[Release] Quake 1 Stuff Ultra Reloaded - v1.2 Final

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

[Release] Quake 1 Stuff Ultra Reloaded - v1.2 Final

Post by Mánibranðr System »

=== What is this? ===
This is a continuation of the development of Quake 1 Stuff Ultra V2 by HorrorMovieGuy, who has so graciously given me permission to continue work on it. This mod was originally a port of Quake 1's gameplay to the Zandronum engine for the purposes of enjoying it in a more player-rich multiplayer community. It also took elements from both expansion packs Dissolution of Eternity and Scourge of Armagon to expand the repertoire of monsters and armaments.

=== But why? ===
Simply put, I loved it for the potential it holds, but felt that the apparent lack of quality-of-life features and balancing decisions to both weaponry and map design held it back greatly. It did not account for how fundamentally different map design is between Doom and Quake. Instantly killing yourself in co-op because someone parked their asses onto your face at the wrong time can get aggravating as well. Plus, there were a few extant bugs that i wanted to fix. So, what was originally meant to be a simple patch to change some damage values around quickly because a full-blown project with the goal of polishing the mod to a spit-shine and taking the creative liberties HorrorMovieGuy took to their eventual conclusions.

=== Features ===
As like the original mod, this mod will contain weapons from Quake and its 2 official expansion packs. There will be monsters from the base game, and more than a few from its expansion packs. Then there's the Quake styled powerups and items, as well as could be supported in ZDoom. Additionally, this version has a plethora of weapon and monster balance changes. The weapons from Dissolution of Eternity now has an alt-fire toggle between ammo types. The Thunderbolt and Mjolnir now fires railgun shots. The Thunderbolt Plasma fire mode is now a Plasma BFG shot that zaps nearby enemies as it travels. Both modes of the Thunderbolt and the Mjolnir has damage scaling dependent on number of Cells in backpack, which gets greatly amplified with the Rune of Elder. Enemies like the Scrag, Vore and Guardians now have a miniboss variant that acts a lot like the Hexen doppelgangers and fires more dangerous attacks. Finally, the Gremlins are more than just cannon fodder, being granted more health and more powerful attacks that mirror player weapons very closely if they manage to steal your guns. Aesthetically, this release has sound effects taken from the Quake Epsilon Build with some modifications for the DarkPlaces Engine, and new graphics for the Quake-style key cards and medieval keys that replaces the Doom key cards and skull keys respectively. Don't take my word for it, let this video and a few in-dev screenshots show you what this mod is like.

Spoiler:
=== Download ===
Downloads are available from Mega and TSPG
MEGA | [Link]
TSPG | [Link]

=== Roadmap ===

Code: Select all

For Reloaded v1.3
-	Fix sounds for Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt Alt, Laser Cannon and Lava Nailguns
	- Thunderbolt sounds like a fart
	- Thunderbolt Alt sounds too weak
	- Lava Nailgun firing sounds needs a unique sound
-	Do something with the Empathy Shield
-	Fix Powerup sound scripting for fading powerups
-	Scrap and redo planned HUD changes for fullscreen HUD, standard HUD is fine
-	Add Runic HUD elements
-	Create combo bonuses for the Axe and Shotguns
-	Go more in depth with Rune mechanics
-	Add GLDEFs to everything
-	Create Hellspawn variant for the Spawn

For Reloaded v1.4
-	Overhaul the Powerups
-	Make more cheap n easy monster variants with some new surprises for attacks.

For the distant future
-	Learn to model and create a machine gun to replace the Single Shotgun as the starter infinite ammo weapon.
-	Think of a possible Alt Fire mode for the mine launcher.
-	Port and insert Abyss of Pandemonium content.
=== Credits ===

Code: Select all

Mod Originally Created by 
	HorrorMovieGuy

"Quake Stuff Ultra - Reloaded" Code Rework and Tweaks by
	Valerie "Lady Fuzztail" Valens aka Arche Kruz

Doom and Quake by
	Id software

QDoom is
	Inspiration

HECU soldier from
	Half-Life by
		Valve

Custom HUD by
	AlphaEnt

Allied Monsters AI Heavly Based on 
	Hetdegon's "Marine Helper" Code

Small Plasma Pickup Model by
	HorrorMovieGuy's Sister

Feedback and support from 
	HorrorMovieGuy's Online Friends, including
		FSR clan
		Other Close Friends

Imp MD2 Model from
	Unknown (Possibly ZdoomGl or Doom3D)

Weapon Swap Sound from
	Quake 3 Arena by iD Software

Sound Effects from 
	Mindgrid: Audio - Quake by Jeremiah Sypult
	Small Mod Compilation by Xolve
	Seven's Improved Sound Files edited by Xolve, Credits to
		Jeremiah Sypult
		Seven
		Rogue Entertainment
		Various unnamed Quake authors
	Serious Sam Classic: The First Encounter and The Second Encounter by Croteam

Horn Sprite from
	Quake: Scourge of Armagon by Hipnotic Software
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: [Release] Quake 1 Stuff Ultra Reloaded - v1.2 Final

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Cool! I will check it out. Thanks for bringing Project Slipgate to my attention to you! This looks really well done.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried it out and I have a few comments.

1. Why does the Shotgun not use ammunition and why does the Double Shotgun use only one shell per shot?

2. The HUD does not seem to be affected by the Scaling Options and the Fullscreen HUD does not even display keycards and runes the player owns.

