[minimod][v3.10.1] Weapon Menu +

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.21]

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Oh, great. I'll notify you whenever i update the mods.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.22]

Post by m8f »

Gideon020 wrote:Just so you know, this doesn't work with Railgunner's X-Weapon mod. I think it has too many guns for the wmauto system.
Now it works!

Update 1.22:
- added X-Weapon
- added UAC Survival Pack
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.23]

Post by m8f »

And one more update. When will it end?

v1.23:
  • fix Tactical Chainsaw support
  • better weapon name recognition for OMG! Weapons and Monsters (wmauto)
  • Harmony support
  • new key: fire/altfire from quick access weapon (previously called "favorite"). Can be used as:
    1. dedicated "Throw Grenade" button in High Noon Drifter
    2. last resort BFG shot
    3. melee "altfire" for mods that don't have melee altfire
    4. your own cool weapon combo
Someone64

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.23] (+ fire from quick access weapon)

Post by Someone64 »

Some suggestions:
-Allow the "prev/next opens menu" option for number keys. Meaning it should be optional for the keys to trigger the menu so you're not forced to click to switch.

-Another is to allow the weapon menu to be used without forcing click to switch so it is instead used as a dynamic list display instead. Always show menu is a nice option but sometimes you'd just want to menu to be shown as you're switching with vanilla behavior.

-Allow scroll quick switching without the menu like vanilla allows. When scroll is set NOT to use the weapon menu but uses the mod's switch keybinds, unlike vanilla it won't scroll through the list to queue a weapon to be selected until the current weapon that's still being selected is done being selected.

-Allow weapon number keys to behave like vanilla scroll wheel weapon select. When you scroll with vanilla binds, it shows the weapon labels of the weapon you're about to select and then queues it to be selected after the current one is done. Number keys should be able to show these labels and queue the same way as if you were using the weapon menu.

-Allow the quick weapon use function to be held to hold fire on the quick selected weapon. This could be useful if your quick selected weapon is an automatic fire weapon or if you just want to keep punching without it switching back. This would also be problematic with weapons that require to be charged before they can even fire through holding fire and any other implementation of hold fire to charge.

-Allow delay to select option. When you select a weapon the menu should close and weapon should be automatically selected after a customizable amount of time with this option on. Probably won't use it since it's not optimal in gameplay since it slows you down.

-Add Half-life style weapon menu display implementation. This means that everything shows slot numbers only without labels by default, but when a weapon in the slot is selected there is a drop down with (or without with the option not to show them) a weapon label which is vertically (if menu is oriented horizontally, vice versa if weapon is oriented vertically) oriented in such a way that it shows the order of weapons in that slot. Something like this except instead of pictures, there's slot numbers and the weapon label should only be shown for the current selected weapon (except that space can be afforded to show ALL labels if the menu is oriented horizontally, which can be another option).

-Add Half-life weapon menu style activation condition as an option. I'm not sure if Half-life does this or only Sven co-op but it quick switches you to your weapon if you press its number but it's the only weapon in the slot. If there is more than one weapon in the slot the weapon menu activates and you have to press the same number more than once to cycle through said slot's weapons like normal (with the required click to select and everything).

-Make it so that if you press the number key for a slot that has several weapons and you already have one of them equipped, instead of starting at the bottom of the list by default (redundantly placing the selection on the bottom of the list if that's what you already have equipped), make it move to the next weapon instead. So if slot 3 is comprised of shotgun, double shotgun, and quad shotgun and you have the double shotgun equipped, pressing 3 shouldn't open the menu just to put it back to shotgun. It should select the quad shotgun. If you have the quad equipped it should switch to the shotgun, if you have the shotgun equipped it should not switch to itself (which is current behavior and is redundant if you're doing it to switch) but rather the double shotgun. This behavior should probably be optional as the current behavior may also have its uses.

