[BETA] DEAD MARINE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gifty

[BETA] DEAD MARINE

Post by Gifty »

DEAD MARINE

Dead Marine is a weapons/gore/HUD/general enhancement mod for GZdoom which aims to add atmosphere, visual pizzazz, and modern punch to Doom without changing any of the gameplay or mechanics. All additions are meant to be "lore-friendly" and look as close to Id's original style as possible. I've tried to use lo-fi hand-drawn effects and originally sourced sounds (from the same libraries frequented by Bobby Prince!) as much as possible rather than borrowing from other mods or games.

This mod is CURRENTLY IN BETA, which means it's essentially feature-complete but I want to incorporate community feedback and improve a few things before it's considered a proper release! Hopefully I can get a video trailer up for future versions.

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

+======================*=*=*========================+
ARMS
-A heavier, meaner, more smoothly animated version of Doom's original arsenal
-All-new sounds meant (mostly) to fondly resemble the originals
-No balance or gameplay changes, just extra beef

EFFECTS
-New simple, but fun gore system.
-Minor enemies SNARL when they see you!
-Minor enemies MELT in GOOP!
-Optional "mood sounds" dynamically add ambient sounds to levels. Try turning the music off! (Works best on maps with a decent amount of decorative props)
-Lo-fi particle and sprite effects to spice things up with a 90s flair
-Dead marines leave blood and graffiti on the walls, revealing a dire struggle

TAC-HUD

-Taken from the blocky hard-plastic consoles of yesteryear, your heads-up visor will give you everything you need to survive through a series of VERY GREEN CRT displays for easy readability. Includes readouts for arms, health, and mission statistics, as well as a brief sitrep at the beginning of each level.

[changelog]
Spoiler:
Last edited by Gifty on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:50 am, edited 10 times in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [BETA] DEAD MARINE

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Pretty cool! Do you plan to add a replacement for the fullscreen HUD as well?

I do not think the Directive part is necessary, though; it is not as if Doom offers much variety in terms of mission objectives.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

So I guess this is kind of Smooth Doom 2 but not really then? It's pretty cool!

Only problem I have with it currently is the lack of numbers on the HUD for health and armor and the fact that the recoil needs to be adjustable as it's quite long, jarring, and for my friend, dizzying. It could really use a bit of toning down. I do appreciate its presence, though.

Also, would it be possible to make Sprite Shadows optional? With certain maps even with just vanilla and Duke Shadows by itself it can cause immense lag with enough monsters.

I really quite like the new sounds (though I feel neutral about the plasma gun) and it even kinda sounds like the double barrel has a double blast sound. Not really into the plasma gun projectiles' new purple color. I also absolutely love how weapons float and bob and have particles until you're already carrying one after which they stop doing so.
Last edited by Someone64 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It seems the Hellknight, the Lost Soul and the Baron of Hell still spill red blood. The Cacodemon does not produce blood splats when shot anymore.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Just found an odd issue. It seems the ambient sounds might be interrupting music, causing it to stop.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

The visual effects are attractive, the linearity of item sounds is music to my ears and the gore and gibbing is so goddamn satisfying. It's hard to tell why i had too much fun, given this is, in the root, a enhanced vanilla. Maybe it's the high quality and dedication put into it.

This is very, very promising. I loved it. Solid job, we want more, man!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Great job! Feels exactly like what you were going for, like a vanilla+ with extra effects. Will you be implementing more animations or decorations or anything like that? I like what you did with the marine corpses and putting blood on the walls, even more stuff like that would be great for spicing up the maps. More death animations to go with the gore would be good too.
NotSoHazy

Post by NotSoHazy »

I think i just got a boner
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Zombie drops seem to give the same amount of ammo as just lying there pickups, as opposed to half. Also, this may be personal taste but I wish health and armor were represented as a clear number somewhere on the hud so I can be sure I'm not wasting a health pickup without switching to the alternate hud. I'm loving just about everything else though.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Just played it, no complaints thus far. It's really good, though the sounds of the chainsaw sound a little less chunky than what you'd expect.

Combining this with Kinsie's PSX Doom proved to be quite amazing.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

The HUD doesn't scale properly to 4:3 resolutions (e.g. 800x600).
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:The HUD doesn't scale properly to 4:3 resolutions (e.g. 800x600).
i changed to 1280 1024 andd still doesnt work
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

SiFi270 wrote:Zombie drops seem to give the same amount of ammo as just lying there pickups, as opposed to half.
Someone64 wrote:Just found an odd issue. It seems the ambient sounds might be interrupting music, causing it to stop.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:The Cacodemon does not produce blood splats when shot anymore.
I'm not getting any of these issues on my side, could I have some more specifics of how/when this stuff occurred? (the blood colors thing has been fixed, I'll put out an update soon!)
badcaradvice

Post by badcaradvice »

Gifty wrote:
SiFi270 wrote:Zombie drops seem to give the same amount of ammo as just lying there pickups, as opposed to half.
Someone64 wrote:Just found an odd issue. It seems the ambient sounds might be interrupting music, causing it to stop.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:The Cacodemon does not produce blood splats when shot anymore.
I'm not getting any of these issues on my side, could I have some more specifics of how/when this stuff occurred? (the blood colors thing has been fixed, I'll put out an update soon!)
Sergeants drop shotguns with 8 shells instead of 4; likewise with the commandos, they drop a chaingun with 20 rounds instead of 10.

I haven't run into the issue with the ambient sounds interrupting music yet.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

10/10

But what happened to the lights effect? they got removed?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”