limit system.
The massive loadout potential has become a staple of the series. We had entertained the idea in the past, but decided against it.
Should probably also implement weapon dropping to go with this. I can't use GZDoom's default drop weapon button with this mod which I'd like to use to keep my slots neat so I only have the weapons I'm planning to use in a given run.
There are some weapons that cannot be dropped. Class-exclusives can't since you can't get them back should a player of a different class pick up the discarded weapon, nor would they be able to give it back since they can't equip it. Also because of some old bugs that go back to older QuakeStyle mods, the Pistol can't be dropped either. Everything else drops just fine. That's how I made the weapon screenshot.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Another bug. If you use the Sniper class and hold fire before moving, you'll stay invisible while moving and quad shotgun's alt fire doesn't consume any type of ammo.
That_Blind_Guy

Post by That_Blind_Guy »

Someone64 wrote:Another bug. If you use the Sniper class and hold fire before moving, you'll stay invisible while moving and quad shotgun's alt fire doesn't consume any type of ammo.
Ahh, yeah that's a serious problem. Xterra's doing audiovisual work at the moment. Once he's done, I think I know how to fix that. Thanks. :)
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I think 15's still pretty damn low for the rifle considering the risk you're taking to melee attack with it. What's the difference between the two revolver fire modes btw? It seems that they revolver shot sounds get cut off by jumping sounds.
That_Blind_Guy

Post by That_Blind_Guy »

Someone64 wrote:I think 15's still pretty damn low for the rifle considering the risk you're taking to melee attack with it. What's the difference between the two revolver fire modes btw? It seems that they revolver shot sounds get cut off by jumping sounds.
It is actually 15d8 (or it's supposed to be), same as the Knife, but I'm not against upping it. Something like 20d8 would guarantee a one-shot against basic Zombiemen. As for the Revolver, the alt-fire is a limited-range wadcutter-type shot. Fixed and rather high damage, but useless against armored enemies (stone, cybernetic, bosses). We're going to make that a combo fire thing, give it more visual distinction, and replace the alt-fire with an overhead knife swing.

Not sure how we missed that sound bug. I'll pass that along to Xterra.
That_Blind_Guy

Post by That_Blind_Guy »

New gameplay demo with a few more details, as well as a show of normal gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbDX3U2WnWY

I'm not sure if this is a sufficient post for bumping the thread. If not, then I will hold off touching the thread until a new release build is published.

Note that this is slightly more developed than the current dev build. It will be at least a few days before that gets updated.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'd like to request some sort of scripted Randomspawner that checks the player's inventory and the map for weapons to decide which ammo to spawn. In the past you could've run into the unfortunate situation of finding a rocket launcher, but mostly if not only grenades. Or a plasma rifle but no cells, only slugs for a railgun you don't possess. This becomes especially frustrating when pistol starting. Another good example would be two chaingun spots in a map. If one spawns a nailgun, then make the second never spawn another nailgun but a bullet based weapon.
Ahpiox

Post by Ahpiox »

Uh, where enemies?
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

There are some weapons that cannot be dropped. Class-exclusives can't since you can't get them back should a player of a different class pick up the discarded weapon, nor would they be able to give it back since they can't equip it.
@That_Blind_Guy

There are two properties for this purpose:

Inventory.RestrictedTo "classname[, classname2[, classname3[, ...]]]"
Inventory.ForbiddenTo "classname[, classname2[, classname3[, ...]]]"

Return to “Gameplay Mods”