[v3.1.1] Doom Incarnate: A Wolfenstein style mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I nerf fire based weapons like Dragon's Breath and Napalmkraftwerk?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Yes please, they're broken af
12%
Nah, they're fine
88%

Total votes: 25

GoldenGuard95
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [v2.1.3] Doom Incarnate: A Wolfenstein style mod

Post by GoldenGuard95 »

I hope the next big update will bring the heavy cryo weapon + the better alt fire for LaserGewehr and better heavy upgrade for LKW. :)

Also the Super Shotgun still have that bugged reload animation if youll reload it by one shell.
Haikus0258
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Haikus0258 »

I would like an improvement for the inferno shotgun, I would like that instead of firing igneous ammunition it fired plasma projectiles similar to the plasma rifle in doom 2016.
and for the Sub-Machine Gun I would like an improvement that will eliminate the need to reload the weapon. (like a backpack for the ammo)
by the way? Do muffler improvements really affect the way you play?
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

Haikus0258 wrote:I would like an improvement for the inferno shotgun, I would like that instead of firing igneous ammunition it fired plasma projectiles similar to the plasma rifle in doom 2016.
and for the Sub-Machine Gun I would like an improvement that will eliminate the need to reload the weapon. (like a backpack for the ammo)
by the way? Do muffler improvements really affect the way you play?
I don't have a plan to change the way Inferno Shotgun works, and changing Dragon's Breath rounds with plasma rounds wouldn't make sense that much cuz the weapon is named "Inferno" (at least regarding the regular blue plasma).

Hmm, the ammo belt upgrade for the SMG doesn't sound bad at all.

And if you are talking the silencer upgrades, yes they do affect the gameplay if you wanna be stealthy, especially in maps like MAP18 in Doom 2 Reloaded.
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

I found a bug: setting tracer lifespan to '0' no longer disables tracers correctly. (I have checked the cvar and it is in fact 0.)

If you don't want to put an update out, is there a temporary fix a user can apply if they really dislike tracers?

EDIT: It seems you have no tracers for only the first shot you fire.
D3athStalker

Re: [v2.1.4] Doom Incarnate: A Wolfenstein style mod

Post by D3athStalker »

Here is a small update which is mostly a bugfix, addresses some of the issues that should've probably fixed like a month ago but couldn't due to my laziness:

Link: https://mega.nz/#!lhJzBSTa!JVVV5zsMQ6Af ... n4gbpH0Wyg
Alternate link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7qd09kp17 ... 4.pk3/file

Changelog:
- Added an LZDoom compatibility option that fixes some of the crucial visual bugs (will probably expand upon this cvar more).
- Fixed tracers spawning briefly even though their lifespan is set to zero.
- Fixed a rare error where tracers would cause an abortion due to a division by zero.
- Fixed Super Shotgun having a glitched reload animation when you reload it in buckshot mode with one shell remaining in the gun.
- Modified Rune of Spirits; now it offers 40% protection instead of frighten debuff, it now stacks properly without the weapon sprite being inverted and the players with the rune now don't make footstep noises.
- Fixed an actor name conflict concerning bullet tracers between the mod and Kriegsland enemies.
CanisLaticanis

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Thanks for the bugfixes. However, I've been playing around a bit more and I've come to a conclusion: the 'turret mode' for the assault rifle doesn't really work, gameplay-wise. You drop a weapon to get a turret which fires 40 rounds before exhausting itself... it just feels like a poor trade. It also just doesn't feel like it fits with the weapons involved very well - nothing about them screams 'turret gun', really.

Instead, I'd make a different suggestion: the plasma rocket can now be charged for greater damage and blast radius, with a potential downside of using bullets to do so.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

This is less of a bug and more of a "feature that's working so well it could be considered a bug". On Catharsis Mode, you don't take damage on damaging floors that end the level (like in E1M8). This can leave the player unable to progress to the next level unless they use IDCLEV or the "changemap" command in the console. Granted, Catharsis Mode is pretty much a cheat difficulty so cheating to progress may be the best thing to do. However, I felt like it was worth bringing to your attention. :P
42_the_Gamer

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

I just want to ask a question. Am I able to use the mod's resources? They are 12 out of 10 on a scale of awesome.
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

42_the_Gamer wrote:I just want to ask a question. Am I able to use the mod's resources? They are 12 out of 10 on a scale of awesome.
Go for it!
42_the_Gamer

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Danke schön, my friend.
CanisLaticanis

