Factotum [16/10/19] Survival

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Factotum (WIP/Playable Beta)

Post by kadu522 »

Ok so here i go playing your mod and... HOLY FUCK ITS HARD!
It is doing something every right however. it made me miss my pistol so so much.

speaking of the pistol. it... needs help bad on the ACC department. it misses way to often even at close range sometimes. i do understand the SMG but man... give the pistol some love.

Regarding the durability system. its quite nice but since you have to find expecific x dodad to fix x gun. it can get pretty hard to fix the gun you need.

EX:Playing the alfonzone E1 at the final map. does haveing a broken pistol and SMG and haveing no shotgunshells sound good to you?

I recomendation i can give is to add a generic spare parts. that does not fix a gun 100% but its a wildcard for guns that you just can't find the proper parts
Also make so that you can make emergency repairs to broken guns. Requireing you staying still for say 3-7 seconds to get the gun back to red level.
Last edited by kadu522 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kadu522
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Also another thing is adding upgrades. and it would give another use for weapon parts.

So the weapon parts right now is a full fix. how about makeing so that they also upgrade your gun if its at max durability. give another good use to expecific weapon parts.

The upgrades could vary from gun to gun and can also have downsides (like useing even more durability)
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Good concept! Found no bugs so far, so I want just to see more weapons.
I have an idea:
1) Make so that every enemy can drop respective weapon (Zombie Men = pistols, Shongun Guys = shotguns)
2) When you come to the dropped weapon, it is not "in perfect condition". They are all worn off for some part. You can take ammo (also random amount left, not the standard amount; 1-2-3 shells for example, not 8 for shotguns), and if you want, you can change current weapon to the weapon with better condition.
3) More of difficulty! Weapons should do less damage, reloading should be slowed down, movement should be like in Hideous Destructor mod. (It means it's hard to aim when you move cause the crosshair is shaking.) Probably there should be 2 modes - arcade and realistic.

That's all for now, hope to see the progress soon :D
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So i've tried this, and it's certainly unique but to be honest, I find it bland.
the shooting... no real reason to take aim, fire slow, accuracy does not increase (lethaldoom has a mechanic that rewards slow fire)
the guns have no reloading or aiming so it plays rather like doom does - except weapons "jam".
Typically with a jam you have to rack the slide/bolt/pump and eject the shell, usually a failure to eject a spent round.

so in short, this has nothing fun about it, just technical under the hood stuff. I would suggest the following:

check out this mod by wildweasel called build your skill
as you get to learn a gun, you can fire it faster/more accurately/reload better.

or maybe add upgrades to the weapons through upgrade kits... ICD-SE had this, WW-Terrorists had something like it, lithium has it, just some sort of weapon progression.
Because there are very few weapons now, the weapons that remain need to be unique and fill all the roles of the originals passingly well.

In lethaldoom, I have tactical reloads (partial reloads are quicker), progressive inaccuracy as you fire the gun quicker, and i tried to keep the guns as modern replacements with doom as far as number and function, while making them stronger for monster mods.

these are just ideas so that your mod has that little twist that makes it unique. I like the art style on the guns, and the special effects on the bullet hits and casings is nice.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Weapon Durabilities in doom mod? I don't see such mods often, gotta say. This durability system makes the mod strategic, don't use certain weapons often, and don't go rambo over the enemies.

Anyway it's an interesting mod. Those weapons are decent and nice, however Grenade throwing animation seems slow.
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

The map packs those screenshots show is still doing my head in, I can't find them anywhere. :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Texture packs. The smg one is a Doom 3 texture pack and the shotgun one is a Hexen/Heretic replacement by DBThanatos.

