Babby's first ZScript Over/Under Shotgun

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gollgagh

Babby's first ZScript Over/Under Shotgun

Post by Gollgagh »

My new year's resolution was to try some weapons for Doom to contribute to this community, so here's an over/under shotgun where the barrels can be fired independently (it replaces the SuperShotgun currently):

Mediafire Dropbox

Credits - half of the sprites and sounds were stolen from Batandy, the other half of the sounds were stolen from TerminusEst, and I fabricobbled the rest from existing sprites.

The stock and break-action are the only (somewhat) original sprites in this.
Asenji

Re: Babby's first ZScript Over/Under Shotgun

Post by Asenji »

Feels pretty dang nice to use and I like how each barrel is dedicated to both fire keys with the simultaneous firing sound packing some serious punch. Not much else to say, its simple and effective. Going to experiment with this a fair bit.
DamnFineCoffee

Post by DamnFineCoffee »

This feels really cool to use. I love the idea of using both fire keys for each barrel.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

very pleasant to use a+ would gib again

One bug: the gun doesn't start out loaded, but if you IDFA for it the status bar counter will show as loaded when you first select it.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad you like it. We'll see if I can come up with any other interesting weapon ideas to add to this as the year goes on.
Matt wrote:One bug: the gun doesn't start out loaded, but if you IDFA for it the status bar counter will show as loaded when you first select it.
Yeahhh, that's because the secondary ammo isn't actually used for conditionals and IDFA gives maximum ammo. The actual local variable holding the barrel status always initializes at zero (or more accurately, you can't initialize a variable at declaration) and I couldn't figure out the best way to set the variable at spawn. I tried setting it at the Spawn label, but that had no discernible effect. ¯\_(⁰_ₒ)_/¯

Adding to the Select label

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 {if(CountInv("ShellRound") == 2) invoker.barrelbool = 3;}
would partially fix the issue of the mismatch, but I would much rather have the gun actually start loaded even without cheats.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

For stuff like this I normally set these custom variables using a BeginPlay override.

If you're using a custom player actor, you can override CheatGive to get the shotgun loaded using FindInventory.

(A hack to avoid using a custom player actor would be to create an ammo item that in its AttachToOwner() override finds the shotgun in the owner's inventory, sets it to loaded, then destroys itself.)
FDA

Post by FDA »

While a very belated post, I felt obligated to leave a post here at the very least. Someone had made an over/under skin for the side-by-side shotgun in Hideous Destructor a month or so ago, and that led me down a rabbit hole of coding an actual over/under as a weapon module. I ended up using some assets from this project, with your original credits + your name attached, and links back to this thread. Here's a link to the mod's github https://github.com/FDAapproved/altis-ov ... er-shotgun in the event you would want to check that out. It's very cherry-picked, but that's mostly a byproduct of weapons in HD being a lot less flashy than you can get elsewhere without extra work.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Duuude, awesome!

I'll definitely give it a spin.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

is there a certain summon command thing for this gun or anything?
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I called it 'Gollgun' because I am very original, donut steele; so 'summon gollgun'.

Also, apparently weaponbob got broken some time in the past four years, so that's a thing.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Gollgagh wrote:I called it 'Gollgun' because I am very original, donut steele; so 'summon gollgun'.

Also, apparently weaponbob got broken some time in the past four years, so that's a thing.
well i will say that it is a nice gun to use. i've been playing around with it with the PSX Doom CE mod. even paired it up with a machine gun pistol replacement. got the PSX Doomguy mugshot and a player skin to boot as well

Return to “Gameplay Mods”