I'm really enjoying this mod since it helps a ton with mods that have an ass-load of weapons so keep up the good work. Quite happy about the amount of hand-made compatibility patches, too! Hopefully the auto detect system can be improved enough so that if nobody makes compat patches for weapon-menu anymore it can still survive on its own.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.23] (+ fire from quick access weapon)

Post by m8f »

Wow! That's quite a list!
Someone64 wrote:-Allow the "prev/next opens menu" option for number keys. Meaning it should be optional for the keys to trigger the menu so you're not forced to click to switch.
-Another is to allow the weapon menu to be used without forcing click to switch so it is instead used as a dynamic list display instead. Always show menu is a nice option but sometimes you'd just want to menu to be shown as you're switching with vanilla behavior.
-Allow scroll quick switching without the menu like vanilla allows. When scroll is set NOT to use the weapon menu but uses the mod's switch keybinds, unlike vanilla it won't scroll through the list to queue a weapon to be selected until the current weapon that's still being selected is done being selected.
-Allow weapon number keys to behave like vanilla scroll wheel weapon select. When you scroll with vanilla binds, it shows the weapon labels of the weapon you're about to select and then queues it to be selected after the current one is done. Number keys should be able to show these labels and queue the same way as if you were using the weapon menu.
Just using standard keybinds will help with that, won't it?
Someone64 wrote: -Allow the quick weapon use function to be held to hold fire on the quick selected weapon. This could be useful if your quick selected weapon is an automatic fire weapon or if you just want to keep punching without it switching back. This would also be problematic with weapons that require to be charged before they can even fire through holding fire and any other implementation of hold fire to charge.
Good idea, will do in some of the next updates. Right now you can press "quick weapon fire" key and then hold normal fire key to do that. The weapon may fire twice, though.
Someone64 wrote: -Allow delay to select option. When you select a weapon the menu should close and weapon should be automatically selected after a customizable amount of time with this option on. Probably won't use it since it's not optimal in gameplay since it slows you down.
Honestly, I don't see a reason why I should make this option.
Someone64 wrote: -Add Half-life style weapon menu display implementation. This means that everything shows slot numbers only without labels by default, but when a weapon in the slot is selected there is a drop down with (or without with the option not to show them) a weapon label which is vertically (if menu is oriented horizontally, vice versa if weapon is oriented vertically) oriented in such a way that it shows the order of weapons in that slot. Something like this except instead of pictures, there's slot numbers and the weapon label should only be shown for the current selected weapon (except that space can be afforded to show ALL labels if the menu is oriented horizontally, which can be another option).
This would be cool, but require some more work. Maybe later. Also, I did this in a patch for NC HUD.
Someone64 wrote: -Add Half-life weapon menu style activation condition as an option. I'm not sure if Half-life does this or only Sven co-op but it quick switches you to your weapon if you press its number but it's the only weapon in the slot. If there is more than one weapon in the slot the weapon menu activates and you have to press the same number more than once to cycle through said slot's weapons like normal (with the required click to select and everything).
Maybe I'll add this option, but I consider this behavior inconsistent and harmful: if you don't remember how many weapons you have in the slot, you don't know if you should press "fire" to select a weapon or not. Right now I developed a strong "[slot key][fire]" habit. So with this option on, I would occasionally waste ammo or blast myself with rocket launcher. :D
Someone64 wrote: -Make it so that if you press the number key for a slot that has several weapons and you already have one of them equipped, instead of starting at the bottom of the list by default (redundantly placing the selection on the bottom of the list if that's what you already have equipped), make it move to the next weapon instead. So if slot 3 is comprised of shotgun, double shotgun, and quad shotgun and you have the double shotgun equipped, pressing 3 shouldn't open the menu just to put it back to shotgun. It should select the quad shotgun. If you have the quad equipped it should switch to the shotgun, if you have the shotgun equipped it should not switch to itself (which is current behavior and is redundant if you're doing it to switch) but rather the double shotgun. This behavior should probably be optional as the current behavior may also have its uses.
You're right, current behavior is made such deliberately, so you always select a specific weapon with a specific key sequence, regardless of what weapon you hold (in vanilla, "[3][fire]" is always SSG, [3][3][fire] is always SG). I'll consider adding this option though.
Someone64 wrote: I'm really enjoying this mod since it helps a ton with mods that have an ass-load of weapons so keep up the good work. Quite happy about the amount of hand-made compatibility patches, too! Hopefully the auto detect system can be improved enough so that if nobody makes compat patches for weapon-menu anymore it can still survive on its own.
Thank you!
Right now wmauto works pretty good if weapon mod doesn't do some strange stuff :D If you notice that it doesn't work, please let me know.
About compatibility patches (strictly speaking, they are not patches as they are built-in), it's pretty easy to add bare-bones support to a weapon mod, so if I suddenly stop updating the mod (I don't plan to stop), anyone can do this.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.24] (+instant switch option)

