Lambda (Oct/08/2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
RikohZX

Re: [Release] Lambda

Post by RikohZX »

Looks like those have the redone sleeves from Blue Shift and onwards, though, so that might clash with the pre-existing models. I think Gamebanana has some sleeve model hacks lying around in the Half-Life and Sven Co-op sections you could look into for getting around that problem, like so.
TheCamaleonMaligno

Post by TheCamaleonMaligno »

yeah i guess, i was using the "classic" ones i found in sven co-op 5.0 bc they seemed to be more complete... you know... most of the original viewmodels aren't complete from the blind spot of the camera
TrebbyTrebuchet

Post by TrebbyTrebuchet »

I'm working on the HD and BMS weapons if you need a base to work off, albeit in DECORATE
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I see you are trying to make this as accurate to the original as possible, here's a couple things I saw:

1. The Crowbar is missing roughly half of it's capable distance to hit things.

2. The Crossbow clip is reloaded before pulling back the bow string when it should be after.

Some questions for you:

After you get the OpFor weapons in, do you plan on adding the HL enemies as an addon/option?

And do you plan on making a mode that adjusts the game mechanics to accommodate Doom? Such as faster reloading/weapon switching, slight damage buffs and/or RoF?

Will this be fully compatible with Heretic and Hexen in the future?

Is there going to be an addon that uses the HD sprites for weapons and equipment from the high-res version? In that version they changed the MP5 into an M4

Finally, what's with the item that damages you on pickup? What purpose does it serve other than damaging you?
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

Valherran wrote: Finally, what's with the item that damages you on pickup? What purpose does it serve other than damaging you?
Bone hurting juice

I'm not joking, it's there
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

I would love faster reload option, because I'm having a really tough time in hard levels.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

namsan wrote:I would love faster reload option, because I'm having a really tough time in hard levels.
Right now I am playing on the BD variant of the vanilla maps and I am clearing them, problem is it takes so long. My clear-speed is roughly half the average of what I can do with Doomguy. Which is why I am hoping there would be some sort of enhanced mode later on to accommodate Doom.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Can't wait to see if the aliens are going to be added after the weapons from Opposing Force, good work!
TheCamaleonMaligno

Post by TheCamaleonMaligno »

Valherran wrote:I see you are trying to make this as accurate to the original as possible, here's a couple things I saw:

1. The Crowbar is missing roughly half of it's capable distance to hit things.

2. The Crossbow clip is reloaded before pulling back the bow string when it should be after.
1. uhm, what do you mean? it's fine for me, it's also the same range as doomguy's fists
2. right, that's kinda intentional so you can quickly select another weapon and select it again instead of waiting for the animation to end, i just forgot to move the reload function to the correct frame.
After you get the OpFor weapons in, do you plan on adding the HL enemies as an addon/option?
Yes, hl enemies are part of the plan but i'd like to make them as part of the main mod instead of an addon/option.
do you plan on making a mode that adjusts the game mechanics to accommodate Doom? Such as faster reloading/weapon switching, slight damage buffs and/or RoF?
I was thinking on adding an option to completely disable reloads, so weapons can use ammo directly from the player's inventory
as for buffs, most of the weapons are already buffed, the original hl weapons didn't do so much damage, and most of them already have a higher firing rate than doom weapons
Will this be fully compatible with Heretic and Hexen in the future?
didn't think on that before... but i'm afraid not, i'm not a big fan of those games so it wouldn't be worth for me to work on something i'm not really interested
Is there going to be an addon that uses the HD sprites for weapons and equipment from the high-res version? In that version they changed the MP5 into an M4
If i'm not lazy enough, yes.
what's with the item that damages you on pickup? What purpose does it serve other than damaging you?
like potato said, it's bone hurting juice. just some random flavours for the soda cans (healthbonus), it may heal you if your health is 10 or lower.
namsan wrote:I would love faster reload option, because I'm having a really tough time in hard levels.
that should work, why not
Exeor wrote:Can't wait to see if the aliens are going to be added after the weapons from Opposing Force, good work!
thanks, i went ahead a little with the monsters a few weeks ago, haven't touched it since then
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Somagu wrote:
EddieMann wrote:Still, the guns should be in their proper slots instead of being stuck in 5 (unless if you're gonna do an HUD like Paranoid, and even then - it wouldn't make sense to have SMG and Crossbow in the same slot as shotgun.)
Given that Lamba seems to strive for accuracy to goldsrc, I personally would much rather the weapons stay where they are, even if it clutters the numbers.
Then how about a HUD like the one in Paranoid? It'd fit the mod a lot better than the default doom HUD without having to set screenblocks to 12 and enabling the HL menu.
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

TheCamaleonMaligno wrote: Yes, hl enemies are part of the plan but i'd like to make them as part of the main mod instead of an addon/option.
I think that the HL enemies should really remain as a separate mod, because there are people who want to use the weapons against different enemy packs or the other way around.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That Vort actually looks pretty good, a lot better than other attempts at porting 3D models I've seen.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

1. uhm, what do you mean? it's fine for me, it's also the same range as doomguy's fists
The Crowbar has more reach than that in Half-Life, roughly a 2 arm length reach.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I finally played this, and the weapons are almost as close to Half-Life.

I have few qualms:

Seconding what Valherran above me said: the crowbar should have a bit of a longer range.
The Gluon Gun should not injure you if you get close to the object/wall it's breaking down. It's not like that in the original Half-Life and it makes it feel less like an ultimate weapon.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

4thcharacter wrote:I finally played this, and the weapons are almost as close to Half-Life.

I have few qualms:

Seconding what Valherran above me said: the crowbar should have a bit of a longer range.
The Gluon Gun should not injure you if you get close to the object/wall it's breaking down. It's not like that in the original Half-Life and it makes it feel less like an ultimate weapon.
To be exact, it is like that in Half-Life too, but only in multiplayer. Most if not all weapons have seperate definition files for each game mode, changing their behaviour or damage, like a scope for the .357 Colt Python, gauss-jumping with the Tau Cannon/Gauss Gun or explosive projectile bolts for the crossbow if hip-fired.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”