Lambda: The OpFor Update - HD Pack

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Lambda: The OpFor Update - HD Pack

Postby Captain J » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:44 am

Played this mod again and it feels new this time. I guess i haven't found every Opposing Force weapon yet? Anyway this is by far the most accurate Half-Life on doom. But maybe i played too much of Half-Life source instead of the original counterpart. Like i said, things are different than i remembered. I'll share my feedback and see what i mean.
Spoiler:
I also noticed that my hands are really glowing around. Very neat touch!

EDIT: Oh! And one last thing. I don't hear footstep anymore so would be nice if you could implement it that can be turned on manually or something.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Xada » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Really enjoy this mod a lot-- great fun to co-op it with a friend or two especially!
However, with recent GZDoom updates and mod updates it has also been very prone to frequent crashes and I'm not entirely sure why. The console spits out something about monster's "CanBleed" script or some such? I've tried it with and without monster mods, even standalone and it seems to happen either way but with many monster mods including my own personal mob-mixer it seems to crash very regularly.
Oddly enough I havn't been able to reproduce it directly, but it happens really often during actual gameplay which makes it hard to use during co-op anymore.

Another issue I noticed, as mentioned previous by other posters is the menu options don't seem to work in general. I'm uncertain what causes it as I've tried to use it with and without other mods but it still doesn't let me toggle things such as OP4 weapons.
As for the gameplay balance I agree with the poster above in most instances, though I feel a more balance between the damage boost rune and runeless (ie. Shotgun doing very subpar damage in particular) might be good; perhaps narrow the damage between the two so it isn't so drastic?

I can tell a lot of effort went into this mod so I hope these issues can be fixed-- it's loads of fun to run episodes through with good ol' Gordon's arsenal.
Xada

Discord: Xada#4018
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Captain J » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:28 am

Also a few more feedback:
- I picked up mp5 ammo and the weapon itself and they mention 9mm assault rifle?? I mean i did not play the mod with HD addon(hence m16 is mp5), but it says assualt rifle. Kinda weird if you think about it. I think it should be named something like Automatic Weapon.

- Spore pods spawn the spore quote often. Spore Launcher is abusive weapon if you have many of them.

- Is it me? Or Crossbow reloads super slowly? Is this not the Half-Life: Source thing?

EDIT: Extra feedback i would like to know answer about

- Bone hurting juice? It spawns along with other soda items and i found it rather deceiving. I don't know which reference it is, but it just take your good amount of health and you have to collect it for 100 item score. Classic Rivalry level of randomness, if you ask me.

- It turns out Battery item plays default item pickup sound effect. I'm sure it played its own sound.

- Since the mod replaces every single asset into HL's, are you also going to replace the environment sound effects as well? Such as elevator and button sounds.

- gzdoom-4-5-0-Windows-64bit makes the overall weapon bob animation jittery. Have you tried it?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Matsilagi » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:42 pm

Captain J wrote:Also a few more feedback:
- I picked up mp5 ammo and the weapon itself and they mention 9mm assault rifle?? I mean i did not play the mod with HD addon(hence m16 is mp5), but it says assualt rifle. Kinda weird if you think about it. I think it should be named something like Automatic Weapon.

- Spore pods spawn the spore quote often. Spore Launcher is abusive weapon if you have many of them.

- Is it me? Or Crossbow reloads super slowly? Is this not the Half-Life: Source thing?

EDIT: Extra feedback i would like to know answer about

- Bone hurting juice? It spawns along with other soda items and i found it rather deceiving. I don't know which reference it is, but it just take your good amount of health and you have to collect it for 100 item score. Classic Rivalry level of randomness, if you ask me.

- It turns out Battery item plays default item pickup sound effect. I'm sure it played its own sound.

- Since the mod replaces every single asset into HL's, are you also going to replace the environment sound effects as well? Such as elevator and button sounds.

- gzdoom-4-5-0-Windows-64bit makes the overall weapon bob animation jittery. Have you tried it?

Not the creator of the WAD, but i can clarify some of those since i am a long-time HL player.

