FamiliarDoom [Beta13]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta5 / 6a]

Post by krokots »

Funky Gnoll wrote:Golems are pretty sad for something that's supposed to be a living statue. Maybe they should get upgraded to Nitrogolems after gaining enough levels, or something.
They are crap in Heretic, so they'll stay crap. I may add some other monsters using similar or the same sprites, that will be more powerful. BTW, after I'm done with balancing and bugs, I'll start adding a ton of new familiars! Mostly Doom themed but also Heretic and Hexen themed monsters too, maybe even Strife monsters (but I've never played Strife so I don't know anything about them).
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

At least they can hit the target, which is more than can be said of the Demon :V
krokots

Post by krokots »

FUG, at some point I just make an arena and see what monsters win against what. That way i'll see the weaknesses and strengths of them. I may even include some kinds of arena battles in the game, useful for debugging and fun!
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

You did fix the Demon familiars so they can hit, but this also made enemy Demons meaner. It's 1994 all over again :P
krokots

Post by krokots »

Funky Gnoll wrote:You did fix the Demon familiars so they can hit, but this also made enemy Demons meaner. It's 1994 all over again :P
Ah yes, that was my intention :D I always thought that Demons are way crap nowdays, you can just move a pixel away while their slow attack is chargin up. And they never hit, now their attack is a bit quicker (actually I think only 2 tics faster), so you got to watch yourself. But they are an exeption, I don't want to change other monsters too much.
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta6b]

Post by krokots »

Uptaded, new version include AOE on heals, changing some XP mechanics. See changelog in first post. Have fun !

Edit. Forgot to fix crash when aiming at the sky and telling to move there, that's fixed now and will be in next update.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for the fix, it's a lot easier to heal my monsters now with the AOE buff. As an item suggestion, could there be regen potions as well? So you'd get less of an initial heal, but longer regen depending on the quality of the potion. I think it'd help in those situations where a regular potion is too much, or you know they're gonna take damage soon but not enough to waste a potion on it immediately.

Another thing that might help would be to have some of the mod's items mixed in with map items, just to increase the drop rate/variety a bit more. Though I don't know if this would mess with compatibility with other mods or not.
krokots

Post by krokots »

-Ghost- wrote:Thanks for the fix, it's a lot easier to heal my monsters now with the AOE buff. As an item suggestion, could there be regen potions as well? So you'd get less of an initial heal, but longer regen depending on the quality of the potion. I think it'd help in those situations where a regular potion is too much, or you know they're gonna take damage soon but not enough to waste a potion on it immediately.

Another thing that might help would be to have some of the mod's items mixed in with map items, just to increase the drop rate/variety a bit more. Though I don't know if this would mess with compatibility with other mods or not.
Not sure about those regen potions, this would mean another three or so items, and that would make potion usage a bit more tedious. I increased potion drops slightly in this version, BTW, there is a "secret" (not really), but if a familiar kills a monster, drop chance is higher. I played TNT yesterday to about map 9, and I've never run out of potions, so I'd rather not change the drop rate, BUT I may include an option in next version to slightly increase this, for players who feel that it is too low. :)
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

I REALLY want to like the maulotour but its not in the mood to attack for the most part. unless someone attack's it.

This is a problem for most of the summon's. Granted this is vanila behavior so this should not be a problem. unless is literaly the only thing helping you.

The slow response time from standard mobs gets off-set by the fact that you are generaly dealing with 3 or more. with the familiar however since they don't act fast and don't naturaly pull aggro unless you give them a trait. most just ignore them and go straigh for you. even if the familiar is 10X more letal then you.

So i began thinking. is there a way to put a Treat reating for your familiars. so there is a natural aggro for higher tier familiar's

Like stuff around the chainguner/imp level they would still target you since you are... well... smart

But once you get to the higher ups like the barons or even any of the bosses. they would actualy preffer dealing with the familiar first.

i don't know if that is even posible but is a nice thing to have so that you don't have to get said trait to just pull agrro.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Also a thing that i don't know if it was fixed in the latest beta. but tesla does not look like its working.
krokots

Post by krokots »

I'm pretty sure tesla is working, but I'm gonna check this out. BTW if you want to test things by yourself, you can write in console "netevent givetrait x" where x is the ID of trait, from 9 to 40. I use this to test. But last time i checked tesla, it was working. Maybe it is just a bit to rare.

Next thing you say, you want enemies to target familiars instead of player? I might include this as an option, but I need to think how to do this in a non "invasive" manner, not to change monsters AI too much. I agree that it would be cool if enemies would target stronger familiar en masse. Right now, well, I think this is not too much of a problem that familiars are not the main target. I use the 'attack enemy' command very often so familiars have always something to attack.
Tanksy

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta7]

Post by Tanksy »

This mod is brilliant, and I can't wait to see what mods get compatibility patches. I want one for DRLA!
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta7]

Post by krokots »

Tanksy wrote:This mod is brilliant, and I can't wait to see what mods get compatibility patches. I want one for DRLA!
I'd like that too, but due to DRLA not updating for new GZDoom versions, it is right now impossible.

Edit. Updated! Important fix in this version (not all familiars were dropping).
shadstarn

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta8b]

Post by shadstarn »

i dont understand this mod....
why would you want petts?
krokots

Re: FamiliarDoom [Beta8b]

Post by krokots »

Because they are awesome!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”