DOOM - Hellwalker Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The_Abysswalker

DOOM - Hellwalker Mod

Post by The_Abysswalker »

//=====================================================================

DOOM - Hellwalker Mod

What is this?

Evenin' everyone, I'm a guy who's really bad at making good descriptions and detailed threads so I'll get straight to the business.
This is a monster mod.
It started as an addon to Death Foretold (which I encourage you to try if you still haven't and if you like it drop a vote for MOTY on ModDB) that enhanced enemy behaviour but eventually grew out of the shell of an addon to a full-fledged mod, standalone and compatible with most gameplay mods out there (tested with Trailblazer, PB3.0, BD21, RussianOverkill, EVP,IB, FinalDoomer, High Noon Drifter, SeriousDoom, etc.)

What does it have to offer?
The goal of this mod is simple: making Doomguy/slayer's life harder.
  • Challenging gameplay through much more aggressive behaviour from monsters in general
  • D4T monsters. Some sprited from scratch, some edited. Most of them have additional attacks to pick from
  • A dozen new monsters, both known and new (like the "Scorpion"Revenant)
  • Quake Monsters added to the mix: Fiends, Vores, Shamblers will love to hunt you down
  • Zombieman variants: Chainsaws, Shotguns, assault rifles, chainguns, plasmarifles. They also throw grenades at you and upon death their tortured soul (wink wink) will charge at you for not having the last laugh
  • Evil Marines: From simple henchmen to all-out bosses, these guys sure know how to put up a challenge. They can dodge, jump, bunnyhop and aim better than your average bot
  • Rats, Spiders, walking tumors infest the bodies of the former UAC members. Be sure to check the ceilings too, for some of them love to hug your face or spit acid at you (it's totally the rats)
  • Bosses (Cyberdemon/Mastermind) are now even harder! :D
  • Gore Nests appearing instead of decorations
  • A couple new sounds for monsters
  • Hordes of unwilling victims wandering around maps
  • Trust nobody, not even shells. Satanic powers are in play and inhabit some pickups, throwing them at you when they have the chance
  • Batteries Blood mod included (and usable standalone, for the most part)
  • GZdoom compatible. Use whatever version you like the most
  • Zandronum 3.0 compatible
  • Coop compatible
  • Compatible with most (if not all, since it only adds monsters) gameplay mods

Media

Using Michaelis' words, the mod's aim is to make combat twitchy, violent, swift. If you like to run and gun, then this is the mod for you.
Here's a short video showing the mod in action. Bear in mind, this was using a stresstest build that spawned a lot of stuff just to push the limits of GZDoom in terms of fps.

Here's what a fight against an Evil Marine looks like:

Screenshots

Since it was born as a D4T Addon, there are some features that are exclusive to the version for D4T. They're just aesthetical changes such as player flinching when hurt and the screen turning red when low on health or a blackscreen when dying, but nothing major (and I'm sure that not all people like said features).

DOWNLOADS

IMPORTANT!
Load order should ALWAYS be (when using a gameplay mod of choice):
Gameplay mod of choice
Hellwalker Blood
Hellwalker
Any Patches (PB and BD)

The order MUST be respected in order to work flawlessly.

Hellwalker - Standalone version
GZDoom
Zandronum

Hellwalker - D4T Addon
GZDoom
Zandronum

BD Patch:
Here

Each version has the blood mod included.
Load order is after your desired gameplay mod. If you're using PB, load the mod BEFORE PB, then the PB main .pk3, then the Hellwalker_PB patch file included.

Memo: Spam "Use" key to get the hugger off you!

Changelog:
Fixed Zandronum compatibility, edited a few spawns to make them less aggressive towards the player.
Erased the wound/stagger state from D4T for the standalone version
Reduced damage of HellBarons

Enjoy, and RIP 'N TEAR!

Credits:
DBT, Michaelis & crew: Death Foretold
Michaelis: Scripting help (<3)
Michaelis, BRYINA, Ragequit, ADMERAL, ImAFuckinCorn, DoomKrakken, XSlayer300 and all the others on Discord for the feedback given and the shit 'n giggles when testing the mamamia imps (F)
Pa1nkiller: A few code lines/sprites
Logan and Keksdose for a couple LOS sprites/graphics (check out that mod, it's fantastic!)
Ghastly_Dragon/Captain Toenail: Forgotten One
Eriance, Ghastly Dragon, Sandypaper: Diabloist
Ghastly_dragon, captain Toenail: Trite
Horror Movie Guy, Finalizer, Vader: ZombieFodder
HorrorMovieGuy: Quake I Stuff Ultra
SidDoyle: Droplets base code
Last edited by The_Abysswalker on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: DOOM - Hellwalker Mod

Post by Rachael »

Please shrink your images. They've been transformed into links until you do.
Community Guidelines wrote:Be VERY CAREFUL with images and videos! When making posts that contain high amounts of large images or video embeds, we would much prefer if you used thumbnails or off-site links instead. If you must post large images (anything larger than 640x480 pixels), see the Guidelines for Posting Images below. Not everybody has a powerful (or unlimited) internet connection. Some of our users are stuck on narrow bandwidth due to location; others may be using mobile internet that comes with data transfer caps. Please keep these people in mind.
DoodGuy