1: The game references the MP5 as a 9MMAR (9mm Automatic Rifle), so the name is correct. (The weapon models are v_9mmar and w_9mmar)
2: I find it fair for maps with lots of enemies, since on OpFor, unless it was multiplayer, it didn't resupply those or took way too long. Reminder that there are 2 ways of using them , which is either collecting the spore for the launcher, or shooting them, making them detach from the spore supply.
3: Yes, the crossbow reload is a tad slow both on WON and HL1/HL:S. I don't think its a wrong behaviour.
4: Bone Hurting Juice is a meme when a person drinks something called like that and instant gets hurt on their bones, thus, giving the literal name. Its also super-rare to spawn and i never seen too much harm of having it in.
5: It plays only that sound, the 2 beeps you hear after and the percentage are part of the HEV suit. A special sound for it was added when HL2 was released.
6: Personal so i can't reply.
7: Happens to me aswell but, personal again, only him will be able to change.
Matsilagi

Postby Captain J » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:07 pm

But mp5 is not really a rifle, is it? I mean it can be i guess but the stock is very short, uses small caliber rounds and... Maybe i'm just being a real gun nut here. :P

And speaking of spore pods, sometimes they would spawn above you, at the hard to reach places and i have to shoot to dispense the spore and it'll either explode in empty room or hurt me. I played Back to Saturn X with it and the jump action was locked. So there was no way of it being useful and whatnot.

Bone Hurting Juice is not... Ringing any bell for me. But one thing i know that it still counts as item with score and i would like to optionally leave the map without getting it, and without ruining the score.

Battery plays default pickup sound but not the beeps, yes. And i would like to hear both of them in the future.

And not sure if it's possible, but have you considered adding healing/charging station? Using spore pod as a base might be helpful.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby PlayerLin » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 am

About the MP5/M16, whoever in Valve's HL HD pack team decided that was thought that's good idea...which many HL players didn't agreed that at all. I don't like that too, it looks like M16/M4A1 but still shoot 9mm ammunitions, just weird on aesthetics.(Since it still a MP5, with 50 of magazine size like original SD model one, well even that magazine size didn't seem realistic...)

Since the mod author using HL HD pack model for the MP5 so I guess no other easy option(use original SD model seems bad and inconsistent to the rest HD weapons and other models)...or try to find a other HD skin mod that is real MP5+M203 with HEV hand model... :shrug:
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Also i found one fatal error: Monsters with BOSSDEATH flag like Arachnotron or Mancubus do not activate the map script upon gibbed.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby StroggVorbis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:49 am

MP5 means Maschinenpistole 5 (Machine Pistol/Submachine Gun) and I can't check right now but I think in Half-Life the crossbow reload is slightly faster because you can fire again before the animation is completely finished.

On a side note: The MP5 in Half-Life is actually the MP5SD(2), the viewmodel has an integrated silencer, but obv it doesn't have supressed fire sounds.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby fakemai » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:39 am

Anyone happened across the easter egg with the EgonGluon Gun yet? Figure it's overdue.
Spoiler:

Captain J wrote:Bone Hurting Juice

THAT's what it was! I just thought there was a weird glitch making me take fall damage randomly or something, but again it's because of Colourful Hell where they just have such a high chance of appearing and easily missed.
fakemai

Postby ZikShadow » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm not really the dev for this mod, but I do like to chip in as well.

Both the MP5 and the M4 in HL1 are indeed called the 9mmAR in its internals, both code and model. No reason is known for why this is a thing, though it might have something to do with how in the alpha version of HL1 itself, the hgrunts uses an assault rifle model instead of the final release's MP5. Guesswork pretty much, not this mod's fault for being accurate.

The spore pods do indeed spawn unlimited amounts of spore at a slow rate, it's always been like that in Opposing Force. Not really something the mod can account for if there's a lot of pods in one area.

The crossbow reload is not fast, but at the same time it seems to be a pinch slower than in vanilla HL1. You should be able to interrupt the animation around the end, but it seems Lambda plays the whole thing first before you can fire again.

Agreed on the poison thing, seems bit odd to include it in ITEMS completion.

Battery have always used the item/weapon pickup sound, gunpickup2. Any other things from beeps to percentage alerts are on the HEV side, which I do agree seems to be missing on that front.

Agreed as well on the sound theme changing thing. I tend to play Lambda alongside my HDest HL theme set (still works for vanilla, even if it is specialized for HDest), and it fills the blank nicely on the sound and enemy sprite front for the moment.

