DOOM★STAR [and Cosmic Muscle]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

DOOM★STAR [and Cosmic Muscle]

Post by Skelegant »

ImageDOOM★STARImage

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/mqyoq25h ... OMSTAR.wad
Cosmic Muscle add-on: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zty9cee42 ... MUSCLE.wad

A fast, action-packed mod with elements of Fist of the North Star, DoomStar lets you turn every monster into a living bomb! Reap rewards for blowing up the smaller monsters, and collect mysterious space rocks from the bigger demons to unleash the power from Outside...
You can use your pressure point power more constructively too, striking a dead marine will restart his heart and bring him back into the fray!

Tips:

Use zoom to do the pressure point punch (make sure your enemy's health is low before using it)

Enemies will flash and spray blood when low on health

Use enter to use the bonus items.

Teleport orbs return you to the start of the map, useful for shortening long-winded fetchquest levels or getting out of pits (be careful though, it's a fukken nuisance getting sent back to the start when you don't want to be :P) Throw them at a demon to teleport it somewhere else, allowing you to go find more health before finding it and finishing it off.

Vile Relics resurrect dead monsters around it.

Don't stand directly over a dead marine while bringing him back to life or he won't spawn :P

If you're looking for the secret ending, using the power of the Observers in map30 should help

COSMIC MUSCLE:
With a personal army of hunky cosmic marines backing you up, you'll be unstoppable! This add-on replaces the revivable marines with cosmic marine spawners, and adds a chance to get more from fragged monsters. It also reskins doomguy to go with the others better (credit to IMX for the awesome psx doomguy skin)
Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zty9cee42 ... MUSCLE.wad

MORE ADD-ONS & STUFF:
Lifebars: http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/ ... d-friendly (only problem with this is it shows the goofy names I used for the monsters lol)
Shadows: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54992
Back to Saturn X: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... ds/btsx_e1 (A really gorgeous mapset, works well with doomstar)

Piccies:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Skelegant on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Gideon020

Re: DOOM★STAR

Post by Gideon020 »

The heck is that giant sword from?
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

It's a secret
Spoiler:
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

So far, it was interesting to play. The Thrasher seems more like it's meant to be a pistol replacement tho, and the space rocks feel like a mini-BFG.

Are there plans for a full arsenal replacement/smoother fist animations?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

You're already Playing this mod.

... Literally! :P
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

Captain J wrote:You're already Playing this mod.
... Literally! :P
Imagine being able to jab someone's pressure points and cause them to spontaneously begin playing a doom mod :P
Gideon020 wrote: Are there plans for a full arsenal replacement/smoother fist animations?
Possibly, I left it fairly vanilla cuz I couldn't decide how much recoil or smoothing to add, I like it the way it is but might add mutators later for funzies
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

Feels real good being able to cause a chain reaction of exploding demons. Too bad all that gore can lag the game to hell, though.

And those vile relics? I find it awesome building up a demon army in those slaughtermaps.
zimxpentagram

Post by zimxpentagram »

It would be hilarious if a random demon yelled NANI if you make a chain reaction bigger than 10.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Or maybe HIDEBU- or ABESHI- C'mon. You guys definitely going to see these!
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

UPDATE:
The pistol and BFG are slightly faster and the MP40 muzzle flare looks less glitchy.
The HCF is now more powerful cuz it felt like a water pistol before

And the Cosmic Muscle add-on is finished (finally), download it from the main post and enjoy :D

UPDATE UPDATE:
Just tweaked the cosmic marine's AI a little, they will now circle strafe around monsters to avoid gettin' moidered.
dawnbreez

Re: DOOM★STAR [and Cosmic Muscle]

Post by dawnbreez »

My only critique of this is that the fist seems underwhelming compared to the other weapons. In fact, it's really hard *not* to kill enemies with the updated chaingun, especially if they're smaller. If I were you, I'd give the fist good DPS, but make it impossible to kill monsters with the fist--unless you use the pressure point punch.

I would also suggest doing some fancy stuff with either the "wound" state or Zscript to make enemies bleed, sparkle, or otherwise do something noticeable when they're vulnerable to the pressure point punch. I'd go with a bleed effect--that way, the player has to stop shooting to check for the effect, which rewards players for not just throwing bullets around.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

dawnbreez wrote:My only critique of this is that the fist seems underwhelming compared to the other weapons. In fact, it's really hard *not* to kill enemies with the updated chaingun, especially if they're smaller. If I were you, I'd give the fist good DPS, but make it impossible to kill monsters with the fist--unless you use the pressure point punch.

I would also suggest doing some fancy stuff with either the "wound" state or Zscript to make enemies bleed, sparkle, or otherwise do something noticeable when they're vulnerable to the pressure point punch. I'd go with a bleed effect--that way, the player has to stop shooting to check for the effect, which rewards players for not just throwing bullets around.
Those are both excellent ideas, I might actually make the fist weaker but much more rapid (bruce lee style lol)
I think I could implement the damage indicator by checking the monster's health and entering the low health state if it's near death.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Skelegant wrote: I think I could implement the damage indicator by checking the monster's health and entering the low health state if it's near death.
There's actually a special state for that! I discovered it while working on a prototype of something or other. It's called the "wound" state, and it activates if a monster is below a certain amount of health (set with the WoundHealth property). You can even do different wound states for different damage types.
MyLifeIsAJoJoke

Post by MyLifeIsAJoJoke »

zimxpentagram wrote:It would be hilarious if a random demon yelled NANI if you make a chain reaction bigger than 10.
YES please do this skele
Skelegant

Re: DOOM★STAR and Cosmic Muscle

Post by Skelegant »

UPDATE: Enemies now flash and spurt blood when weak (thanks Dawnbreez :D) and pressing zoom with any weapon will do the pressure punch (thanks Term for the feedback)
plus I added a few rare easter eggs, a new friendly marine and lessened the amount of blood created by blowing enemies up (there's still plenty but now it won't turn your game into a leisurely slideshow lol)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”