[Release] Advance Pack for Untitled's Touhou DOOM

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
muzzdiez

[Release] Advance Pack for Untitled's Touhou DOOM

Post by muzzdiez »

Warning: this is not a mod to generic game, but a mod to the mod. You may find the mod which it is for, in this thread.

Touhou DOOM Advance Pack

Extensions and bugfixes pack for Untitled's Touhou DOOM mod. Requires Touhou DOOM version 3.5C or higher, and GZDoom 2.2.0 or higher.

This mod adds some interesting (as for me) features to Untitled's Touhou DOOM and fixes some bugs that were not fixed in upstream.
(Yes, I heard you like Touhou and DOOM, so I made a Touhou mod to Touhou mod so you can play even more Touhouish DOOM while playing Touhouish DOOM!)

What has been done:
  • Touhou DOOM and Advance pack options are now controllable under the special Options submenu: "Touhou DOOM Options". No more messing with CVARs!
  • Score system introduced; current value is shown in bottom left corner of screen along the HUD. It may be disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu; disabling it automatically disables graze and EXTENDs.
  • Spell card bonus introduced: if player is able to capture spell card in a given time, he/she is awarded by some amount of points (it begins from 100000 prior to spell card declaration and continuously drops until reached 0 at ten seconds prior to timeout of spell card). Survival spell cards are always awarded by 100000 points if captured.
  • Point items are dropped by fairies, dolls and bosses along with power items. Some bosses (notably extra stage ones) do very large drops.
  • Power (and point, if scoring enabled) items are dropped by enemies on levels >= 13. It may be disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu.
  • Power items also increase score on pickup (but less than single point item); so they are still subject to pick up even if you have 400 power.
  • Power and point items are depleting with time, so it's better to pick them up as quick as possible (that kinda emulates behavior of point items which gave you more value if they have no time to fall lower on screen).
  • Fancy endgame stats screen ("ALL CLEAR!") has been made (and numbers are not static, but counting from 0 to actual value like in DOOM intermission screen!)
  • EXTEND bonus introduced. It may be placed on map, or given as drop from a boss. Contrary to Touhou-like extend mechanic, they do not add a life; but, they "extend" player's possible life scale. Each extend raises maximum health level achievable with megaspheres and soulspheres (but not health bonuses, as they aren't used in Touhou-themed stages) by 100; so single extend gives maximum health 300, next one - 400, and so on.
  • Player receives an EXTEND when score reaches some predefined levels. It may be configured or disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu. As for now, there are two options: 'normal' extends, when you receive extends at 100k, 200k, 300k, 500k, 700k and 1000k points, and 'rare' extends, when you receive them at twice these levels (200k, 400k, 600k, 1000k, 1400k and 2000k).
  • Player now can graze enemy projectiles, being near them (100 map points or less); at the end of the game it is counted into total score value. It may be disabled from Touhou DOOM Options menu. Play more dangerously in hope to achieve more graze points (as you do in Touhou)! Unfortunately, it required raising game engine version requirements (but, hey, GZDoom 2.2.0 is released nearly 2 years before, why should you keep older versions?)
What is missing now, but possibly is a subject to be added when I figure out how to implement it in reasonable way and consider it needed:
  • Auto-collect. I suppose when boss or midboss battle begins, player must auto-collect all power and score items remaining on map; I still don't know how to do this in nice-looking matter (Well, draft idea is to use ThingCount, then despawn every point/power item, and add resulting value to score; but it's not even nearly pretty as mechanic of auto-collect in Touhou).
  • High score. I don't think ACS allow me to modify files on disk, but for now you still may save your score table as a typical savegame (yes, it is possible!) and show this to your friends lol. By the way, I have an idea to save high score in some CVAR.
  • Enemy marker. It turned out much harder than I thought of it; that's because ACS/DECORATE don't know anything about player screen. As for now, I surely can't find the way to do something like what I want to see there.
Screenshots:
Why is this exist?

Because DOOM is fun, and Touhou is fun too.
And because Touhou DOOM is fun squared! (Or maybe even cubed.)
More words:
Spoiler:
P.S. Great thanks to Dusted and Untitled (for giving me a lot of fun playing theirs mods and eventually inspiring me for making this one), and ZikShadow (for playing this mod and letting me see how does playing with it look like from a side).

Download it here:
https://github.com/makise-homura/Touhou ... cePack.rar

Changes summary (in comparison with v0.2.2-3.66):
  • Added grazing mechanic.
  • Engine version requirement is raised to GZDoom 2.2.0.
  • Minor documentation changes; updated screenshots.
Suitable for following releases of Untitled's Touhou DOOM:
  • 3.5C (Apr 22, 2018) - should be suitable, but not tested.
  • 3.55 (Apr 28, 2018)[1] - should be suitable, but not tested.
  • 3.6 (Jun 22, 2018)[1] - should be suitable, but not tested.
  • 3.65 (Jul 11, 2018) - should be suitable, but not tested.
  • 3.66 (Jul 15, 2018) - suitable, tested on GZDoom 2.2.0 (x86).
[1] Note that these releases have a major bug at MAP20 that may/will render stage impassable. Try these only if you know what are you doing.