It seems to be a bug indeed, I wonder if it's fixable on Maligno's end or if it's on GZD's. Quite unfortunate. Guess we'll have to play it on earlier builds until something happens.

I'm irritated with the crossbow model having the magazine face being missing, but again, not the mod's fault, accurate to the original.

You could use the barnacle gun to latch on the spores, same behavior as in Opposing Force. You should be able to acquire ammo that way if just jumping is not enough.

I can't see the health/battery chargers thing working without it looking odd. The spore pods are often on ceilings and floors, places where you wouldn't normally see chargers in. Unless you mean something like Opposing Force's PCV charger, now that I can see working as a placed item. Even then I remembered that thing being huge, so I still don't know how you'd fit it in the same size as something like the spheres or armor slots.

There are M16 types that can shoot 9mm. They're called the Colt SMG/Model 635. A weapon like that in HL1 isn't out of line when it comes to realism. Even then, I doubt Half-Life was aiming for realism that much, more using realistic theme as background to semi-arcadey gameplay (such as the SPAS12 being a combo of both single and double shotgun instead of needing to swap, yet people just can't stop talking about the double shot like its an affront to God). If you aim for realism so much, go for tactical games like ARMA/SWAT or mods like Hideous Destructor/Special Weapons.

PlayerLin, have you actually played the mod? The HDGuns are optional, not something you have to load in. You can run Resources and Code and the default standard models'll show up fine. Unless you mean replacing the M4 itself with a different model, which would make the addon inaccurate to the original, defeating the whole core idea of the mod.

I noticed in the HD pack that the 9mmhandgun seems to be weirdly timed compared to the original, much slower-like.
ZikShadow

Postby Captain J » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:13 am

ZikShadow wrote:I can't see the health/battery chargers thing working without it looking odd. The spore pods are often on ceilings and floors, places where you wouldn't normally see chargers in. Unless you mean something like Opposing Force's PCV charger, now that I can see working as a placed item. Even then I remembered that thing being huge, so I still don't know how you'd fit it in the same size as something like the spheres or armor slots.
I mean placing chargers on the wall, silly! Pods do spawn at the wall randomly.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby ZikShadow » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:20 am

And what if the thing that the charger replaces have no walls around them? That means that the charger has no other place than the floor or the ceiling to spawn in. Tricky thing when it comes to maps, unless you place them manually.
ZikShadow

Postby Captain J » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:25 am

I was thinking about not spawning it at all if there's no walls around the spawner but spawns other items instead. But i think this might take an extra work.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby PlayerLin » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:05 am

ZikShadow wrote:Both the MP5 and the M4 in HL1 are indeed called the 9mmAR in its internals, both code and model. No reason is known for why this is a thing, though it might have something to do with how in the alpha version of HL1 itself, the hgrunts uses an assault rifle model instead of the final release's MP5. Guesswork pretty much, not this mod's fault for being accurate.

Not sure related, but...

Heckler & Koch, encouraged by the success of the G3 automatic rifle, developed a family of small arms consisting of four types of firearms all based on a common G3 design layout and operating principle. The first type was chambered for 7.62×51mm NATO, the second for the 7.62×39mm M43 round, the third for the intermediate 5.56×45mm NATO caliber, and the fourth type for the 9×19mm Parabellum pistol cartridge. The MP5 was created within the fourth group of firearms and was initially known as the HK54.

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_MP5

So called it 9mmAR may not totally wrong as HK54/MP5 originally was based on G3 Automatic Rifle...
(Still, MP5 is a SMG, call it rifle may be weird, but...I don't know, some 9mm carbines also called itself "rifle" for whatever reasons...)
Yes, I know some people don't trust wikipedia but its References seems not bad to me.
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Postby fakemai » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:35 am

On the weapons, it's fun to quibble about how Half-Life handled them, but for one who has played a decent amount of Half-Life, and Opposing Force with the HD models, it's eerie how perfect they feel in Doom with this mod and that's what matters the most. That said, bringing in the recharge station mechanics wouldn't do the game's pace well any more than the health regen pools. I think the mod strikes the right balance in what it chooses to bring over and also let slide from the original (reloading is the big one).
fakemai

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods