Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence 3.5 (Updated 28 August 1

Post by Pixel Eater »

even though the mod ini entry for the rocket reverb remains set to "True" for some reason
Ah shoot is does too. It must be because it's a custom Cvar, I don't think I can fix that :?
Maybe for the next version (hopefully with a manual restore button) I'll place it on the top level for faster access.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well, I actually converted the ACS from the rocket sound "fix" to DECORATE code and just run it manually on demand from within a pk3 file (as something like "vanilla_rocket.pk3"):

Code: Select all

actor VanillaRocket : Rocket replaces Rocket
{
	States
	{
	Death:
		MISL B 8 Bright A_Explode
		MISL C 6 Bright
		MISL D 4 Bright
      TNT1 A 0 A_StopSound(CHAN_VOICE)
		Stop
	}
}
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have compiled a list of flags that should be set. I think the mod does not cover all of them still, e.g. the amount of messages displayed at the same time (con_notifylines). Maybe you can compare with what you do in your mod and add any missing stuff. Guess all the GL entries can be safely ignored if you set the renderer to software, which should be done, anyway.
Spoiler:
There is also a minor mistake in MENUDEF (which doesn't have any consequences, though). This line

Option "Reverbless Rockets", "vaness_shortrocket", VanillaOn
should be

Option "Reverbless Rockets", "vaness_shortrocket", "VanillaOn"
Unfortunately, adding the quotation marks doesn't fix the rocket reverb variable reset when choosing "Auto" and quitting the game.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Hiya NightFright. Thanks for pointing this stuff out! It's currently crunch time for the Spooktober mapping project so I'll have a proper look at it after Halloween when my brain can refocus :thumb:
Pixel Eater

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence 4

Post by Pixel Eater »

Sorry about the wait- hopefully version 4 makes up for it. It's fully togglable and can be bound to a key now (I like F5).
Thanks to everyone who has contributed and hope you all enjoy the rest of your holidays :joker:
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

This is astounding, all vanilla...no chocolate(doom)! I personally think this should be integrated into the standard GZDoom options with how convenient this mod is. Just one thing I've noticed, however, is that this seems to "break" the flashlight mod by SuaveSteve viewtopic.php?f=43&t=59429. Then again, it might be an issue with the flashlight mod since Merser's sprite addon seems to cause the same malfunction as well. Either way your work is amazing (I use autochthonic on a regular basis), keep it up!
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

That's because dynamic lighting is disabled in vanilla. You can turn it on in Vanilla Essence options: Lighting -> GL Dynamic Lights -> On, SW Dynamic Lights -> On.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

m8f wrote:That's because dynamic lighting is disabled in vanilla.
Ah, damn! I knew that...rookie mistake :roll: . Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot about that setting. Previous statement redacted then, the mod is indeed perfect.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

When using "Toggle Vanilla" in Doom, the automap is using Raven mode. I am sure there's something that can be done to prevent this from happening, right? (Unless it's because this is GZDoom default and there's no way to detect which game you are currently running, since it should set the proper automap mode for Doom, Heretic/Hexen and Strife.)
m8f

Post by m8f »

Another suggestion: maybe a retro shader (like the ones linked in this comment) will be a suitable addition to Vanilla Essence. It's for the users that prefer crispy pixelated look. It became more relevant since 320x200 resolution is no longer available in GZDoom 4.0.0.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

@Nightfright: Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I think menus can tell which game is current, might be useful?

@ M8f: Wow that's crazy! No 320x200... well this mod definitely needs that. Wonder what other changes have been happening :shock:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

If I am honest, my minimum resolution I can stand in the game is 640x400 - the rest looks far too pixelated to me. For me, that's "Crispy Doom" look. However, I guess there are enough people out there who want to go 100% vanilla all the way. It's a bit sad that GZDoom doesn't allow that any more.
Pixel Eater

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.1: 320x200p support!

Post by Pixel Eater »

NightFright wrote:If I am honest, my minimum resolution I can stand in the game is 640x400 - the rest looks far too pixelated to me. For me, that's "Crispy Doom" look. However, I guess there are enough people out there who want to go 100% vanilla all the way. It's a bit sad that GZDoom doesn't allow that any more.
I think with the imminent release of Sigil a lot of people are going to want to play it the nostalgic way too. I've made sure to include 400p in the version I've just uploaded though and even allowed up to 720 just in case.
Seeing that shaders are now a part of this mod I've added a couple of other treats to allow for console emulations as well :mrgreen:

PS... the automap thing was just a typo I made :lol:
m8f

Post by m8f »

Am I the only one who gets the error messages:

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero. In function parameter "self"
Called from CVar.GetBool at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/base.zs, line 362
with Vanilla Essence 4.1?

Edit: GZDoom 4.1.1.

Edit Edit: What I found:

class VanEssHandler : StaticEventHandler
{
    override void WorldTick() { f(); } // this works fine
    override void UiTick()    { f(); } // this doesn't work

ui void f() { CVar.GetCVar("ve_lowres", players[consolePlayer]).GetInt(); }
}
Apparently, Cvar.GetCVar() in UI context always returns null in my case.

This can be circumvented by reading cvars in WorldTick:

class VanEssHandler : StaticEventHandler
{
    override void WorldTick() { myVar = CVar.GetCVar("ve_lowres", players[consolePlayer]).GetInt(); }
    override void UiTick()    { bool localVar = myVar; }

private bool myVar;
}
Also, recently I learned that Cvar reading can be greatly optimized with the use of "transient" keyword.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ooh problems :o

Just updated my GZDoom to 4.1.1 from 4.1 to see if I can get the same errors and mine's still working like a breeze sadly :P

I don't fully understand what you're suggesting but when I switch both UiTick()s to WorldTick() nothing else breaks. I removed references to an unused cvar as well. How does this fare?:
Vanilla Essence 4.1a.pk3
(86.18 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Also using that transient technique, I like :)

Edit: Alternatively does this work? It turns out the above one didn't reflect changes to the resolution options until the menu closed.
Vanilla Essence 4.1b.pk3
(86.17 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

Return to “Gameplay Mods”