Nun with a gun [V.9]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Midnight_King

Re: Nun with a gun [V.3]

Post by Midnight_King »

I tested and really liked this mod. You can tell it's in an early stage, that's all, but I have no doubt you're working on adding some great stuff.

My only suggestion is to change the main menu screen. I don't think it matches well with how manly you attempted to make the nun.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

That'll work, although it'll need to be more "expensive" so it doesn't get spammed :D Would the ghost marines work as the holy soldiers?
Spoiler:
and yes I do intend to change the title screen at some point, I wish I could commision Julie Bell for some art (Faith's build is partially based on her) but I bet her stuff costs an arm and a leg
Midnight_King

Post by Midnight_King »

My favorite weapon is the holy water shotgun. It uses the sprite from Blood, which I love. I'm hoping for more shotguns in the future. The premise reminds me of Hobo with a Shotgun.

EDIT: I tried this with Bratwurst and got Nuns vs Nazis. It worked pretty good.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Skelegant wrote:That'll work, although it'll need to be more "expensive" so it doesn't get spammed :D Would the ghost marines work as the holy soldiers?
Spoiler:
and yes I do intend to change the title screen at some point, I wish I could commision Julie Bell for some art (Faith's build is partially based on her) but I bet her stuff costs an arm and a leg
That works well, but given that it's tied to Marine corpses, it would be pretty unreliable if not useless on maps/mapsets where there are basically none to be seen/other gore is used instead.

I would suggest simply keeping it as an altfire. For just 10 ammo those ghost marines seem pretty well balanced. If my version (i.e. the accurate, fast moving, lethal MP40-armed holy soldiers) were to be used, I would suggest that the cost be increased to 25-50 or so.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

How about ghost nuns?
ghostnun.png
They'd fit the theme perfectly, as well as working in nicely with another thing I want to add later

also, how would this look for the mp40s?
MP41A0.png
MP41A0.png (18.13 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Skelegant wrote:How about ghost nuns?
ghostnun.png
They'd fit the theme perfectly, as well as working in nicely with another thing I want to add later

also, how would this look for the mp40s?
MP41A0.png
The ghost nuns seem pretty good but I would honestly prefer single-weapon, automatic-toting buddies, since they're generally more versatile and distinct from the player. Perhaps have ghost nuns as an "intermediate" between the weaker holy soldiers and the overlord Heavenly Bruiser; consider it like a sort of watered down player in effect.

I think the current MP40s look just fine as they are. I don't really see a reason for the right MP40 to suddenly turn white (maybe it saw something really spooky).
Midnight_King

Post by Midnight_King »

Maybe use the silver color on the cross but leave the gun itself black. It helps the cross stand out.

EDIT- Could also make two sets. The black is standard and the silver does something else. Maybe fires holy water.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

I'll keep the nun for the other thing I'm adding then, and look for something less zombieish and more Shotgun Maryish (as much as I love the good ol' vanilla zombieman he just doesn't mesh well with the theme)

[edit] here's one idea, she's the ghost of a long-dead choir guard (so her sound effects would be choir samples)
rifle_mary.png
I made her blue to contrast with the purple nun ghost (and to work better with the marine ghost if I add it)

I'm also looking for a chunky smg sprite, similar to the bolter from wh40k. Once the arm sprites are sorted out I'll be adding new weapons and backstories for them all because why not :D

[edit edit] I'll save the "one white one black" gimmick for another weapon, I had a better idea for the mp40s
MP41A0.png
MP41A0.png (19.4 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
"As in Heaven, so on Earth" ie no living demons allowed :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Those MP41 are now on the good holy side now, nonbelievers! :twisted: Looks amazing man!
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

Update time!
-Polished hand sprites (might still need a little tweaking at some point)
-The holy water rifle is now found in-game rather than given at the start (replaces the rocket launcher)
-The relic's primary fire summons the ghost of Rifle Mary to rain ghostly lead on your enemies
-Tidied up the heavenly bruiser's code a little and fixed one of its gldefs

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sl9rs3iox ... gun_V4.wad
Midnight_King

Post by Midnight_King »

Using it with Scythe 2. So far so good. Feels like there's a slight lack of weapons, but I'm sure as the mod progresses more will be added.

Things seem a bit smoother now so far.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Heheh, a consecrated MG42 would be funny.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Gideon020 wrote:Heheh, a consecrated MG42 would be funny.
As much as the whole idea of a Nun running around shooting enemies with a MG42 seems awesome I think there is one other weapon that might have a place in the mod. A Revolver that uses silver bullets. "I'm thinking either a Webley Mk VI or a Colt M1917 Revolver" Dual wielding the pistols might also be a neat idea.

The fire rate would be slower than the MP40's as to be expected but it more than makes up for it's lack of rapid fire with high damage shots that can put down weaker enemies.
"anything up to a chaingunner/imp would die in one hit"

But yet again it's just an idea.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

I'm working on a revolver, but it's not high on my priority list. I've made another rapid-fire weapon though, as well as some other stuff:

Still ironing out a few wrinkles though so no update yet :P
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Skelegant wrote:Bolter footage
The Codex Astartes approves this maneuver.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”