[minimod][v3.10.1] Weapon Menu +

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.7]

Post by Hexereticdoom »

m8f wrote:Edit: minor update (v2.7.1)
- updated support for HXRTC Project Golden Edition.
Wow, blimey! That was quite fast! :o

Thanks a lot for your support my friend! :thumb:
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.8]

Post by m8f »

Update (v2.8):
- optional time slow down on menu open or zoom (if Slomo Bullettime by Spaceman333 is loaded too)

Inventory Menu improvements:
- it now works together with GZDoom inventory system. Highlighting item in menu now sets it is a selected item;
- now items can be marked for quick access even on closed Inventory Menu;
- quick access items are now remembered between levels.

Zoom and laser sight improvements:
- allow zoom factor 1.0 (for weapon mods that reset zoom factor on weapon recoil);
- hide laser sight on close distances;
- minor laser sight optimizations.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.9]

Post by m8f »

Update (v2.9):
Bigger things:
- experimental feature: show icon for highlighted weapon.
- reorganized Weapon Menu display options (turned a bunch of settings into 10 presets). Now it is easier to configure how menu looks.

Smaller things:
- added an option to disable gibbing;
- zoom is now restored after firing quick weapon;
- added GZDoom missile clipping option to menu (in GZDoom, it is buried in Compatibility options, but has huge impact on gameplay);
- improved readability.
WallyTheBoogieBug

Post by WallyTheBoogieBug »

Love what you're doing here, and the rapid iteration is really cool to see. The customizability of this is superb too! I have some concerns and a bug(?) report though:

On the topic of bugs: In the current version (2.9), opening the Weapon Menu inventory and closing it leaves a few menu items on the screen, permanently. They don't wipe away until a new level is loaded. I've used the inventory in previous iterations and this didn't occur, so I assume its a bug. You can test this yourself very easily in Hexen by using Give All and opening the inventory then closing it. I can provide screenshots if it's not reproducible on your end.

On a different topic, here's an idea for the experimental weapon icon feature: perhaps weapons which don't have an identifiable ground sprite for whatever reason (Final Doomer's comes to mind, since the weapon drops are just dummy items which change depending on the class, and are naturally invisible according to the conditions Weapon Menu is looking for), a first person sprite from the Ready state could be used instead? That could possibly deal with a lot of edge cases, but I don't think it'd work for every mod out there. Worth a try, I think.

In fact, having an optional mode where the icon is always the first person sprite may prove useful. Players stare at it far more than they do the ground sprites, so it may be more immediately identifiable when players are in the middle of a fire fight and are looking at the menu through the corner of their eye.

And on a completely different topic, I don't mean to chastise you or criticize this nice QOL mod, but having things like the zoom, gib toggles, holstering, junk throw, force pistol start, laser sight, and other options in this mod seems a little weird for a mod titling itself simply "Weapon Menu". Perhaps it would be wise to split those options off into a separate mod, something called "Universal Gameplay Tweaks" or something to that effect? Just a thought and its really up to you, but I feel like those options are getting further and further away from the mod's title and may confuse users looking for a simple solution. Alternatively, you could move all those options to a submenu called "Extras", which may communicate the same thing.
m8f

Post by m8f »

WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:Love what you're doing here, and the rapid iteration is really cool to see. The customizability of this is superb too!
Thanks!
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote: On the topic of bugs: In the current version (2.9), opening the Weapon Menu inventory and closing it leaves a few menu items on the screen, permanently. They don't wipe away until a new level is loaded. I've used the inventory in previous iterations and this didn't occur, so I assume its a bug. You can test this yourself very easily in Hexen by using Give All and opening the inventory then closing it. I can provide screenshots if it's not reproducible on your end.
Thanks for noticing. It happened only in mods where there are more inventory items than weapons, that's why I missed it. Fixed in 2.9.1.
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:On a different topic, here's an idea for the experimental weapon icon feature: perhaps weapons which don't have an identifiable ground sprite for whatever reason (Final Doomer's comes to mind, since the weapon drops are just dummy items which change depending on the class, and are naturally invisible according to the conditions Weapon Menu is looking for), a first person sprite from the Ready state could be used instead? That could possibly deal with a lot of edge cases, but I don't think it'd work for every mod out there. Worth a try, I think.

In fact, having an optional mode where the icon is always the first person sprite may prove useful. Players stare at it far more than they do the ground sprites, so it may be more immediately identifiable when players are in the middle of a fire fight and are looking at the menu through the corner of their eye.
I already tried that. These images are much harder to work with: they are too big and they don't have suitable offsets. This feature has to wait until I find a way to manipulate image size and offset in runtime.
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:And on a completely different topic, I don't mean to chastise you or criticize this nice QOL mod, but having things like the zoom, gib toggles, holstering, junk throw, force pistol start, laser sight, and other options in this mod seems a little weird for a mod titling itself simply "Weapon Menu". Perhaps it would be wise to split those options off into a separate mod, something called "Universal Gameplay Tweaks" or something to that effect? Just a thought and its really up to you, but I feel like those options are getting further and further away from the mod's title and may confuse users looking for a simple solution. Alternatively, you could move all those options to a submenu called "Extras", which may communicate the same thing.
This bothers me too. But some of these features share common "framework" with Weapon Menu, and moving them to a separate mod will result in duplicating the code. Some features work together: for example, laser sight must know about currently selected weapon slot to be hidden for fist and chainsaw, so it cannot be separated from menu. Zoom can work with laser sight, so it cannot be separated too, and so on.
I already separated gameplay options from menu options, removed advanced controls from GZDoom Controls menu, and in Weapon Menu Controls section advanced controls are in a separate section. I think is is close enough to "Extras".