Of course, you may also clone this repository ('graze' branch) and build it by yourself.
Note two other branches: 'master' is current version for last release of Touhou DOOM, but without graze support, for playing with older game engine versions like ZDoom 2.8, Zandronum 3.0, etc.; 'for_version_3G' is obsolete branch for Touhou DOOM version 3G and less (no longer supported).
Also, feel free to make any suggestions, bugreports and even pull requests, either on GitHub or in this thread.
I will always try to keep this mod compatible with newest release of Untitled's Touhou DOOM. But if you want to play older releases of Touhou DOOM, you may find suitable version on GitHub releases page.

Credits:

Mostly everything in this mod, as for now, was made by me based on ideas from ZDoom forum, except the following:
  • Graphic assets: POINA0 and E1UPA0 lumps are from Touhou games by ZUN, and GENSOKYO lump is modification of typical Gensokyo map by unknown author and DOOM marine back from DOOM II;
  • Music: SHINKIRO lump is title screen theme from Hopeless Masquerade, by U2 Akiyama;
  • SFX: EXTEND lump is from Touhou games by ZUN;
  • Some ACS and DECORATE code (not more than a couple of lines for each actor or function, where I have no way to use inheritance) is copied from Untitled's code.
How to use:
  • Get any modern GZDoom source port (minimum requirement is 2.2.0).
  • Get DOOM2.WAD from DOOM II game. Possibly FreeDOOM's one can be suitable; it was not tested though.
  • Get last version of Untitled's Touhou DOOM PK3 here.
  • (optional) Get any launcher like ZDL (https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL) or use another one - whatever you like.
  • Run ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum with DOOM2.WAD as IWAD, TouhouDoom.pk3 as first PWAD in list, and TouhouDoomAdvancePack.wad as second PWAD in list. Order does strictly matter.
  • Enjoy your "advanced" Touhou DOOM!
Note: Generally savegames made with one release of the mod is not compatible with newer release (as if with most of other mods). So it is basically not possible to play half an episode with, say, version 0.2.1 and then switch to 0.2.2. But playing different episodes is ok, obviously, because you have different savegames for every episode.
Last edited by muzzdiez on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
muzzdiez

Re: [Release] Advance Pack for Untitled's Touhou Doom

Post by muzzdiez »

Updated git repository and WAD file for new version 3G of Untitled's Touhou Doom.

Changes summary:
Removed patches for issues that became fixed in main PK3 file;
Removed unneeded "You got a pickup" message when picking score items on ZDoom (there was no such message on Zandronum).
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Updated git repository and WAD file due to some enhancements.

Changes summary:
Added 'rare extends' mode as an additional difficulty option;
Added Options submenu to control variables of Touhou DOOM and Advance Pack.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

is this updated for 3.5 or no?
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

insightguy wrote:is this updated for 3.5 or no?
It will be updated in a few days. I'll push some final fixes for 3G release today or tomorrow, and then start on doing version of Advance Pack for 3.5A.
If you want, I may build a pre-release (without thoroughly playtesting it; obviously, it may or may not contain bugs). If so, tell me that you agree and I'll focus on it, so you'll receive it in about 24-48 hours from time when I read your message. Also, I would kindly appreciate any bugreport about what's going wrong there, if you find such bugs.
Otherwise just wait about a week - and you'll get complete (and tested) first release.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

fuck it, I got a 4 day break coming upp, why not?
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

insightguy wrote:fuck it, I got a 4 day break coming upp, why not?
Well, now you may check it out, as I've done a new release. See following post and/or OP.
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Updated git repository and WAD file for new version 3G of Untitled's Touhou Doom, and also created alpha version for version 3.5A.

3G release changes summary:
Fixed missing healthbars of Marisa, Reimu and Yukari if cutscenes are off;
Possible stability improvements due to elimination of race effects;
Minor developer-related stuff: beautified code, changed TABs to spaces and CRLFs to LFs, etc.;
WAD build utility moved to another repository, minor fixes to build script.

3.5A release changes summary:
Removed healthbar support code due to moving of it into upstream;
Rewritten spell card bonus code; now bonus timer is not 30 second long, but timeout duration of spell card minus 10 seconds.

Release for 3.5A was not playtested completely in 3-episode UV-max (here, Lunatic-max) IDDQD-engaged run, as another releases were tested; it's still a couple of days before it will be done.
Bugfix release may or may not appear; it will be released in a few days in the case of critical bugs show themselves in playtesting.
muzzdiez

Post by muzzdiez »

Updated git repository and WAD file for new version 3.66.

Changes summary: Fixed a bug that does not allow to get 100% items on stages where spell card items exist and/or spawned, if spell cards are turned off.

Should be suitable for all of the following versions of Untitled's Touhou Doom: 3.5C, 3.55, 3.6, 3.65, 3.66; but tested only on last one.

In addition, as upstream Touhou DOOM may be considered stable in regard of health bar code, support of Advance Pack for versions 3G and less is now dropped.

And minor change to git repository: release version numbers are changed from Windows-like to more correct Linux-like versioning system (v.X.YZ-ABC → vX.Y.Z-ABC). For example, v.0.21-3.5C became v0.2.1-3.5C.
muzzdiez

Re: [Release] Advance Pack for Untitled's Touhou DOOM

Post by muzzdiez »

Introduced graze mechanic.
It raised source port version requirement to GZDoom 2.2.0 or higher though.
Updated git repository (now on 'graze' branch) and WAD due to this and some minor changes.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”