Post by DoodGuy »

I WAS NOT TOLD TO COME HERE AND PRAISE THIS MOD AND SAY GOOD STUFF TO IT

Ok real talk, if you thought D4T needs to be harder, try this mod, you will sometimes get creeped out, and sometimes scream from all of the ultra-violence in the level. 8/10, because some bullshit attacks
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Man this mod gets crazy fast. I was playing it with some other gameplay mods and you can get overwhelmed pretty quickly even on lower difficulties due to all the spawns.
The_Abysswalker

Updating Zandronum version to 3.0 tomorrow.
-Ghost- wrote:Man this mod gets crazy fast. I was playing it with some other gameplay mods and you can get overwhelmed pretty quickly even on lower difficulties due to all the spawns.
Which gameplay mod, might I ask? :)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I was messing around with the OSJC Oldskool mod, sort of like a vanilla+ experience, so I still had normal movement, health, etc. with somewhat stronger weapons. I was also playing BTSX2 though, so enemy placement in that first level may have let a lot of them swarm me at the start.

Other than D4T, is there a particular type of gameplay mod you'd recommend for this? I was mostly trying to figure out if it's something that's works better with a mod like Russian Overkill or something more subtle like SmoothDoom or other lighter gameplay mods.
The_Abysswalker

Added Zandronum compatibility (3.0) and fixed some spawns that were far too aggressive.
Removed the Stagger state from all monsters in the standalone version.
-Ghost- wrote:I was messing around with the OSJC Oldskool mod, sort of like a vanilla+ experience, so I still had normal movement, health, etc. with somewhat stronger weapons. I was also playing BTSX2 though, so enemy placement in that first level may have let a lot of them swarm me at the start.

Other than D4T, is there a particular type of gameplay mod you'd recommend for this? I was mostly trying to figure out if it's something that's works better with a mod like Russian Overkill or something more subtle like SmoothDoom or other lighter gameplay mods.
Well every mod mentioned above is good, I'd have to include SmoothDoom to the list.

A mod that enhances firepower (not at the ridiculous levels of RO) is recommended, subtle gameplay mods like SmoothDoom make the experience more difficult.
louie g

Post by louie g »

Looks kick ass dude, wanted an expanded monster wad in d4t for a while now. However I'm getting this:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "D4T_Hellwalker_GZD.pk3:decorate/powerups.aed" line 8:
Tried to define class 'DmPowerupSpawner' more than twice in the same file.

Load order should be correct, what should I do boss?
The_Abysswalker

louie g wrote:Looks kick ass dude, wanted an expanded monster wad in d4t for a while now. However I'm getting this:

Is the load order

D4TV21
Hellwalker_Blood
D4T_Hellwalker_GZD

?

Also, what version of GZDoom?
louie g

Post by louie g »

The_Abysswalker wrote:
louie g wrote:Looks kick ass dude, wanted an expanded monster wad in d4t for a while now. However I'm getting this:

Is the load order

D4TV21
Hellwalker_Blood
D4T_Hellwalker_GZD

?

Also, what version of GZDoom?
Yes sir, and the version for GZdoom is g3.0.1
The_Abysswalker

louie g wrote: Yes sir, and the version for GZdoom is g3.0.1
Hmm. I'm using GZD 3.2.1 and I'm not having any issues using the same exact load order :shock:
louie g

Post by louie g »

Couldn't get d4t to work, but hot damn the base mod is good. Flows really well with Comined Arms, and even then I actually found myself struggling to aim at an imp for once, something I'd never thought would happen. Good stuff man.
The_Abysswalker

louie g wrote:Couldn't get d4t to work, but hot damn the base mod is good. Flows really well with Comined Arms, and even then I actually found myself struggling to aim at an imp for once, something I'd never thought would happen. Good stuff man.
Did you use the version specific for D4T? May sound like a stupid question, but it's impossibru that it doesn't work xD

Try dl-ing D4T again :cry:

I'm happy that you're liking it =) I'll soon post an update to the standalone version making zombies a little less healthy along with some bugfixes, so that you can play it with ease even with gameplay-light mods (such as SmoothDoom)

kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Good Afternoon!

I play this mod and it definaly makes things harder but i would like to recomend 2 things. (Useing the standalone varient)

1st for the love of god REDUCE the rate forgoten's spawn when killing zombies. they just eat trough ammo and they being really fast does not help either.

2nd since this works with smooth doom aparently. i think it should work with guncaster. but for some reason it does not.
The_Abysswalker

kadu522 wrote:Good Afternoon!

I play this mod and it definaly makes things harder but i would like to recomend 2 things. (Useing the standalone varient)

1st for the love of god REDUCE the rate forgoten's spawn when killing zombies. they just eat trough ammo and they being really fast does not help either.

2nd since this works with smooth doom aparently. i think it should work with guncaster. but for some reason it does not.
1) They're nerfed already, I'm waiting to RESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLVE issue number 2) to reupload it =). They will still spawn 100% of the time but it'll take 1-2 pistol rounds to kill them.

2) Working on it :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”