[v3.1.1] Doom Incarnate: A Wolfenstein style mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I nerf fire based weapons like Dragon's Breath and Napalmkraftwerk?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Yes please, they're broken af
12%
Nah, they're fine
88%

Total votes: 25

ZikShadow

Re: [v1.3] Doom Incarnate: A Wolfenstein style mod

Post by ZikShadow »

Nems wrote:-Not really a fan of health degenerating when it goes above 100. I like to think of getting my health past 100 as a kind of accomplishment, a reward to let me go crazy for a bit later on in levels. Of course, this is offset by the fact that health in this mod regenerates by increments of 20 (up to 100 if between 81 - 99, up to 80 if between 61 - 79, etc.) if it is below 100 so I've gotten used to that. :P
I was a bit weirded out by this too at first, felt that the megasphere/soulsphere's power was reduced, until I accidentally USE-ed a healthkit and found out that you can just about use any healthkit to go above 100 if you used them ala' New Wolf (I missed the note in the mod page's desc about the feature before). Definitely rewards not getting hit and a big help when fighting a tough encounter/difficult boss in monster mods.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

If there are more people complaining about the health degenerating, i'd recommend to make it much more slower. Just sayin'! I don't feel bad about my health being degenerated for some reason.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

It's already pretty slow enough I think, unless you're playing a level wad that is stingy on medkits, you can go pretty high by using the overcharge mechanic alone (I think I managed to around +900 playing Epic 2 once).
It is a bit tedious to use the healthkits one by one though, having an option to pickup healthkits regardless of having 100 health might help a bit.
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

Nems wrote: -Not really a fan of health degenerating when it goes above 100. I like to think of getting my health past 100 as a kind of accomplishment, a reward to let me go crazy for a bit later on in levels. Of course, this is offset by the fact that health in this mod regenerates by increments of 20 (up to 100 if between 81 - 99, up to 80 if between 61 - 79, etc.) if it is below 100 so I've gotten used to that. :P
You can disable that from "Mod Options". Set "Health System" to "Doom". This also disables overcharge ability.

-When dual wielding the railgun and reloading it, the left one has a graphical glitch that looks like a hall of mirrors effect.
Thanks for notifying.
-It would be kind of nice if there were more melee options than just the hatchet though I do appreciate having a melee option available at all times when using just one gun.
Enlighten me with great ideas, cause I don't have any idea for a second melee weapon.
-About 11 levels in Pizza Steve and I have yet to find the NapalmKraftWerk. ;_; I dunno if it's a rare spawn or if I'm just having really bad luck finding it in my playthrough but I hope I'll come across it.
NKW has a 33% chance to spawn in RL placements. You just have bad luck.
-Also not a fan of having 200 armor and still being able to pick up armor as it can be wasteful. However, I can remedy that by showing more restraint in my gameplay and not picking up any armor when I'm at 200. :V
I'll take a look at that.
-Do you have any plans to implement upgrades for the Black Hole Gun and the BFG like you have with the other weapons?
Say goodbye to BFG and DMG. They will be replaced by Lasergewehr and Ubergewehr, which will have upgrades :wink:
They are a bit expensive, though. You need 5 kits for each upgrade.
-Do you have any plans to implement a rocket launcher of some sort? As much as I like the grenade launcher, I do miss having a rocket launcher. :P
Maybe a mini-nuke launcher or some kinda weapon like that. Not in v1.4, though.
-Do you have any plans to add additional weapons? Maybe it's just me but I'm getting Q3A vibes based on some of the weapons and powerups as well as TNO/TOB/TNC and Doom vibes and I think something like a Nailgun would fit in wonderfully for this mod. Then again, I just love nailguns in general. :P
SMG already has a nailgun mode. As a new weapon, I'm gonna add LaserKraftWerk to the arsenal. It's a reskinned version of Railgun, while I'm giving Railgun a brand new sprite.

LaserKraftWerk:

New Railgun:
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

D3athStalker wrote:You can disable that from "Mod Options". Set "Health System" to "Doom". This also disables overcharge ability.
I don't see "Mod Options". That's probably because I'm using GZDoom 3.2.5. I'll try an earlier version of GZDoom once I finish this playthrough.
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

I'm using GZDoom 3.3 prebuild and it's right on the main menu :?

