(v3.0b) Enhanced Vanilla Project (EVP) - My first Doom mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

(v3.0b) Enhanced Vanilla Project (EVP) - My first Doom mod

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

:arrow: DOWNLOAD (current version: 3.0b)
Monsters-only version
Corruption Cards patch
Changelog
Credits

Discord server
(If you like this mod, you can vote for it here. If you want. I don't force you.)

My very first Doom gameplay mod and it's QoL (Quality of Life) type of mod, good examples of which are Smooth Doom and Beautiful Doom.

:?: What this mod does?
:!: Gives vanilla Doom a fresh coat of paint, while maintaining vanilla gameplay.

READ ME!!!
Spoiler:
Be sure to enable center messages (in Mod Options)
Last edited by A_D_M_E_R_A_L on Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 218 times in total.
DoodGuy

Re: Enhanced Vanilla Project (EVP) - My first Doom mod

Post by DoodGuy »

Beautiful brightmaps and animations. Not Beautiful Doom, but somewhat "modernized" Doom without the ridiculous gore and reloads.
BerserkerNoir
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BerserkerNoir »

I love it so far.
Ive come across this issue, happens either in older or updated GZDOOM or QZDOOM.
https://imgur.com/BXG4ff5
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

BerserkerNoir wrote:I love it so far.
Ive come across this issue, happens either in older or updated GZDOOM or QZDOOM.
https://imgur.com/BXG4ff5
Fixed already
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Your work is fine, your mod blends perfectly with the Dark Atmospheric music (Doom 64 or PSX Soundtrack) to an obscure atmosphere :D
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Revenant missiles seem to be invisible in this, meaning you have to keep an eye out for the dynamic lights they still produce.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

SiFi270 wrote:Revenant missiles seem to be invisible in this, meaning you have to keep an eye out for the dynamic lights they still produce.
I did fixed that, didn't I? Try to downloading it again, I do mention updates in changelogs
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I tried the link in the OP again, even though it was "you clicked this" brown, and got the same result.
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

I played for a couple of minutes and I already love it. This is exactly the mod I have been wanting for a while, something to build upon the themes of vanilla doom but still be vanilla doom in game play.

If I had to leverage some criticisms, it would be that some of the weapons lack responsiveness. Like the shotgun for example: I cannot fire it by repeated clicks, and I have to hold it for it to work properly. This occurs for the pistol, and the rocket launcher, and I have a feeling it occurs for other weapons that I have yet to test out, with excepts being the chaingun, and PROBABLY (as I have not tested it) the plasma gun. Other than that, this mod is good.

Fix these issues, and your mod is solid.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Chloroxite wrote:I played for a couple of minutes and I already love it. This is exactly the mod I have been wanting for a while, something to build upon the themes of vanilla doom but still be vanilla doom in game play.

If I had to leverage some criticisms, it would be that some of the weapons lack responsiveness. Like the shotgun for example: I cannot fire it by repeated clicks, and I have to hold it for it to work properly. This occurs for the pistol, and the rocket launcher, and I have a feeling it occurs for other weapons that I have yet to test out, with excepts being the chaingun, and PROBABLY (as I have not tested it) the plasma gun. Other than that, this mod is good.

I don't see any issues with guns
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:
Chloroxite wrote:I played for a couple of minutes and I already love it. This is exactly the mod I have been wanting for a while, something to build upon the themes of vanilla doom but still be vanilla doom in game play.

I don't see any issues with guns
What I mean is that there seems to be a large delay between when the firing animation finishes and when I can actually fire again. This also means that overall, firing by single clicks is slower than firing by holding it down.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Update as of 27/10/17
Fixed Revenant's missile not appearing (renderstyle issue, should've fixed that long ago
Armor bonuses are now look good on all ports
Fixed some frames for Arachnpotron and Spider Mastermind (so as brightmaps for them)
Fixed brightmaps for Arch-Vile's pain frames (Q frames)
Added act sounds for Hell Knight, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind; pain sounds for Hell Knight and Baron

Also I'm working on a new Shotgunner right here :3:
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

Upon further testing, I have found two things.

1. The problem I mentioned before does not exist in vanilla doom.
2. The problem is that there is something weird with the timing of the weapons, the weapon doesn't seem to begin checking for another click until a little after normal walk cycle has recommenced. In vanilla doom for comparison, the weapon could be fired as soon as the walk cycle recommenced.

Of course holding down the fire button produces the normal firing rate. Attempting to fire using timed clicks does not.
For example, in vanilla doom, the pistol can be spam-clicked, and still produce its maximum fire rate. But in EVP, spam-clicking does not allow the pistol to fire at it's fastest. Instead the shots end up being fired at random intervals and is over all slower to fire then if the mouse is held down. This IS spam clicking, but keep in mind that this occurs with timed shots as well.

I hope this helps in finding and fixing the issue which I solemnly swear exists.
A_D_M_E_R_A_L

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Chloroxite wrote:Upon further testing, I have found two things.

2. The problem is that there is something weird with the timing of the weapons, the weapon doesn't seem to begin checking for another click until a little after normal walk cycle has recommenced. In vanilla doom for comparison, the weapon could be fired as soon as the walk cycle recommenced.

Of course holding down the fire button produces the normal firing rate. Attempting to fire using timed clicks does not.
For example, in vanilla doom, the pistol can be spam-clicked, and still produce its maximum fire rate. But in EVP, spam-clicking does not allow the pistol to fire at it's fastest. Instead the shots end up being fired at random intervals and is over all slower to fire then if the mouse is held down. This IS spam clicking, but keep in mind that this occurs with timed shots as well.

I hope this helps in finding and fixing the issue which I solemnly swear exists.
So you just want more weapon responsiveness or something?
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

A_D_M_E_R_A_L wrote:
Chloroxite wrote:Upon further testing, I have found two things.

So you just want more weapon responsiveness or something?
Pretty much.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”