MeleeMan - No Guns Allowed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: MeleeMan - No Guns Allowed

Post by Captain J »

Custom sprites, eh? Looks very promising! And melee-only gameplay might be fun and interesting to play. CUZ GUNS ARE FOR WUSSIES! :twisted:
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Made a small video showing the weapons in motion

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Meaty-melee impact sound effect is needed, if i can confess! Also i guess that yellow ammo thing on the HUD is stamina?
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Yeah, I'm lacking sounds atm, I'll have both flesh and walk impact sounds, I also hope to have various ones based on what weapon you're using to given some individuality
Edit: Also yes, that is technically the ammo for stamina and adrenaline, they are very place holder, in the final mod i hope to have a custom bud with bars for the various mechanics
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

This is neat, surprised no one else tried doing it earlier. There's some stuff niggling about the sprites though.

The animation on the knife looks funky, the first frame of the the animation looks like the dagger tip points directly at your face which looks really awkward and unnatural, not to mention the arm movement is really stiff. Seems to me the knife should swing just like the machete, since both are short one-handed blades.
The idle sprites for both blades also look odd, they both have the flat of the blade facing outward, it looks like a "blocking" stance. Wouldn't it look better (even more aggressive) with the blade edge facing outward toward the enemy?
The machete attack animations are good though, keep it up.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

First, thank you
Second, I'd like to point out I'm not the one making the sprites, I'm in charge of the basic ideas but not their creation, not trying to say anything by this just want to let it be known, don't want to take credit for someone else's work

In the matter of the bowie knife first frame and swing, I was going for a slice rather than a slash plus I wanted each weapon to attack differently, if the both did the same thing it would feel lazy
Now I'm not saying it doesn't need work, I'll be the first to admit while I have most of my plans for this mod pain stakingly thought nout, the knife is the exception and I'm still working on it, so let's consider it WIP

On the blade orientation, I'm not sure what you mean, both the knife and machete have their blades facing the enemy
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Got the sprites for the Taser Baton and I'll have a video showing it and a few other non weapon additions soon
but until then I have a question for you all

I'm planing a Shield, not a normal shield but a magic one, the lore is it's one of two twin amulets that your brother(MagicMan) gave to you
by default primary fire summons a barrier that blocks all forms of projectiles and converts them to Mana as well as a few interesting things to be revealed later
hitting reload changes the altfire between a variety of temporary buffs like haste, strength and time freeze, these all use Mana
the primary will always be the shield but i'm not sure what the default alt fire should be

any ideas would be appreciated :)
Last edited by MrToots on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Sounds interesting. That might be helpful! And i also have a question; What's the maximum capacity of the mana? And how much mana coming from blocking gives you?
XavierStudios

Post by XavierStudios »

The less-than-original suggestion would be projectile reflection. The shield wouldn't convert the projectiles into mana, so it's not something you can set and forget.
To build on that, the shield could absorb projectiles as normal but convert them into a homing bolt. The difference lies in the fact that multiple projectiles need to be blocked to fire a single bolt.

Alternatively, alt-fire could flare an existing shield, damaging enemies that draw too close. Might be useful in a map that sics a small horde of Pinkies on you.

Various other options include converting projectiles to health, giving some armor (temporary or permanent), projecting a shield that sticks to your back and protects against sneak attacks...
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Captain J wrote:Sounds interesting. That might be helpful! And i also have a question; What's the maximum capacity of the mana? And how much mana coming from blocking gives you?
Mana like adrenaline have a maximum of 1000
One being the opposite of the other, one is gained from offence the other defense
The amount gained is based on the projectile, bullets can give one once in a while, Imp fireballs can give a guaranteed 2-3 and cyberdemon rockets(they won't be rockets) give 10
The rest is scattered between
The barrel replacement can be used as mini mana deposits, if you can get one intact
XavierStudios wrote:The less-than-original suggestion would be projectile reflection. The shield wouldn't convert the projectiles into mana, so it's not something you can set and forget.
To build on that, the shield could absorb projectiles as normal but convert them into a homing bolt. The difference lies in the fact that multiple projectiles need to be blocked to fire a single bolt.

Alternatively, alt-fire could flare an existing shield, damaging enemies that draw too close. Might be useful in a map that sics a small horde of Pinkies on you.

Various other options include converting projectiles to health, giving some armor (temporary or permanent), projecting a shield that sticks to your back and protects against sneak attacks...
I thought about projectile reflection and I do want to incorporate that somewhere, I just don't want players sitting and reflecting everything back and never being in danger
The only reason the base shield is not that op is you have to switch to it and can t use your weapons while it's active
The projectile idea has been thought about, one or two of the abilities the amulet can do are offensive, but they use a lot of mana for one single attack that can kill a single group compared to the less expensive buffs that can potentially kill a lot more

The flare ability might be decent, some kind of emergency pulse that pushes monsters back if you get crowded

I really like the back defense, sorta like the blind guardian from Demonsteele
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Sorry for the low quality
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Low Quality? Not too bad, honestly! And those slashing death animations are definitely reasonable and makes me wonder when will this mod come out! Keep it up.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Thanks, I'm currently planning on releasing after I have the initial weapon roster set
Need the Amulet, Mace, Bat, Sickles, WarHamaxe, Katana and Bow
May release an alpha when I have the sickles, they are gonna be really fun to use(hopefully)
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

MrToots wrote:On the blade orientation, I'm not sure what you mean, both the knife and machete have their blades facing the enemy
I suppose I didn't word that well enough. I'm referring to how when someone would usually enter melee combat, they hold the weapon outward with the tip (or belly) of the blade in the direction of the enemy, ready for a quick stab or to parry enemy blades.
The way the sprites look is a valid position for blocking I suppose, just thought they look odd and wasn't sure if you were aware.

Here, maybe this will show what I'm getting at (doesn't exactly apply to one-handed blades though):
https://i.imgur.com/5rvBibY.jpg
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

Kyotra wrote: -snip-
I see where your getting at and while that works if the intent is to stab but if you intend to slash which both of these weapons do, I feel having the blades backwards would be counter productive

Return to “Gameplay Mods”