[MOD] Demon Slayer 1887 (Update 1.5 FEB.01.2018)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
willkuer

[MOD] Demon Slayer 1887 (Update 1.5 FEB.01.2018)

Post by willkuer »

I compiled a small mod from the sprites I have been sharing in the Spriting Carnival thread. Its a steampunk flavoured weapon set. This is an early test release to gather feedback, bug reports, balance reports etc.. Have fun! :)

It's for DOOM 2 with the latest GZdoom port. Mouse aim and full screen HUD required.

Title map
Spoiler:
Screenshots
please don't be too big :?
Spoiler:
Weapons:
Spoiler:
This should be a more or less stable test release. It will stay for a while 'cause I need time to overhaul graphics and add on mechanics and stuff. Still, if you find bugs or something that bugs you personaly, please report :D

Update 1.5
DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/frx8yky45 ... 1.5%5D.pk3

Old versions
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Merry Christmas! :)
Last edited by willkuer on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Thedarkcube

Re: [MOD] Demon Slayer 1887

Post by Thedarkcube »

These weapons are pretty strong they should be just a little weaker and a reload mechanic would be pretty cool too.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

it looks good .. does it play good?
i really want reloading in all mods lol am i the only one?
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

the double shotgun is too weak ... also the akimbo mode doesnt even work
please buff the double barrel shotgun because it feels as weak as the single barel one
Galtar

Post by Galtar »

Everything seems to work fine right now. Guns are quite satisfying to use, especially the Hail Storm. Perhaps the cacodemon could be a brazen head of sorts that spews just as many insults as it does projectiles.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

No reload please. These weapons are good as is.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

shadstarn wrote:it looks good .. does it play good?
I think it is if you played the mod!
Spoiler: here are my hot feedback and suggestions!
And that's it! Other than those and lacks additional sfxs, it looks great. Interesting and good choice of genre! I haven't seen any Steampunk doom mods before. Keep up the good work!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

as much as i like the stopwatch, as a bfg replacement it can mess with the ebb and flow of a lot of custom maps
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Thanks for the feedback guys! You're awesome! :) Keep it coming please!

Some quick replies:
shadstarn wrote: These weapons are pretty strong they should be just a little weaker and a reload mechanic would be pretty cool too.
Can you describe your play experience? Your reports will help balance the weapons. Sorry, there will be no modern reload mechanic. It just doesn't fit my basic idea of the weapon set in it's Doom 2 context. :?
shadstarn wrote: the double shotgun is too weak ... also the akimbo mode doesnt even work
Can you elaborate on how it doesn't work please? Does it switch, does it fire? Which source port and version are you using etc. Thanks! :)

@ Captain J (you're the best and you know it! :) thanks, man):
Spoiler:
chronoteeth wrote:as much as i like the stopwatch, as a bfg replacement it can mess with the ebb and flow of a lot of custom maps
Good point! I have to admit I don't know too many custom wads. I know Scythe 2, Waterlab, Weapons of Saturn, etc... the "famous" releases of course. So I already feared this could be the case. I'm really not sure about this issue... Any ideas?
___
Again, thanks for the feedback, I'll try to push out an update this week :) In the meantime, I wish you all good holidays if you took the week off, like me ;) Cheers!
Last edited by willkuer on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

everything seems to sorta have a theme

electric ssg and chainsaw
flamethrower and fire shotgun
plasma pistol and plasma gun
any sorta main elements missing would fill in the gap and make good for like a 4 elemental subset
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

chronoteeth wrote:everything seems to sorta have a theme

electric ssg and chainsaw
flamethrower and fire shotgun
plasma pistol and plasma gun
any sorta main elements missing would fill in the gap and make good for like a 4 elemental subset
Yeah, I already have the color coding in there... maybe add a yellow/gold theme time/devine power? Move the Stop Watch time freeze to alt-fire and have the primary mode basically do the same as the BFG9000 but as an AoE effect (360 degrees around player, certain distance - maybe 1024 units?) or something like this? (Like aging the monsters to death or something? I'm thinking Singularity mechanics here...but maybe this is too much for my skills, dunno)

Another concern: If I add custom damage types I will have to edit the monsters - this will probably make the mod incompatible with other monster changing gameplay mods or even some maps/wads :/
chronoteeth

Post by chronoteeth »

you could have it so the alt is the slow motion, but the primary faces the watch and does maybe a flashing glowing light that accellerates anything its facing. basically hyper aging them to death. the coding is rather easy since it'd just an alt death state, its the spritework that'd be hard to do
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Many thanks for your kind and detailed replies! And oh my gosh, i think i just messed up that Alt-Fire part... What i wanted to say was When Pressing Alt-fire key, while out of ammo, the clicking sound will alert the monsters.

That's about it! Once again, much appreciated.
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Captain J wrote:And oh my gosh, i think i just massed up that Alt-Fire part... What i meant to say was When Pressing Alt-fire key, while out of ammo, the clicking sound will alert the monsters.
Hehehe, what a mean but funny idea! Will put this in :twisted:

Also, there IS a logic bug in the Salt'n'Pepper ammo managment code... just noticed it. Happens, when you run out or low on ammo in akimbo mode and pick up fresh ammo later. The weapon won't update the loaded ammo stat and stops functioning... this is a tricky one - I'd appreciate some coding help from the veterans, if you guys have time :roll: my logic brain is twisted from all the christmas food and treats :D
Deii

Post by Deii »

Gave it a go in the first few maps of Doom 2, I'll just be like J and leave a feedback wall:
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”