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Some observations and opinions about the weapons I've made, now that I've been playing a fair bit more:
  • I'm very sorely tempted to make an addon that removes reload mash and just speeds up reloads by default; it's a neat idea, but it also feels way too involved when you're trying to move and reload at the same time, and I've found it can also make my hand cramp up.
  • Still strongly dislike the Heavy upgrade for the Assault Rifle. If you're not changing it, maybe include an option to disable the turret mode would be nice?
  • I'm currently unsure what the purpose of the Scythe Magnum is; it doesn't feel like it does much of anything the Paratrooper Rifle doesn't, and thus I almost never use it. Even the infinite-ammo blaster is rendered obsolete by the SMG's laser.
  • The LKW's Heavy upgrade feels like it should make the weapon sound a bit different, just saying. (Also, there is zero indication that the scope can change zoom levels.)
  • Speaking of the LKW and Paratrooper Rifle, maybe they could have a HUD element showing their current zoom level? Not a huge thing, but it'd be a nice touch.
  • Pistols feel a little... less than great when dual-wielded in general; while this is not in the New-Wolfenstein games, maybe reloading a pistol (specifically the Handgun and Magnum, maybe the Kampfpistole?) could be a one-handed operation? If this needs some balance, it could be slower, maybe take 50% more time? (Seriously, I almost never dual-wield the pistols.)
  • On the note of dual-wielding, dual supershotguns are awkward as hell (might be a good candidate for simultaneous reloads). By contrast, dual Grimmhammers works really well and is a delightful cacophony of shotgun blasts when you get them firing in an alternating sequence - ammo-hungry but eats through enemies like little else.
  • And on the note of the SSG, I know spriting isn't easy, but getting the slugs for them really makes me wish they had ADS.
  • Possible alternative to the SMG: the Machinepistol from Wolfenstein: Youngblood? I don't particularly like the game itself, but I do like some of the weapon designs.
  • EDIT: Potentially give grenades the ability to be thrown as time-delay grenades instead of proxy mines? Hold to throw as proximity mine, tap to throw as grenade?
And some bugs (though nothing game-breaking, thankfully):
  • The NapalmKraftWerk's heavy upgrade doesn't drop fireballs when you fire while aiming down sights.
  • I somehow managed to set myself on fire with the Inferno Shotgun's upgraded ammo and the Dragon's Breath shells for the Super Shotgun; I think it's because I was close to a wall.
  • The Paratrooper Rifle and LKW's scopes don't retain zoom level when you leave ADS, except they sorta do - they jump back to the basic zoom level but hitting the 'zoom' button puts them at the next zoom level from the level you were at when you last left ADS, if that makes sense. (Just try fooling around with the zoom a bit, it's fairly obvious when it goes wrong.)
  • The handgun ADS sprite's arm isn't long enough when firing, causing a very obvious gap between the bottom of the screen and the sprite.
  • Tried this with Brutal Doom Monsters Only and found that there's a conflict between the 'dripping napalm' sprite and one of the smoke/ember sprites in that mod; I'm mostly bringing this up because you've recommended Brutal Monsters once or twice, and it does fit thematically (the New-Wolfenstein games are definitely on the gorey side).
  • EDIT: The proximity grenades seem to be unreliable; I've had them not detonate when monsters walked less than a foot away from them (and the monsters WERE alerted). Could be an issue with the grenades not 'seeing' through linedefs?
D3athStalker

Post by D3athStalker »

CanisLaticanis wrote:I'm very sorely tempted to make an addon that removes reload mash and just speeds up reloads by default; it's a neat idea, but it also feels way too involved when you're trying to move and reload at the same time, and I've found it can also make my hand cramp up.
Feel free to make such an addon yourself.
Still strongly dislike the Heavy upgrade for the Assault Rifle. If you're not changing it, maybe include an option to disable the turret mode would be nice?
I feel you. I was running out of ideas and originality when I was thinking of an upgrade that somewhat links AR and Schmerzmittel and the turrets are pretty much broken. The next update will remove the turret mode and replace it with something else.
I'm currently unsure what the purpose of the Scythe Magnum is; it doesn't feel like it does much of anything the Paratrooper Rifle doesn't, and thus I almost never use it. Even the infinite-ammo blaster is rendered obsolete by the SMG's laser.
I'm thinking of replacing Scythe Magnum with sth else that is way more unique (at least compared to it) and versatile.
The LKW's Heavy upgrade feels like it should make the weapon sound a bit different, just saying. (Also, there is zero indication that the scope can change zoom levels.)
Agreed, also LKW's charged mode will have new sounds in the next update.
Speaking of the LKW and Paratrooper Rifle, maybe they could have a HUD element showing their current zoom level? Not a huge thing, but it'd be a nice touch.
Good idea. I'm thinking of adding one similar to one in Serious Sam (also I have added different zoom in and out sound effects for LKW but my lazy ass never managed to put them into the code).
Pistols feel a little... less than great when dual-wielded in general; while this is not in the New-Wolfenstein games, maybe reloading a pistol (specifically the Handgun and Magnum, maybe the Kampfpistole?) could be a one-handed operation? If this needs some balance, it could be slower, maybe take 50% more time? (Seriously, I almost never dual-wield the pistols.)
Good idea. I might add it for the pistol but not for Kampfpistole.
On the note of dual-wielding, dual supershotguns are awkward as hell (might be a good candidate for simultaneous reloads). By contrast, dual Grimmhammers works really well and is a delightful cacophony of shotgun blasts when you get them firing in an alternating sequence - ammo-hungry but eats through enemies like little else.
I'm not thinking of changing the way dual SSG works, since they can be OP AF when dual wielded with upgrades, otherwise they would be super OP, even by the mod's standards. Or you can send me an example of the type of reload animation you wanna see.
And on the note of the SSG, I know spriting isn't easy, but getting the slugs for them really makes me wish they had ADS.
I'm not gonna give ADS to SSG since I'm gonna have to remove the weapon firemode change for that.
Possible alternative to the SMG: the Machinepistol from Wolfenstein: Youngblood? I don't particularly like the game itself, but I do like some of the weapon designs.
I'm not thinking of adding any more non-heavy weapons to the game. Even if I do, they will most likely be a separate addon.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Here are some of my recent feedback i would like to share with:

- Hand Grenades are overall so tiny to see, harder to hit. You will mostly have to use the explosives to detonate them immediately.

- When you already have random Superweapon, you can't pickup the another one. However, the message does not appear. Not really informative, if you ask me.

- FG-61's Explosive shot spends 3 rounds per one shot, while it eject 2 casings. Also i found it kinda inconvenient because i have to reload without completely emptying the mag.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS!! The pickup sprite of 5.57mm Kurz Cartridge does not exist, so it's just goes invisible.
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Crouch sliding. Thats it, I have no other ideas to contribute
CanisLaticanis

Post by CanisLaticanis »

TheOldKingCole wrote:Crouch sliding. Thats it, I have no other ideas to contribute
Someone created a patch between this and ZMovement, actually. It's not the latest version of ZMovement, but it's still quite nice.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”