Which mods are you using? Maybe the main menu conflicts with theirs.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

D3athStalker wrote:I'm using GZDoom 3.3 prebuild and it's right on the main menu :?

Which mods are you using? Maybe the main menu conflicts with theirs.
No other mods. Just yours and the Pizza Steve megawad.

I'll have to try the 3.3 prebuild then. :P
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

D3athStalker wrote: LaserKraftWerk:
New Railgun:
The LaserKraftWerk and Railgun are basically the same weapon with similar functions, so it makes more sense just to keep one. How about the Tesla Gun like in RTCW/2009 instead?
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:
D3athStalker wrote: LaserKraftWerk:
New Railgun:
The LaserKraftWerk and Railgun are basically the same weapon with similar functions, so it makes more sense just to keep one. How about the Tesla Gun like in RTCW/2009 instead?
I was thinking to remove Railgun, but it works just fine, so I decided to keep it instead.

Like you said, LKW is very similar to RG, its primary mode fires laser beams in a quick succession (similar to TNO's LKW) while the secondary mode fires a chargeable beam (similar to TNC's LKW).

Maybe I could add a cvar that decides which similar weapons should spawn.

Tesla Gun is the one that shoots constant lightning beam, right? Well, it came to my mind, but we already have Lasergewehr. (Said the guy who puts RG and LKW in the same mod :P )
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'll probably become (in)famous for this, but it irks me that weapons and ammo dropped by enemies don't give half the defined amount. Due to your mod using A_GiveInventory, this can be worked around using A_CheckFlag ("Tossed") and another pickup state.

Also, I noticed a stray pixel in the sub-machine gun's idle frame, that isn't there when dual wielding. In addition, the dual SMGs can be tap-fired like the pistol, while the single can not.

One question regarding the Assault Rifle. Is there any penalty to using the integrated silencer? I see no difference in damage, fire rate or spread.

Thx in advance :D
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I'll probably become (in)famous for this, but it irks me that weapons and ammo dropped by enemies don't give half the defined amount. Due to your mod using A_GiveInventory, this can be worked around using A_CheckFlag ("Tossed") and another pickup state.

Also, I noticed a stray pixel in the sub-machine gun's idle frame, that isn't there when dual wielding. In addition, the dual SMGs can be tap-fired like the pistol, while the single can not.
Nah, thanks for pointing out :)

By the way...
Spoiler:
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

D3athStalker wrote:By the way... Railgun gets removed, because LKW will be very similar to that.
D3athstalker I know this might be too late to impliment an idea like this into a mod but I kinda want to share it.

You know how you dealt with the Railgun/LKW dilema by going for the more lore friendly weapon? well considering the work you put into that new Railgun Sprite it would be a shame for it to be wasted.

To prevent such a nice thing from being wasted I wish to introduce this gameplay idea called the Advanced Combat Kit. This item gives you 200 HP and 200 AP and a Super Upgrade, due to the nature of this item it can only be found where megaspheres are located.

The rest of the Item is basically a Megasphere but the component I wish to talk about is called the Super Upgrade. this super upgrade takes on the same concept as those upgrade kits you find through out the levels to make your weapons more powerful but instead of upgrading on component of a weapon the Super Upgrade improves the weapon itself.

For Example with the super upgrade Kit you can turn the LKW into a Powerful Railgun, instead of penetrating 3 or 4 enemies you can clear an entire row of foes and make use of it's explosive slug feature. it might exchange clip size for power itself and reloads might take 100 cells for 4 shots (150/6 Clip UPGRADE) instead of 75 cells for 5 shots. (150/10 UPG)

and the best part is that it takes on the upgrades you have given the weapon and transfers it to the upgraded weapon in varying degrees of effectiveness
"the LKW's Upgrade for improved piercing will give the railgun extra damage towards its explosive slug and improved explosive radius. Clip Upgrades and internal upgrades depending on type will remain the same. However If you choose to use the SUPER UPGRADE on the weapon without maxing out all available upgrades ( AMMO, CLIP, INTERNALS ) you will not be able to upgrade these areas.

