Complex DooM (UPDATED 10/01/22)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Keen

Re: Complex DooM (UPDATED 15/11/21)

Post by Captain Keen »

One other thing I've noticed... in some wads, like Akeldama, when you use a teleporter, the screen will flash a solid color, like purple or grey. This doesn't happen in the wad by itself without Complex running, but it also doesn't happen using Complex in vanilla Doom or Doom II. Not sure what is causing that. It happens regardless of load order; i.e. whether the wad is loaded first or Complex is loaded first.

This is a fantastic mod, btw, perhaps my favorite gameplay modifier. I am using GZDoom (Hardware rendering) 4.7.1 with no other modifiers. Just a wad and Complex.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Mod updated, link and changelog in the OP.

As usual, spot any weirdness going on just call it out in here.

@Captain Keen I've never seen that issue before, I'll check it out when I get some time. As for the keys, it was the way I did shared keys some years back before Zan even had it as a DMFLAG. Ideally, I should just remove it completely as its basically useless now that the flag exists.

I'm glad you enjoy it!
Captain Keen

Post by Captain Keen »

Daedalus wrote:@Captain Keen I've never seen that issue before, I'll check it out when I get some time. As for the keys, it was the way I did shared keys some years back before Zan even had it as a DMFLAG. Ideally, I should just remove it completely as its basically useless now that the flag exists.

I'm glad you enjoy it!
Ah, that makes sense about the keys. Yeah, I think you can definitely remove it now in 2022.

As for the teleporter thing, Map 17 in Akeldama is an easy way to check it out. It's basically the first teleporter you come to if you kinda just walk forward and take the turns.

Anyway... thanks again for the amazing mod!!
PFL

Post by PFL »

== Fixed the Radsuit moving around after it respawns

Well, while the changes are somewhat minor in this update, I kinda gotten used to the radiation suit respawning and moving along. In the first case, since the mod gets the game to a higher level of difficulty, a respawning suit provided a nice little advantage over the usual one time usage. On the moving suit matter, knowing it shouldn't respawn and even less moves when it respawns, I liked it in some maps; you could get it closer to wherever you wished with some patience, let say, to back track a long lava corridor.

Now, both of these "features" are gone with the update. I am the only one to miss these ?

EDIT:

I should also mention that being able to grab the weaker armors when "full" is not good. In the action, you can accidently grab these and can no longer take them afterward when you really need them. If a gun is loaded, you cannot put some more ammo in it so the same should apply to the armor kits and, of course, to all the spheres.

So from my point of view, as a heavy user of the mod, I suggest to get rid of that "improper" armor feature and to bring back the respawning rad suit, moving or not :). Or maybe let the player choose like if it was a cheat option.
Dron12261
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10/11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Complex DooM (UPDATED 10/01/22)

Post by Dron12261 »

[I immediately apologize for the English, I translated this text through Google Translate]

I made an unofficial v27c1 UNOFFICIAL update for Complex Doom with the following changes:

(-) Removed replacement for Commander Keen.
(+) Added cvar Pistol Start Bonus(cd_pistolstartbonus) - at the start in pistol
start mode, the player will also have 100 green armor, 3 ammo satchels and
a certain number (set by cvar below) weapon upgrade boxes.
(+) Added cvar Pistol Start Bonus Upgrade Boxes Count(cd_pistolstartwubcount) -
number of weapon upgrade boxes spawning in pistol start bonus mode.
(+) The system of weapon upgrade boxes has been reworked :geek: - now you can choose
one of three modes through cvar Weapon Upgrades Style(cd_weaponupgradesstyle):
1) Old - A random upgrade just falls out of the box;
2) Checking the player's weapons - Only the weapons that the player has are
dropped from the box.
3) Portable upgrades - A random upgrade just drops out of the box, but now
it is a portable active inventory item.
(+) Also, now all gameplay cvars are saved in the config (I'm tired of re-plugging
them after each restart).

All changes are purely optional (except maybe Commander Keen) and are controlled in the mod's settings via Cvars.

Enjoy the game, because Complex Doom is still one of the best mods :wink: .

[At the request of Daedalus, the link has been removed. :roll: ]
Last edited by Dron12261 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

PFL wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:48 am EDIT:

I should also mention that being able to grab the weaker armors when "full" is not good. In the action, you can accidently grab these and can no longer take them afterward when you really need them. If a gun is loaded, you cannot put some more ammo in it so the same should apply to the armor kits and, of course, to all the spheres.

So from my point of view, as a heavy user of the mod, I suggest to get rid of that "improper" armor feature and to bring back the respawning rad suit, moving or not :). Or maybe let the player choose like if it was a cheat option.
Only just saw this, oops.

It isn't a feature it is a bug which I'll fix either in a hotfix or with next release. I'm positive someone mentioned it in Zandronum to me some time ago too but I completely forgot about it. The Radsuit moving around was also a bug/unintentded side effect of the old ammo respawn cvar, this won't be reverted I'm afraid.

@Dron12261 I'm glad you enjoy the mod but all of that could have been easily done in a small addon instead of directly modifying the main without permission and then posting it here. Can you or a moderator please remove it, I do still work on this from time to time.
Dron12261
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10/11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dron12261 »

Daedalus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:05 am @Dron12261 I'm glad you enjoy the mod but all of that could have been easily done in a small addon instead of directly modifying the main without permission and then posting it here. Can you or a moderator please remove it, I do still work on this from time to time.
I'd like to leave this here as a temporary stub until you release the next mod update, after which I'd delete it. I also in the mod itself, in the menu, put a nameplate saying that this is an unofficial fix, so as not to mislead people. Here I have implemented minor, but very useful improvements that so many people wanted to see in the mod. And I would be very happy to see in the next update a cvars for the pistol start bonus and a redesigned weapon enhancement system, because in its current form it is partly broken as a game mechanic. Also, weapon enhancements played in a new way in pistol start by spawning a certain number of boxes at the start (from 1 to 3). Doing it all through addon would be extremely crutchy and unjustifiable for small fix, redefining a huge amount of objects (I hate to see what horror is happening with all sorts of Clusterfuck and God Complex in this regard). But if for some reason it's suddenly important to you, I can take down the post on this forum.
Last edited by Dron12261 on Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Complex DooM (UPDATED 10/01/22)

Post by wildweasel »

If it's as small of a modification as you say it is, I see no reason why it couldn't be retooled into being an add-on and not a complete replacement of the file.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”