Also, thanks for all the kind commentaries! I do plan to expand Factotum in the future, but the way it is, is just a beta. So i can't give news about it.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Some bits I noticed:
  • The pistol really is inaccurate. I suggest having some kind of progressive inaccuracy system like Crudux Cruo suggested.
  • Shotgun's pretty good, but sometimes I'll miss something I'm aiming right at. A common trick with shotgun-like weapons is to give just one pellet near-perfect accuracy so you don't get weird situations where you hit everything around the target, but not the target itself.
  • Right now, the machine gun degrades faster and jams more often, due to the whole "fires faster" thing. I'd recommend either sticking to just accuracy downgrades until lower durability levels, or making it only jam if you've been holding down the trigger (which is often how automatic weapons get fouled up anyway--fire enough bullets through the same barrel and it gets a little bit soft).
  • I'm seeing some weirdness with the inventory bar, but that might just be my own mod that I'm testing alongside this because of the Resident Evil vibe. However, one thing that does need to be addressed is the lack of an inventory icon when you don't have the invbar open. I can't see what I'm about to use! I know that there's only one item in this mod--the medikit--but having a spot for that on the HUD and a counter for number of health kits left would be really useful.
  • On the topic of the HUD, the grenade being to the left of all the other weapons made me think it was on slot 1. That's kind of weird. Maybe it needs changing. Maybe not. I figured it out after a few tries.
I know it looks like a ton of criticism, but trust me, I've got so many things to say because I'm so excited to see where it goes. It's not every day that you see something go in an entirely different direction from the usual Dooming.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Believe me, i like feedback! Once Factotum gets more love, all those points listed will be essential stones for the success =)
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Probably make something combined with WildWeasel's 'build your skill' mod?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45966&start=60
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Factotum (WIP updated 04/03/18)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hello guys!

I was workin on other projects when i ended up watching a stream of this mod by TerminusEst13 (also, thanks for the kind words and fun m8), so i thought: Why not?

I've decided to give this a push and make it so the game ends up more beautiful and fun to play.

There's a OVERLOAD of changes since v1, and some of the most noticeable are:

- Totally new item pickup graphics taken from games in the Resident Evil, Fallout and Dino Crisis franchises.

- New weapon sprites for hitscan weapons by Sgt. Shivers, Captain J and YukesVonFaust. Special thanks to willikuer as well, for gladly authorizing me to use his weapons in the V1 of the mod.

- Weapons can reload! I wanted to do it for a loooong looong time. And i KNOW the Calico doesn't reload that way. But we still have higher grounds to cover. For now, pretend that's some kind of reload. I'm not satisfied with that as well, even with wildweasel nice offsets combination.

- The mod can be played with Doom and Hexen as well! I haven't made Heretic compatibility yet, but be sure it's the next thing on the list.

- ALTFIRE now throws grenades! Better than binding a key for it.

- Many of the suggestions given here were taken in consideration. What isn't on the mod, is probably something i couldn't either code or emulate it my way. But don't be sad! I am always coming back to my mods.

Please, play it extensively and have fun with it!
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Played it and Oh baby, it's a hot!
i liked the Calico machinegun!
when are we going to get a slot 7 weapon? (an M72 LAW? An MGL-Mk1 grenade launcher? or the FIM-92 Stinger?)
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

I like idea and implementation! It is fun to have keep an eye on weapon condition. It forces player to think ahead and plan a battle, and to switch weapons more often.

Some questions:
- does the durability depend on difficulty? It would be great if it did. I'd like weapons to break more often :D
- when you use all the medikits, it continues to show up in HUD. I got confused why I could not heal in the heat of the battle.
Spoiler:
- plants in pots instead of stimpacks are not very intuitive, but rather fresh choice of healing item representation (I suppose they are like herbs from Fallout?)

As a side note, is it a coincidence that Factotum, Kriegsland, and Flakes Doom have the same player class name?
Lime

Post by Lime »

This update improves the realism of weapon mechanics. Thanks For Making this mod. Keeping an eye if there are new updates.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

the calico is nice, but yeah I do agree, its really, really weird seeing it reload improperly

Return to “Gameplay Mods”