Page 7 of 14

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:07 pm
by RikohZX
Exeor wrote:I was bored so I did a table with the monsters of Half-Life who can replace the ones from Doom, I have doubts about the Pain Elemental because the Charger (from hl beta) was suppose to fly and spit acid only, not really fitting in the Pain role...

https://i.imgur.com/DoVLugJ.png

To be honest, i'd probably replace the Marines with the Headcrab, Headcrab Zombie and something else for the Chaingunner. Considering Zombiemen are meant to be weak enemies thrown into maps en masse, and this mod's attempts to replicate things rather faithfully, filling maps with HECU Marines would be nightmarish and potentially borderline unplayable.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 pm
by -Ghost-
If you put marines or black ops in, would they still be their own faction and fight with other monsters? That might balance them out a bit if you make them a relatively rare spawn too.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm
by Exeor
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
I believe you should replace shock trooper with gonome and vice versa, since shock trooper fits the most for arachnotron, given his ability to spam lightning\plasma projectiles while vielding lightning\plasma gun\roach; while gonome is quite tanky, can launch green projectiles just like baron of hell and do deadly damage at close range too.


You have a really good point here! Never thought about that.

RikohZX wrote:To be honest, i'd probably replace the Marines with the Headcrab, Headcrab Zombie and something else for the Chaingunner. Considering Zombiemen are meant to be weak enemies thrown into maps en masse, and this mod's attempts to replicate things rather faithfully, filling maps with HECU Marines would be nightmarish and potentially borderline unplayable.


Unless TheCamaleonMaligno nerfs A LOT the hecu marines in the mod, replacing the zombiemen and shotgunguys by weak enemies of hl1 like headcrabs and zombies (or even barnacles) sounds pretty balanced. Maybe the Nazi Soldiers should be Hecu marines or black ops soldiers in that case.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 am
by TheCamaleonMaligno
RikohZX wrote:To be honest, i'd probably replace the Marines with the Headcrab, Headcrab Zombie and something else for the Chaingunner. Considering Zombiemen are meant to be weak enemies thrown into maps en masse, and this mod's attempts to replicate things rather faithfully, filling maps with HECU Marines would be nightmarish and potentially borderline unplayable.

True, Sven Co-op has enemies version of barney and otis wearing a grey uniform, i should use them to replace the zombiemen and shotgunners, that will lead the chaingunner being replaced by the mp5 hecu/black op and rarely by the minigunner

-Ghost- wrote:If you put marines or black ops in, would they still be their own faction and fight with other monsters? That might balance them out a bit if you make them a relatively rare spawn too.

i'd really like to make them to be in their own faction and fight monsters but that'd require some more extra work on the AI because of gzdoom not supporting these kind of stuff




_______________________________________________________________




also, here is a little update on something i've been working on:
Spoiler:

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 am
by -Ghost-
The Aliens Ultimate Doom mod and AVP mods both managed to do inter-faction fighting pretty well, if that helps as a reference.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:53 am
by Valherran
-Ghost- wrote:The Aliens Ultimate Doom mod and AVP mods both managed to do inter-faction fighting pretty well, if that helps as a reference.


Even that has some issues, it isn't perfected yet.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 am
by WallyTheBoogieBug
The Evil Security Guard and Evil Otis from Sven Co-op would be good fits for the Zombie Man and Shotgun Guy respectively, as said. The Shotgun Guy already drops the Magnum in the current version of the mod, the Desert Eagle in OpFor fits the same ammo type and weapon class as the Magnum in the original Half-Life, so it makes even more sense. I do have a concern with that though, that being the Evil Otis's (Otisi?) might be too powerful as the Deagle has a rather high damage compared to the Shotgun and its also very accurate, which the Shotgun Guys are not. Of course the damage will probably be lower, but maybe they should be rather inaccurate compared to their OpFor/Sven Co-op counterparts? Not sure.


On the topic of Barnacles and how they could fit in the mod, I think it would be most logical, instead of replacing an existing enemy, for Barnacles to be placed on a map via script. Perhaps some items could call a script on spawning that would check if a sky is above them, if a sky is not above them, they have a rare chance of spawning a barnacle directly above them. Half-Life 1 often used items as traps for careless players to step into Barnacle tongues, this would recreate that same feature as a random element. You could even tie Barnacle spawn chances to difficulty; the higher the difficulty, the more they spawn.

My only catch with my idea is that always placing a barnacle above an item might be too consistent and players would get too jumpy around items, ruining the surprise by teaching them how to expect one. I'm not sure how else to solve this.


