[v0.11.1-rc2] ZetaBot: The ZScript Bot

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
_mental_

Re: [ALPHA 0.1.1a] ζetaBots: The ZScript Bot

Post by _mental_ »

If you want to use LZMA compression, create 7-Zip archive and give it .pk7 extension.
Do not forget to disable solid compression though.
Gustavo6046

Re: [ALPHA 0.1.4] ζetaBots: The ZScript Bot

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Thank you.

With all that data about compression, PK3, and stuff, I made the GitHub repository, and added a buildscript. Now you can zip up the PK3 from the filesystem while automatically creating a launcher for the mod (allowing to 'prepare' (zip up) and play the mod even faster after cloning the Git repository).

Anyway, I need more betatesting with the bot's navigation et al! I'm not the only one who can run it in GZDoom 3.3, am I?
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Even with the latest stable release of 3.3.1 in hand, ZetaBots consistently crashes on start up no matter what.
Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I find it very strange that it works for me. (Is it because I'm using 3.3.0?)
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I was using 3.3.0, and even swapped to a SVN release thereafter to test it before, and it crashed then too.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Unfortunately there are still some limitations and quirks in ZScript compilers at the moment. I made a pull request to workaround those issues.
Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Thanks, _mental_. Hopefully that should mean they don't crash anymore :)

Anyway, now that there is not much more to work on the ZetaBots for the Doom part (maybe one new feature here or there, but nothing like using linedefs or goal nodes), I'll take a pause to work on Rayus (editor); after that I'll probably add Heretic or Strife support.

EDIT: So, does it work? I'm dying curious to know that!
Gustavo6046

Re: [ALPHA 0.1.6] ζetaBots: The ZScript Bot

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I just added basic Strife support; I'd like some feedback on it.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

So, as a little heads up. One of my latest code additions is in 3.3.2, allowing direct line activation from ZScript. This means your bots may be able to press switches and open doors all by themselves like a normal player would.
Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Whoa! Really? *checks GZDoom website*
Let's give people a cooldown - those who have just downloaded ZetaBot likely won't update GZDoom just to update ZetaBot.

New ideas:
  • Goal node system - there can be multiple goal nodes, and the bots may path and go toward these.
  • A better way to store all these nodes (currently I use CVars and that can be quite messy).
  • Order System - Players should be able to order Bots to do certain stuff (like kiilling the monster under the crosshair, or hold its position, or run to the exit). There would be a custom weapon to select actors (and bots) by the crosshair - the Order Manager. I will probably use dot product checks instead of projectiles.
In particular, an Order System would be extensive and might require large changes in the Tick code for the bot controllers.
Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 »

0.1.7 comes with a new Robo voice (guess who made it), and a simplistic goal node system, along with gazillions of bugfixes! Wow, it was hard, I'll tell you! I'd like feedback on these new features. The transparent yellow curtain below (call it the Main Menu!) "hides" a few improvements.

* Currently ZTUseNodes are un-used. </badjoke>
Gustavo6046

Re: [ALPHA 0.1.7] ζetaBots: The ZScript Bot

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Due to a computer crash, I'm now on Windows 7; but to use the buildscript that comes with ZetaBots et al, I need Linux! So I'll try installing Kubuntu with UNetbootin asap. And only then continue working with the bots. Therefore, development is paused for this little while.

EDIT: I am now on a more powerful computer. I will attempt to do a Windows building tool with Python and nuitka.
Gustavo6046

Re: ζetaBots: The ZScript Bot

Post by Gustavo6046 »

In the meantime, I have released Alpha v0.1.11, and about to release v0.2.0! However, I'll need a good
helping hand here, because bots don't want to use doors and lifts, and for some reason refuse to shoot;
the latter is just like the bug I had just fixed, but it requires a different fix!

Sorry for the quad post, I think there is still a lot to be done, but it's easier with your help!

GitHub source code.
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Melodica »

So I tried to give this another go after seeing the updates, and every time I try to spawn a bot it says "[ZetaBot] [Error] No plausible pawn type found!". Any idea on what could be causing this and how to fix it?
Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 »

What is your

Code: Select all

zb_btypes
console var? It should look like something like this:

"ZetaDoom:DoomPlayer;ZetaStrife:StrifePlayer;ZetaSMushes:YellowWyvern"
You should also set

zb_wtypes
to

"ZetaDoomWeapons;ZetaStrifeWeapons;ZetaSentientMushesWeapons".
since that will list the weapon modules.

This bot, as you can imagine, supports Doom, Sentient Mushes, and to an extent Strife. With v0.2.0 it should be able to use doors, but for some reason refuses to.

You may also, if you want, set zb_extraweap to a comma-separated list of inventory items to give your bots when they spawn. For example,

Shotgun;ShellBox
will give every bot a shotgun and a shell box to start with.

If you're using v0.2.0, you may use the ZetaBot key bindings, in the bottom of the keys definition area.

Just one note: no Hexen support. Yes, I saw your profile picture. Raven support addition is planned for Beta releases, where I implement discernment of certain weapons for certain ZetaBotPawn classes.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”