MeleeMan - No Guns Allowed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MrToots

MeleeMan - No Guns Allowed

Post by MrToots »

Greetings, welcome to my first "official" Doom mod

MeleeMan is a well, melee focused doom mod, with a "Pinch" of inter-dimensional "References"
I almost never see anything like this, and while I understand why this is rarely done I still really wanted to see it done.
I am not the best at modding but hopefully when it's done it'll be something people can enjoy
Let me know your thoughts

Story
Spoiler:
Weapons
Spoiler:
Mechanics
Spoiler:
Screenshots
Spoiler:
Videos
Spoiler:

Download
This mod is not currently released
Last edited by MrToots on Fri May 11, 2018 1:16 am, edited 14 times in total.
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MeleeMan - No Guns Allowed

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

Oh, this sounds cool. I've always felt that a doom-style game with a primarily melee player would be pretty fun, since the majority of the attacks are projectile based (I had actually slapped together a crappy proof-of-concept once using the axe from HeXeN, but gave up on it). Something like a first-person bullet hell, almost. Looking forward to seeing more of this.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

yeah, i've always had a thing for Bows and melee weapons in FPS/TPS games and after playing Agents of mayhem Rama really scratched my itch, but then I found Sheherazade and She became literally the only character I used(until Lazarus came out that is) and it got me looking for a doom mod and the only one I found was not only cancelled, it was practically never started, so I said screw it
also, First Person Bullet Hell, that sounds just the right amount of crazy
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Hmm, a melee only mod for doom... I am actually interested in this. I mean sure there is probably going to be some difficulty in actually playing it "speaking for myself" since most enemies have ranged attacks and one even has a rocket launcher. but I'm sure it would be fun to forcibly remove a cacodemon from the sky with a WarHamAxe or rip open a group of low tier enemies with a machete.

Mind you this mod may need to take some cues from Demonsteele "that anime mod that TerminusEst13 made" like instead of HP you get life tokens and for each bit of damage you take no matter how minor it is you lose a token and for a short time "2-3 seconds" you are granted immunity to all attacks just like in those classic arcade games. and maybe some improved movement skills like Dashing and a better jump.

And maybe do something for the Fists as well, like giving the user a form of martial arts so he/she can lay down some beat downs on all the various foes in game via a stream of punches and kicks and the powered up form can make enemies explode after hitting them.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

TheLightBad96 wrote: -snip-
Oh, i'm quite aware of Demonsteele, it's where alot of inspiration came from, I don't wanna copy(+ACS really hurts my brain) DS everywhere, I may do something unique but that will be further down the line, currently I do have Increased resistance(-30% atm) and there is some mobility tweaks like double jump, sliding and clinging to walls, and there are a small amount of ranged options, you just have to use them sparingly, like the Baseballs, shurikens, and taser shot(added specifically as a way to deal with said rocket firing demon)
Fists was something I've considered but until I can really think of something other than hit fast(even if it looks cool) i'm just gonna stick with the Nanomachine Fist Powerup(Which yes does make enemies pop...I hope)

Edit: actually if I did do something like Demonsteele's life tokens, maybe i'll base it on Legend of Zelda's hearts, but we'll see
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

as much as i hate to say it, you do kinda need to have some form of projectile, its for map compatibility. You need explosives to take care of the icon of sin, and u need a hitscan weapon in order to hit switches that can only be triggered by being fired at
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

chronoteeth wrote:as much as i hate to say it, you do kinda need to have some form of projectile, its for map compatibility. You need explosives to take care of the icon of sin, and u need a hitscan weapon in order to hit switches that can only be triggered by being fired at
While I may not be able to account for every possible circumstance(I will try to account for as many as possible) I have thought about those 2, all melee attacks are done with projectiles, and I just tested it, you can kill Icon of Sin by cutting Romero's throat(assassination), granted you have to either get a good jump or have a Berserk available(Don't remember if one is on that level)
The mod is more about the theme of melee, as in no traditional guns, but even I understand you need projectiles in doom, plus there is the baseball you whack at people at high velocities and the shurikens, and don't forget the Bow, so yeah there will be projectiles
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

This mod interests me a lot, I love the idea of going full Streets Of Rage on an oblige mapset with hundred demons. Following.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
When can it be downloaded I can't see any links :?:
Spoiler:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

SHayden wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
When can it be downloaded I can't see any links :?:
I don't think it's been released yet.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

SHayden wrote: When can it be downloaded I can't see any links :?:
It will be available for download most likely after the first set of Weapons are done
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

this is awesome that people are trying and daring to make new art styles for doom!
all i can just wish for myself is that you all keep proportions and not make thigns too silly.... you deserve to be appriciated and i hope you can take your times and hone your work!
you guys work is priceless to me! you give us so much entertainment!
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

shadstarn wrote:this is awesome that people are trying and daring to make new art styles for doom!
all i can just wish for myself is that you all keep proportions and not make thigns too silly.... you deserve to be appriciated and i hope you can take your times and hone your work!
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the art style, it's done by SquareAddict, but yeah everything will be consistent, but I can't guarantee no silliness, the power up mode(which I hope to make a CVAR for those who don't want to use them) consists of basically weapons from other media like games and anime, and the original owner of the Powered up fist is just pure silliness
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

MrToots wrote:
shadstarn wrote:this is awesome that people are trying and daring to make new art styles for doom!
Thanks, but I can't take credit for the art style, it's done by SquareAddict, but yeah everything will be consistent, but I can't guarantee no silliness, the power up mode(which I hope to make a CVAR for those who don't want to use them) consists of basically weapons from other media like games and anime, and the original owner of the Powered up fist is just pure silliness
i love to see how these projects evolve there is another animated look that is being done!
if enemy type looks killable i like it.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enabled BBCode.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

shadstarn wrote:i love to see how these projects evolve there is another animated look that is being done!
if enemy type looks killable i like it.
sadly, I have no plans for custom enemies, I'd like to have as much compatibility as possible

Return to “Gameplay Mods”