Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 30/10/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SenteyHunter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Iron Snail [v1.2]

Post by SenteyHunter »

Seems fun. Keep working on it! :cheers:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Iron Snail [v1.2]

Post by Captain J »

Hahahah, this mod is super-great! Also nice to see the mechanics and even sound effects like soldiers screaming are in this mod. I really love some doom mods with Metal Slug references like Lizard Squad. You've done a great job!

But some feedback for ya;

- Only Rocket Launcher will display 'Picked up the Rocket Launcher!' While other weapons displays 'You Got the (Weapon Name)'!

So yeah, that's it. Keep up the good work.
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Iron Snail [v1.3]

Post by Melodica »

v1.3 is out!

changes include:
-bulletpuffs are replaced with particles now because i was bored one day and i remembered A_SpawnParticle was a thing.
-added the mars brain as a stand in for the metal slug mars people! they spit homing plasma at you that you can destroy mid flight!

also featured in this release is the metal slug music randomizer! including a whole 9 tracks from metal slug x and 3. this is still a WIP and its completely optional from the main mod, but expect more songs from metal slug 1, x and 3 in the future!
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [v1.3.5]

Post by Melodica »

a small update is out now, v1.3.5, adding the captives! they replace the weapon spawns and will give you the respective weapon they replace, alongside a thanks and a grenade! a bigger update out is the one made to the metal slug music randomizer, now having almost double the songs! still no songs from metal slug 1 as i am waiting on someone helping me to loop them for me and im busy trying to loop the metal slug 3 songs.
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [v1.4]

Post by Melodica »

"Mission, complete!"

im happy to say that I have reached what I consider to be the final-ish version of this mod! this version adds the "Mission, complete!" voice over from the metal slug games and the "Mission, start!" message at the start of maps (optional). The music pack has recieved a small update to fix the loop point in 1 song. im gonna eventually add another class, whose weapons resemble their metal slug counterparts more, but for now im calling this mod done. if you have feedback on anything, please post it, since im really interested in what people have to say, and i might end up doing something on the feedback of a few weapons and such.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: Iron Snail [v1.4]

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I've really been enjoying this mod lately but I felt like it was a bit slowpaced compared with metal slug so I put together a minimod that adds a new difficulty that makes enemies do double damage but have half HP. Healing items also give double HP. Other than that, I really love the weapons and enemies. The added extra options are also a nice touch!
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [v1.4] [Zandronum Version available!]

Post by Melodica »

so, small update. decided to try making a zandro compatible version of this.

it was a mistake.

i gave up halfway through, but its something i guess. might as well release it here instead of letting it rest somewhere in my hdd forever.

doesnt include cyberlord, traitors, or any nazi variant other than the new nazi.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I'd suggest you try and implement a colorful variety of soldiers (gatling, futuristic, fanatic, etc.), Beef up the BFG9000 replacement, rockets, maybe add in Super Grenade, Flame Shot, and a shotgun whose blast is literally a directed explosion, maybe replace SMG with Heavy Machinegun. Oh, and replace the fist with the zantetsu sword.
Y'know, like the other metal slug doom wad.
Last edited by EddieMann on Mon May 14, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

Updated the zandronum version! Finished converting a couple more enemies, and most importantly, made projectiles go through players!
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [v1.5]

Post by Melodica »

v1.5 is a thing now!

the fist has been replaced with a knife (thanks for Sgt. Shivers for letting me use his sprites!) and captives are now replaced with weapon boxes (more slightly indepth explanation as to why this happened in the changelog)!
badcaradvice

Post by badcaradvice »

EddieMann wrote:I'd suggest you try and implement a colorful variety of soldiers (gatling, futuristic, fanatic, etc.), Beef up the BFG9000 replacement, rockets, maybe add in Super Grenade, Flame Shot, and a shotgun whose blast is literally a directed explosion, maybe replace SMG with Heavy Machinegun. Oh, and replace the fist with the zantetsu sword.
Y'know, like the other metal slug doom wad.
I will second the shotgun, because the Shotgun (for me at least) is one of the most satisfying weapons to use, especially when it makes small enemies explode. This version of the shotgun would make more sense as a replacement for the Super Shotgun.
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [v1.5]

Post by Melodica »

updated to 1.6! added a couple more enemies in:

-the machinegun spider, who fires weak bullets and is ever so slightly faster and weaker than their plasma siblings
-the hell guard and abyss priest, who will fire heavy bullets and summon allies at those who dare oppose the advance of hell through this realm!
-and a bunch of other boring stuff in the changelog!
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [v1.7]

Post by Melodica »

really minor update to 1.7:

-changed up the animations on the Flash of some weapons
-new sounds for the spec ops! they now have radio noises alongside the normal zombie noises
-updated the hud, now the health is to the left below the keys and the fullscreen hud is a wider version of the normal hud!

also added a weapons only version!
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

gonna see how the weps mods works with a certain trinity of monster mods!
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

Very cool mod, the weapons feel great. This is actually quite similar to my current mod-in-progress although I couldn't make the weapons feel quite as polished.

I just have a few points of criticism to make which I've noticed have stayed over a few versions now, and the mod may or may not be improved if these were addressed:

-You can't switch weapons while firing, which is jarring and quite annoying, and I like to quickly swap out weapons to fit certain situations. It wrecks the flow if I have to wait until the weapon has stopped firing and then manually switch rather than buffer the input to switch when I stop firing.
-Whenever you run out of ammo you switch back to the knife, even if you have another weapon. The knife's weapon priority might be set too high (or not set, making it very high by default).
-Former Human enemies are VERY aggressive, even on the easiest settings. They can easily land a hit or two on me before I've even seen them so I'm losing health constantly to what should be considered basic early-game enemies, and some levels won't provide enough health to compensate for this increase in speed and aggressiveness.
-The Gatling Gun is much weaker as a BFG replacement and doesn't have the same capacity to instantly destroy crowds of smaller demons or larger monsters.
-This is more of a personal point, but I'm not a fan of the rockets being slower and then speeding up. Adding a delay to the rocket's impact can put the player at a disadvantage.
-Due to the points mentioned above, this mod greatly increases the difficulty of the game in ways that seem unnecessarily punishing.

I hope that you might consider making the monsters less aggressive, or deal less damage on lower difficulties as it's very easy to lose a lot of health.
If you wanted to go for a very difficult and punishing game feel like Metal Slug then that's understandable, maybe it's not the mod for me.

Hope that you found this useful and continue working on the mod!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”