Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Post by Zenon »

Sounds great
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Really love this mod and all the customization, but unfortunately it always crashes in the same exact spot when I play Doom Complete (Wadsmooshed iwads) and this addon https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... er-levels/ shortly into Attack of the Master Levels. I think I also had it crash during my playthrough of No End In Sight, but I was playing it with Smooth Doom and a few other addons, can't remember exactly which ones. Whenever I play Masters Alpha, linked above, without Vanilla Essence it doesn't crash.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Thanks for the report Beezle. I'm aware of a crash when exiting from a game to the title screen but have no clue how to avoid it. Curious if they are caused by the same thing... could you post the error message so I can compare to the one I've had?
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

Sure, here's the report but it just says "Picked up shotgun" then nothing:
Attachments
mastersvessence.txt
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Beezle wrote:it always crashes in the same exact spot when I play Doom Complete (Wadsmooshed iwads) and this addon https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... er-levels/ shortly into Attack of the Master Levels.
If this is a real crash, i.e. it's not a VM abort or shader compilation failure, this should be reported to Bugs subforum with exact steps to reproduce.
Pixel Eater wrote:I'm aware of a crash when exiting from a game to the title screen but have no clue how to avoid it. Curious if they are caused by the same thing... could you post the error message so I can compare to the one I've had?
Same thing here. Do not expect that engine bugs will magically disappear with the next release of GZDoom. In order to be fixed, crashes must be reported.
Beezle wrote:Sure, here's the report but it just says "Picked up shotgun" then nothing:
This log file tells me nothing. Please create a topic in Bugs subforum and attach complete crash report there.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I never would've have guessed it was an engine bug. Will make a bug report, thanks _mental_!

Cheers for the log file Beezle :thumb:

Edit:
The report is here
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

How does low-res work in VE? Is it using some existing GZDoom functionality? Asking because I want to achieve the look it gives without all other options VE gives.

Edit: Just to clarify, I want 360p look while my native res is 1080p. Using GZDoom's built in scaling ruins the look of HUD and weapons.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

It's using GZDoom's shader system. I sort of rushed it forward out of a WIP project which allows you to keep it on permanantly. Hopefully that one won't be too far away.

Btw, if anyone wants to improve the low-res visuals in VE before it's next update, open the pk3 and move to shaders/VanRes.fp.
Replace this code (on line 6):

Code: Select all

vec2 pos = ivec2( TexCoord * upres ) * pxsize ;
With this code:

Code: Select all

vec2 pos = (ivec2( TexCoord * upres ) + .5) * pxsize ;
Save and exit.

Like superheroes do.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

Looking forward to that project!
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

If you're interested you can already use a CRT palette it generated: Screem - the Palette
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

I'll check it out, thanks! But I'm mostly interested in resolution scaling. I really liked how it was done in QuakeSpasm and Dusk, so now I want to recreate that in GZD.
PhysixCat

Post by PhysixCat »

Hello PixelEater,
First of all - thanks a bunch for your mod, I love using it during my vanilla+ sessions.

I have an issue to report though. I have noticed that on quitting, Vanilla Essence returns the compatmode CVAR back to 0, but it does not return compatflags and compatflags2 back to 0. This results in the compatibility settings for GZDoom remaining out of whack when starting up GZDoom next time.

This apparently was the cause of this weird crash I was getting viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65260&start=15#p1111491 (because apparently Hideous Destructor was not compatible with one of those compat flags - it's since been fixed though) so I just wanted to give a heads-up.
Last edited by PhysixCat on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

To elaborate on that, 'compatmode' is not a discrete setting, all this does is set 'compatflags' and 'compatflags2' to preset values. These two flag CVARs is what needs to be backed up and restored.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Thanks for letting me know PhysixCat. I knew the current way was limited but was unaware that it wasn't resetting correctly.
I have plans to simulate extra compatmodes by setting compatflags1+2 directly as Graf suggests so that will hopefully fix the problem. My train of thought is to have a 'Doom (strict)' with monster leap-frogging and a 'Doom' without ammo tossing.
PhysixCat

Post by PhysixCat »

I believe I may have found another small bug. Bear with me, because it can be a bit confusing (it was for me, at least)

Under the "Appearance" menu of VanillaEssence, we have the "No Monster Interpolation" option. This corresponds (I assume) to the ZDoom cvar "nomonsterinterpolation", whose engine default is "False". ie, ZDoom defaults to allowing monster interpolation (Double negatives!)

In GZDoom 4.2.0, there is an option under Display Options called "Interpolate Monster Movement", whose default is "Yes". When it is "Yes", that means "nomonsterinterpolation" = false. When it is "No", then "nomonsterinterpolation" = true. I tried toggling it, both from the menu and the console, and it works as advertised. However, VanillaEssence's "No Monster Interpolation" doesn't seem to affect the "nomonsterinterpolation" CVAR at all. Turning it On/Off does nothing to the GZD menu item, the CVAR, or the behavior in-game, even toggling VE.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”