3. Should the Rottweiler not randomly replace Pinkies instead of Zombiemen?

4. This:
ShotgunBlueTint.jpg
ShotgunBlueTint.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
5: Should the Gremlin not replace the Archvile instead of the Fiend? And speaking of which, if I shoot at a Gremlin while it is in the process of converting a corpse into another Gremlin, the dead enemy will briefly raise again.
Mánibranðr System

1. It boils down to ammunition availability vs damage output and average health of monsters, in maps designed to keep you fed with shotgunners and their ammo, and with the idea that the single shotgun will kill an imp with a single blow most of the time, you quickly run out of ammo as you would often spend 3-6 shells killing the imp replacements. Plus the Ogres, who replace the Chaingunners, don't drop any weapons that take advantage of nail ammo. Before the ammo usage tests, I found myself falling back to the axe way too often, because I would run out of ammo 3-4x quicker than I would in Vanilla Doom gameplay. This is why I have a distant plan of adding a machinegun with infinte ammo and very low damage to replace the Single Shotgun's role of a last-resort ranged weapon.

2. The HUD is forcibly scaled, I remembered setting that option when trying to diagnose a bug in the SBARINFO drawing routine. I may turn that off, but I kind of like how it looks, seeing as it's nicely proportioned IMO. As for the Fullscreen HUD, I had a plan to replace it fully, but it's been taking a while. And I might scrap most of it.
Spoiler:
3. They're too weak to be a pinkie replacement. 25 HP vs 150 HP The Knight works better, because despite having only 80HP they are harder to avoid taking damage from if they get too close.

4. That's a pretty subtle error there, nice catch! I'll fix the UV map for the next release.

5. The Gremlins are more of a sister class of the fiend, they count as a medium threat enemy on average, because as much as they raise monsters from the dead, those monsters would be resurrected as another gremlin and not more powerful monsters. Plus they have way low health, like at 200 vs the Archvile's 700. The Shambler would be a much better fit since, it, much like the Vile, forces you to use spatial awareness to avoid their attacks.

However, I will look into the animation bug and see what I can do to fix it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Really liked the changes introduced, however, i have 2 suggestions:
1 - A version with vanilla sounds: I like the original Quake sounds, they feel more metal-ish and fits the Lovecraftian artstyle of the game.
2 - HD weapons: Try using Dwere's HD weapon pack, they are faithful and bring some nice visual upgrades to the guns while keeping the style intact.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

The original mod is quite excellent. I suggest that you make the addon, instead of modifying the original.
Mánibranðr System

Matsilagi wrote:Really liked the changes introduced, however, i have 2 suggestions:
1 - A version with vanilla sounds: I like the original Quake sounds, they feel more metal-ish and fits the Lovecraftian artstyle of the game.
2 - HD weapons: Try using Dwere's HD weapon pack, they are faithful and bring some nice visual upgrades to the guns while keeping the style intact.
1) I can do that, just need to make a fork with the original sounds.
2) I don't know how the whole model thing works, but it's something I can look into and learn down the line, so I can add that to the bucket list for later.
Doomenator wrote:The original mod is quite excellent. I suggest that you make the addon, instead of modifying the original.
That would make more advance modifications a lot harder, considering that I have to work with existing code instead of being able to do major rewrites as needed. There are a few stuff that cannot be overridden, like how weapon slots are defined in keyconf. Getting rid of the weapon slot assignment from Keyconf and moving them to the weapons themselves is going to save me a lot of headaches.
HorrorMovieRei

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

I'm really digging the overall facelift on the mod. I feel like I may have stuck too close to Quake's balancing without taking into account how Doom maps are usually designed. I noticed you also organized all of the ancient lumps I wrote, which were all in a chaotic state, and that's great. About the only suggestion I have, is regarding the shotguns. Personally, I feel like the regular shotgun is too reliable of a weapon to have infinite ammo, which makes the SSG redundant even with it's lowered ammo usage. Otherwise, I'm loving this, you're doing a great job. :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

ArcheKruz wrote:3. They're too weak to be a pinkie replacement. 25 HP vs 150 HP The Knight works better, because despite having only 80HP they are harder to avoid taking damage from if they get too close.
How about a pack of Rottweilers then? The reason why I think Rottweilers should be a replacement for the Pinkie - alongside the Knight, of course - rather than the Rifle Zombieman is that it would prevent them from spawning in areas where they could not reach you.

I also agree with HorrorMovieGuy that the Double-Barrelled Shotgun should be buffed.
Mánibranðr System

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
ArcheKruz wrote:3. They're too weak to be a pinkie replacement. 25 HP vs 150 HP The Knight works better, because despite having only 80HP they are harder to avoid taking damage from if they get too close.
How about a pack of Rottweilers then? The reason why I think Rottweilers should be a replacement for the Pinkie - alongside the Knight, of course - rather than the Rifle Zombieman is that it would prevent them from spawning in areas where they could not reach you.

I also agree with HorrorMovieGuy that the Double-Barrelled Shotgun should be buffed.
I guess I could do that, you do make a fair point. Balancing the shotguns are something I should add to the list as well. :D
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

I'm glad that this mod has been continued and almost everything is really balanced (the shotgun with unlimited ammo is very strong as HorrorMovieGuy said or the Scrag/Vore mini bosses being too agressives for my taste, but it's ok).
My suggestion with the mini bosses versions is some different custom texture to differentiate them from the normal ones. They are a bit more big but when I realize that, it is often a bit late and frustrating

I know that I suggested this a year ago but what about a mini boss version for the Spawn? I think that the Hell Spawn from the Q1 expansion could do a good work for that. It is one of the few original monsters that don't appear in this mod at all.
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Hell_Spawn

Keep it up if you are still working in this mod! :D
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

Is there any version that adds back the original sounds and the Axe ranged attack?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Will there be a version/addon that replaces shotgun hitscan with projectiles like Arcane Dimensions?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”