Post by m8f »

Update v1.24:
  • added Doom Delta support
  • added instant weapon switch option (default: never)
    Available values: 1. never, 2. only to fire quick access weapons, 3. always.
    This option doesn't work with mods that have custom select/deselect weapon animations.
    Firing quick access weapons with instant switching can act as a makeshift melee altfire for vanilla weapons and some mods.
    Edit: Or you can just use Brutalkick, it works with everything.
Last edited by m8f on Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.25]

Post by m8f »

Someone64 wrote: -Make it so that if you press the number key for a slot that has several weapons and you already have one of them equipped, instead of starting at the bottom of the list by default (redundantly placing the selection on the bottom of the list if that's what you already have equipped), make it move to the next weapon instead. So if slot 3 is comprised of shotgun, double shotgun, and quad shotgun and you have the double shotgun equipped, pressing 3 shouldn't open the menu just to put it back to shotgun. It should select the quad shotgun. If you have the quad equipped it should switch to the shotgun, if you have the shotgun equipped it should not switch to itself (which is current behavior and is redundant if you're doing it to switch) but rather the double shotgun. This behavior should probably be optional as the current behavior may also have its uses.
I just realized that you can get something very close to this by enabling "Open menu on next/prev" option. It is basically the same, only for next/prev keys. When enabled, the menu is opened and the next/previous weapon is highlighted when you press next/prev key.

Also an update v1.25:
  • added Holster Weapon key. Idea from this topic.
  • fixed: fire quick access weapon now doesn't reset last used weapon.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.26]

Post by m8f »

It's bug fixing time! Update v1.25.2:
* fix quick access fire when weapon is never in ready state
* fix High Noon Drifter weapon tags
* fix inventory checks
* fix inability to fire quick weapon right after acquiring it
* forbid weapon holstering in Doom Delta
* add displaying nametags on weapon scroll
* add BetaPlayer for Doom Delta

Edit: small update: v1.26:
added an option to make player faster when weapon is holstered. Came in handy in Enjay's Runaway Train :) Also may be good for backtracking.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.27]

Post by m8f »

Update v1.27:
- added support (and proper detection) for EVP, Factotum, and Flakes Doom.

Edit: v1.27.1:
- updated support for Factotum 05/05/18
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu [v1.28]

Post by m8f »

Update v1.28:
- updated Weapons of Saturn support
- added an option to select weapon without menu if it is only one in slot.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

A suggestion (that probably only applies to Weapons of Saturn and maybe one other mod I can't remember) for quick weapon use function. This is SIMILAR to quick weapon select that's already implemented except that instead of selecting and staying and having to press again to switch away it equips the weapon and switches away. This would help with using Weapons of Saturn's chainsaw select attack where it has an attack when you switch to it even when you don't fire it. Alternatively this could go with a hold to select feature which is quick weapon select except instead of press to switch, it's hold to switch and letting go deselects the weapon and switches to the old one. That implementation could be useful for any weapon mod.