The Super Upgrade will definitely turn the tides of battle against all foes and in turn make you a force to be reckoned with so the only way for this item to be implimented properly without turning the game into GERMAN OVERKILL is to have it be collected in a megasphere area via the ADVANCED COMBAT KIT item since megaspheres are supposed to be rare finds usually found in secrets, boss rooms or places where you know the player is probably going to need it. In most cases Good Luck trying to find enough Advanced Combat Kits to to upgrade your entire arsenal.

Also BFG Type weapons will use up 3 SU Kits and the Minigun will use up 2 SU Kits due to their effectiveness.

I hope you find this idea to be useful.
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

TheLightBad96 wrote:
D3athStalker wrote:By the way... Railgun gets removed, because LKW will be very similar to that.
D3athstalker I know this might be too late to impliment an idea like this into a mod but I kinda want to share it.

You know how you dealt with the Railgun/LKW dilema by going for the more lore friendly weapon? well considering the work you put into that new Railgun Sprite it would be a shame for it to be wasted.

To prevent such a nice thing from being wasted I wish to introduce this gameplay idea called the Advanced Combat Kit. This item gives you 200 HP and 200 AP and a Super Upgrade, due to the nature of this item it can only be found where megaspheres are located.

The rest of the Item is basically a Megasphere but the component I wish to talk about is called the Super Upgrade. this super upgrade takes on the same concept as those upgrade kits you find through out the levels to make your weapons more powerful but instead of upgrading on component of a weapon the Super Upgrade improves the weapon itself.

For Example with the super upgrade Kit you can turn the LKW into a Powerful Railgun, instead of penetrating 3 or 4 enemies you can clear an entire row of foes and make use of it's explosive slug feature. it might exchange clip size for power itself and reloads might take 100 cells for 4 shots (150/6 Clip UPGRADE) instead of 75 cells for 5 shots. (150/10 UPG)

and the best part is that it takes on the upgrades you have given the weapon and transfers it to the upgraded weapon in varying degrees of effectiveness
"the LKW's Upgrade for improved piercing will give the railgun extra damage towards its explosive slug and improved explosive radius. Clip Upgrades and internal upgrades depending on type will remain the same. However If you choose to use the SUPER UPGRADE on the weapon without maxing out all available upgrades ( AMMO, CLIP, INTERNALS ) you will not be able to upgrade these areas.

The Super Upgrade will definitely turn the tides of battle against all foes and in turn make you a force to be reckoned with so the only way for this item to be implimented properly without turning the game into GERMAN OVERKILL is to have it be collected in a megasphere area via the ADVANCED COMBAT KIT item since megaspheres are supposed to be rare finds usually found in secrets, boss rooms or places where you know the player is probably going to need it. In most cases Good Luck trying to find enough Advanced Combat Kits to to upgrade your entire arsenal.

Also BFG Type weapons will use up 3 SU Kits and the Minigun will use up 2 SU Kits due to their effectiveness.

I hope you find this idea to be useful.
That's a neat idea, but making the upgraded versions of all the weapons would take a shitload of time. I'm not even including the amount of brainstorm it takes for them :lol:

Maybe this sorta thing would be in 1.15 or later.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

D3athStalker wrote: That's a neat idea, but making the upgraded versions of all the weapons would take a shitload of time. I'm not even including the amount of brainstorm it takes for them :lol:

Maybe this sorta thing would be in 1.15 or later.
It does not have to happen this year or next year. it's just a little idea I felt like sharing, I do understand the time it takes to make the sprites and code all the necessary things not to mention implement a new mechanic without it breaking everything else, I have no problems with waiting.

Mind you the brainstorming Is no real issue with me though since I have got several ideas for most of the weapons in the game in regards to upgraded versions Hell I'd probably need to create a PDF to be able to describe them all without clogging up the thread with an post the size of a 5,000 word essay.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Just wanted to point out that GZDoom itself already has a degenerating health option à la Quake under Gameplay Options :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”