Minor update (v2.9.1):
- fixed clearing screen for inventory menu
- fixed centered mode for even number of weapons
- added placeholder icon for weapons without icon
- added optional Slomo Bullettime on quick access fire
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.10]

Post by m8f »

Update (v2.10). Not much, just some fixes:
- fixed support for Tactical Chainsaw and UAC Survival Pack mods;
- fixed weapon icons for: Final Doomer, Parkour, NoLagsWeps_SwitchFaster, HXRTC Project, WW-Cola3, Beautiful Doom, Argent, Combined Arms, Dead Marine, Smooth Doom, PerK's Smoother Weapon Animations Enhanced, IWAD Doom/Doom2 weapons. Most of them just needed a brass knuckles icon, so I added modified version of Final Doomer icon - thanks to Sgt. Shivers for permission.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.11]

Post by m8f »

Update (v2.11):
- added/fixed weapon icons for: Hunter's Moon, Complex Doom, Lambda;
- fixed key for Weapon Menu Options, put this key to GZDoom Controls;
- fixed: ammo counts are now updated when menu is opened and ammo is picked up or you spend ammo;
- removed Brutal Doom Purist extended support to allow Project Brutality universal support. Both mods now work fine;
- New: added "Select most powerful weapon" key.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.12]

Post by m8f »

Update (v2.12):
- added support for abort_m. This mod is special in every possible way :D
- fixed a bug with no space between slot numbers 10-11 and weapon tags.
- custom weapon order (changed weapon slots and priority inside slot) is now saved between maps and games.
It is reset if you start a game with another weapon set, but is saved as long as you keep the same weapon set.

Download link is on OP, as always.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.13]

Post by m8f »

Small update (v2.13):
- added weapon bobbing multiplier. It is possible to turn weapon bobbing off at all.
- mods without Extended Support now can show not acquired weapons too. So the difference between Extended Support mode and Universal mode should be not visible to user at all. That's why I removed the list of supported mods from OP. Every mod should be supported now without limitations (some limitations still apply to features in Extras menu).
- added an option to light up not acquired weapons (like particles effect in Dead Marine, but more subtle). Works only for vanillish mods (that don't have custom pickups instead of weapons).
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I've encountered an oddity again, this time with Cyan-Doom. It loads the default Doom weapons in the mod fine, but the extra weapons don't show on the weapon menu. Before the latest update to Weapon Menu, I could Force Universal Mode and then it would work just fine, but it seems something about the mod isn't letting yours catch these normally perhaps. That and I can't seem to find the Force Universal in 2.13 now.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

Ummm... Shouldn't it be something else than Project MSX?

http://prntscr.com/jobi06
m8f

Post by m8f »

RikohZX wrote:I've encountered an oddity again, this time with Cyan-Doom. It loads the default Doom weapons in the mod fine, but the extra weapons don't show on the weapon menu. Before the latest update to Weapon Menu, I could Force Universal Mode and then it would work just fine, but it seems something about the mod isn't letting yours catch these normally perhaps. That and I can't seem to find the Force Universal in 2.13 now.
Thanks for reporting! Version 2.13.1 is uploaded with a fix for Cyan-Doom. The problem was that Cyan-Doom doesn't define its own player class, and vanilla weapon set was used instead. The fix also contains proper weapon tags for minigun and railgun. An option to force fallback mode is removed because if something doesn't work out of the box, it's a bug and should be reported and fixed.
TheNightATK300 wrote:Ummm... Shouldn't it be something else than Project MSX?
Forgot to update the description. Thanks for noticing.
namsan

Post by namsan »

Pistol start option is not working well with Ultra-Crispy.
This option does remove my ammunition, but it can't remove my weapons.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.14]

Post by m8f »

namsan wrote:Pistol start option is not working well with Ultra-Crispy.
This option does remove my ammunition, but it can't remove my weapons.
Thanks for reporting! It's fixed now. Please try with version 2.14.

Update (v2.14)
- fixed a bug and added some missed things to pistol start script, including more robust way to remove weapons and ammo, and also Hexen armor.
- Weapon and inventory menu are now hidden when automap is shown.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.15]

Post by m8f »

Update (v2.15)
- added optional gradient background for menu;
- added an option to add space between slots.

See first screenshot in OP.

Edit: minor update (v2.15.1):
- fixed a bug with unusable menu if it is used before it is initialized;
- updated Factotum support;
- decreased minimum for step size multiplier.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”