As of now doing this by pressing the select quick access weapon button can be a bit of a pain as pressing it AGAIN doesn't switch back to the previous weapon (which I suggest also be default behavior) meaning if I want to quick chainsaw select attack using the button, it would be slower and more unwieldy to do it with weapon menu since it involves extra clicks (specially for multi weaponed slots).

Also, adding to the Half-life style weapon menu suggestion, it would be great if you added the Half-life weapon menu switching sound as an option (and renamed hum to shift which I feel makes more sense).
m8f

Post by m8f »

Someone64 wrote:A suggestion (that probably only applies to Weapons of Saturn and maybe one other mod I can't remember) for quick weapon use function. This is SIMILAR to quick weapon select that's already implemented except that instead of selecting and staying and having to press again to switch away it equips the weapon and switches away.
You can get almost this behavior with "Fire quick access weapon" key. It selects quick access weapon, fires it once, and switches back to the weapon you were holding - all with one key press. Or, you can just select quick access weapon with "Select quick access weapon", do whatever you want, and easily switch back to the weapon you were holding pressing the "Last used weapon" key.
Someone64 wrote:Alternatively this could go with a hold to select feature which is quick weapon select except instead of press to switch, it's hold to switch and letting go deselects the weapon and switches to the old one.
You already can get almost this behavior. Press "Fire quick access weapon" key, then before quick access weapon is switched back, press your regural fire key. Quick access weapon will continue to fire until you let off fire key. Then it will be automatically switched back to the weapon you were holding before.
Someone64 wrote:As of now doing this by pressing the select quick access weapon button can be a bit of a pain as pressing it AGAIN doesn't switch back to the previous weapon (which I suggest also be default behavior) meaning if I want to quick chainsaw select attack using the button, it would be slower and more unwieldy to do it with weapon menu since it involves extra clicks (specially for multi weaponed slots).
Again, "Last used weapon" key is your friend here.
Someone64 wrote:Also, adding to the Half-life style weapon menu suggestion, it would be great if you added the Half-life weapon menu switching sound as an option
I'm reluctant to add non-free sounds to the mod. If I find something that is close enough, I'll add it.

Thanks for the feedback! It's great material for thoughts about menu features.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I've already been doing what you suggested which is why I made my previous post. Problem with fire quick access weapon key is that it fires the weapon once. This makes for example, pulling out the chainsaw just to do its strong select attack way longer. It's like if you play a mod with a kick function but your leg gets kinda cramped after the kick and you take long to pull it back it then it just becomes not worth using. Last thing about my earlier suggestion is, even if Last Used Weapon is a thing, some mods (like Hideous Destructor and Fusion Weaver) have an absolutely ridiculous amount of keybinds and minimizing the amount of extra buttons you'd have to bind to effectively use weapon menu might not be as much of an option.

Also, will inventory manipulation ever be something you consider touching for this mod? As hard as managing an ass-ton of weapons is, managing mods/iwads (Heretic and Hexen) with tons of inventory items is an even bigger pain and it would be awesome to have something like this mod for stuff like that.
m8f

Post by m8f »

I'm not a big fan of attaching multiple actions to single key because for me it quickly becomes difficult to remember what does what and in which circumstances.
I'll see what I can do with holding keys down.

About inventory - I'm thinking about this.
m8f

Re: Weapon Menu Plus [v2.0.1]

Post by m8f »

Update: Weapon Menu is now Weapon Menu Plus! (because of features that are not directly associated with the menu).

New things:
1. Menu for inventory items.
Open/close it with binded key. Cycle through items with next/prev keys. Use items it with fire/close key. Close with altfire/close key.
Inventory menu is independent from standard GZDoom inventory system.

2. Laser sight (optional).
There is a key to toggle it in game and an option in Options. Laser sight is not shown for weapons in slot 1.

3. Reorganized quick access fire: removed quick access altfire key, instead of it there is an option for fire mode: normal, altfire, and none.

I'll be glad to hear feedback about inventory menu and other features.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”