[minimod][v3.10.1] Weapon Menu +

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v3.2]

Post by m8f »

Updates time. (vv3.1-3.2)

- reorganized menus;
- added controls that were not in keyconf to keyconf. If after this change you find "Customize Controls" menu bloated and unusable, try Customize Controls V2.

- added the extended support for Strife, and an icon for Strife Punch Dagger;
- added a key to select next weapon in this slot. Is useful to switch weapon modes in Strife, can be used with other IWADs/mods too;
- added an icon for fists from Codename Veneza;
- fixed Weapon Menu gradient background for high resolution screens;
- fixed Combined Arms support and added icons for Combined Arms Blastmaster (except Ice Beam);
- fixed bug: weapons with multiple ammo types were not marked empty.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

I apologize if this has been asked or addressed before, and I'm not sure if something like this would even be possible or in the scope of this mod, but I was wondering if there were any way to add item/inventory support? I mean sort of like a quick select menu you open with a key press with maybe like a column on the side or top with little drop down buttons for the weapon groups to select weapons easily by mouse and a main "grid" where you could just mouse over and select an inventory item to use via click or place in the world in the case of mines/grenades and such. Nothing we haven't seen in games a million times before, but would be absolutely amazing for Doom mods with large amounts of added weapons and items that need to be placed in world quickly. I am no coder so I have no idea how difficult, or not, something like this may be. If that is just a ridiculous idea feel free to point and laugh at the suggestion lol.
m8f

Post by m8f »

I doubt that any way of manipulating the inventory with the mouse will be faster than the current way (with keys). I'm quite content how Inventory Menu works now. For the fastest access to items, there is a flexible system of quick inventory keys.

This idea is not bad, and I may consider implementing it some day... Probably after Weapon Menu is rewritten in ZScript, and this event won't happen in foreseeable future.

By the way, the thing you described is in progress by krokots.
ate0ate

Post by ate0ate »

Oh wow, thanks for the link to that. I kinda had the feeling it was a pretty impossible task since it doesn't yet exist and there's no way the idea could've not come up before. I don't dislike the current system myself, in most cases. But there are some mods where you really wanna just chuck out like five different items as fast as possible and there's no way to do it without individual keybinds, which is kinda hard when you have nerve damage lol. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v3.3]

Post by m8f »

Small update (v3.3).

Changes:
- fixed Doom Incarnate support;
- added Guncaster extended support.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

m8f wrote:Small update (v3.3).

Changes:
- fixed Doom Incarnate support;
- added Guncaster extended support.
For the people that have never used the two together, can you please detail what the "Guncaster extended support" is?
m8f

Post by m8f »

Weapon Menu is universal, it has basic support for almost any weapon mod. Basic support means that WM t tries its best to detect the mod's weapons. The problem with the Guncaster was that weapon variants for Hexen were detected inall other games, and vice versa. So the custom definitions of Guncaster weapon sets were added to this mod. Also I addad an icon for melee.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v3.4]

Post by m8f »

Update. New version 3.4 brings various small fixes:

- SSG is now hidden from menu for Freedoom Episode 1;
- Doom Delta: added an icon for the Bayonet, enabled weapon holstering feature;
- Added Vanilla Doom smooth weapons support (as a DeHackEd mod, it needed special handling);
- Fixed PerK Enhanced support;
- Eliminated code warnings about truncation of float values (ZScript) and missing classes (ACS);
- Fixed "Open Weapon Menu Options" key.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v3.5]

Post by m8f »

Update: v3.5.

Changelog:
- added missing keys to keyconf;
- added Doom 64: Retribution extended support (proper weapon names, fist icon);
- code cleanup (moved ZScript classes to separate files, zscriptified Throw Junk, removed Weapon Menu CVar API, removed unused functions).
OlegGontar

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v3.5]

Post by OlegGontar »

This mod seems good, I am downloading it :)
m8f

Re: [minimod][v3.6] Weapon Menu +

Post by m8f »

Small update (v3.6). Changes:

Added:
- weapon or inventory menu opened state is restored on map change;
- Gargoyle Wing font;

Fixed:
- ammo counter for weapons with second ammo type only;
- sounds being overridden by menu switch sound;
- code chore. Code is still terrible.

Edit:
Update v3.6.1: added support for Guncaster Addon.
m8f

Re: [minimod][v3.7] Weapon Menu +

Post by m8f »

Small update (v3.7). Changes:

- added Shadow Warrior Tiny font by Jimmy (thanks to Kinsie).
- disabled looping over weapon and inventory menus. It's much more convenient. To restore the old behavior, flip the "Menu Looping Enabled" option to "Yes" in Behavior options.
- improved option menus (slightly better grammar, more spacing for readability).
- code chore (minor cleanups here and there, zscriptified Infinite Ammo for Slot 2 option).

Also, Weapon Menu is now more than a year old!
Many things happened during this year. Weapon Menu started as a small ACS script and grew into an ACS/ZScript hybrid monstrosity. There were dubious solutions, like an early universality attempt (that huge keyconf script :glare:), feature bloating, which still isn't dealt with entirely. But I hope it's better now. The old version (v3.6) was downloaded more than 150 times, which I think means some level of success. Thanks to everyone who uses the Weapon menu, and especially who provided feedback!
m8f

Re: [minimod][v3.7.1] Weapon Menu + (Even DoomRL Arsenal!)

Post by m8f »

Small update: v3.7.1.

This update restores DoomRL Arsenal compatibility and makes it even better by supporting icons for DRLA weapons.

Holy hell, DRLA is huge!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Hell yeah! Thanks for this. Really glad icon support is fully implemented, too. Haven't seen any fucked up icons so far.

Are you planning on tweaking universal mode to accommodate huge weapon packs like this in the future without causing runaway script crashing? I'm not sure if we'll ever see a weapon pack as insane as DRLA again but I THINK some mods like Complex Doom with tons of addons or something might end up pushing it again.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Someone64 wrote:Are you planning on tweaking universal mode to accommodate huge weapon packs like this in the future without causing runaway script crashing?
Actually, this is exactly what I did :D DRLA support is working via the universal mode under the hood now.

It's worth noting that DRLA broke Weapon Menu just because Weapon Menu scripts were not fast enough to process all the weapons. GZDoom thought "this script is working too long, probably it is in an infinite loop. There were no infinite loops. Now the universal weapon processing is more optimized.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”