One more concern of mine is the Gargantuas. In the original Half-Life, these enemies were only vulnerable to explosives and energy weapons. This may seem like a no-brainer, but without the traps to kill these foes it would be wise to grant it vulnerability to gunfire as well. Perhaps a 50% resistance to gunfire would be more than enough to retain the original idea without making scenarios unwinnable, I think anything more may be too much.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am
by MaxRideWizardLord
TheCamaleonMaligno wrote:also, here is a little update on something i've been working on


Looks lovely, although where I can download the rest of guns from black ops? All I get from your mod is HL1 guns. I hope shock roach and replacer do not suck. :P

Also, a side note I wanted to tell you for some time. Hivehand have really awful and slow ammo regeneration compared to the original one. It should be speed up at least 2-3 times. I believe the ammo regen increase drastically once you stop firing and let the weapon stock up it's ammo back to 8 instead of just slowly firing single flybug by holding fire button non-stop.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:16 pm
by Exeor
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:The Evil Security Guard and Evil Otis from Sven Co-op would be good fits for the Zombie Man and Shotgun Guy respectively, as said. The Shotgun Guy already drops the Magnum in the current version of the mod, the Desert Eagle in OpFor fits the same ammo type and weapon class as the Magnum in the original Half-Life, so it makes even more sense. I do have a concern with that though, that being the Evil Otis's (Otisi?) might be too powerful as the Deagle has a rather high damage compared to the Shotgun and its also very accurate, which the Shotgun Guys are not. Of course the damage will probably be lower, but maybe they should be rather inaccurate compared to their OpFor/Sven Co-op counterparts? Not sure.


On the topic of Barnacles and how they could fit in the mod, I think it would be most logical, instead of replacing an existing enemy, for Barnacles to be placed on a map via script. Perhaps some items could call a script on spawning that would check if a sky is above them, if a sky is not above them, they have a rare chance of spawning a barnacle directly above them. Half-Life 1 often used items as traps for careless players to step into Barnacle tongues, this would recreate that same feature as a random element. You could even tie Barnacle spawn chances to difficulty; the higher the difficulty, the more they spawn.

My only catch with my idea is that always placing a barnacle above an item might be too consistent and players would get too jumpy around items, ruining the surprise by teaching them how to expect one. I'm not sure how else to solve this.


One more concern of mine is the Gargantuas. In the original Half-Life, these enemies were only vulnerable to explosives and energy weapons. This may seem like a no-brainer, but without the traps to kill these foes it would be wise to grant it vulnerability to gunfire as well. Perhaps a 50% resistance to gunfire would be more than enough to retain the original idea without making scenarios unwinnable, I think anything more may be too much.


I'm not 100% sure but you can kill Gargantuas with the M40A1 Sniper Rifle in Opposing Force (I remember that yellow blood appeared when shooting it) and the crossbow had explosive bolts in the HL multiplayer (something useful to kill them in Sven co op in the worst cases), but for balance issues I prefer that you can damage Gargantuas with all weapons, but it could have bullet resistance for example.

About the Barnacles, what if the hanged corpses as decorations can be replaced by Barnacles in low chances?

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:54 pm
by Legion
I'm really impressed by this, especially the 3D models.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:17 pm
by MaxRideWizardLord
Exeor wrote:
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:About the Barnacles, what if the hanged corpses as decorations can be replaced by Barnacles in low chances?


Some of the doom classy decorations like these weird looking eyes could be replaced with wall-turrets, while some of the pillars could be replaced with stationary turrets.

Irrelevant but I don't feel like the doom zombies should be replaced with anything other than HECU soldiers, since they were most common enemy in half-life and barney doesn't fit at all to fight gordon, even though he has pistol just like zombie scientist from doom. As for the Nazis, these should be definitelly replaced with black ops dudes from opposing force, since these guys were badass and real tough to fight. I wouldn't mind if they both have some unbearable urge to kill gordon for some reason and end up to team up in anti-gordon aliance. I'd imagine coding something other than enemy npc and friendly npc on doom engine is beyond possibility.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:54 pm
by Exeor
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Exeor wrote:
WallyTheBoogieBug wrote:About the Barnacles, what if the hanged corpses as decorations can be replaced by Barnacles in low chances?


Some of the doom classy decorations like these weird looking eyes could be replaced with wall-turrets, while some of the pillars could be replaced with stationary turrets.

Irrelevant but I don't feel like the doom zombies should be replaced with anything other than HECU soldiers, since they were most common enemy in half-life and barney doesn't fit at all to fight gordon, even though he has pistol just like zombie scientist from doom. As for the Nazis, these should be definitelly replaced with black ops dudes from opposing force, since these guys were badass and real tough to fight. I wouldn't mind if they both have some unbearable urge to kill gordon for some reason and end up to team up in anti-gordon aliance. I'd imagine coding something other than enemy npc and friendly npc on doom engine is beyond possibility.


I totally agree about the sentries and turrets replacing those decorations randomly, it can caught you off guard in a lot of levels.
The nazi soldiers should be the black ops guys for sure, but I think that Barnabus and Otto from Sven co op can make a good role replacing the zombieman and the shotgunguy, unless the HECU marines are very weak and do not drop the mp5 early.


Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:01 pm
by -Ghost-
I think rogue security guys could still work, can you make them look more roughed up/crazy or something?

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 am
by potetobloke
I thought of the "They Hunger" zombified police men for the regular zombiemen replacement, although I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Re: [Release] Lambda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:27 pm
by -Ghost-
That could be cool, I like the They Hunger enemies.