Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.21: SHOTGUN!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.18.5: Minor Poli

Post by Samarai1000 »

Version 0.2 is now released! You may be wondering why I skipped 1.5 intervals, but it's for a good reason. This update has a large addition, a new selectable primary weapon!
-Remington 915 shotgun added! Credit to Mike12 for the vented vanilla shotgun sprites, and again Captain J for the original muzzleflash that I badly edited to look how I wanted.
-The weapon itself is very special in terms of function. If you've played Hideous Destructor, this should sound familiar. The shotgun has to be manually cycled by you, the player, between shots. Unlike Hideous Destructor, this is just done by pressing your 'reload' key after a shot has been fired. You also can't short-stroke it during the cycling, so feel free to just tap your reload key instead of holding it. This feature will have a cvar very soon, because I sincerely doubt it's going to be received well. (I don't blame you if you don't like it) The weapon is still a bit of a work in progress and desperately needs balancing, I am happy with the reload functionality and firing feedback, however.
-Shell drops now also spawn the new "12 Gauge Shells" ammo. I may set this to not be visible to the Rifle class so players don't get confused about shotgun ammo they're unable to pick up.
-Now that there's two primary weapons, you can choose between starting with the M16A667 or the Remington 915 through the class menu. Beware that one class can't pick up the other class' ammo. (This means I also need to remove the 40mm Buckshot indicator when not playing as the Rifle class.)
-The rifle's underbarrel shotgun upgrade now has a more generic pickup message, as the upgrade now also affects the Remington 915. If any other primaries are added in the future (unlikely), the upgrade will affect the altfires on those, too.
-The shotgun's equivelent to the rifle's upgrade is a little strange. It's effectively a semi-automatic blast of extremely inaccurate ripper projectiles with a very short range, meant to be used as a panic button as it can be used even if the shotgun still needs to cycle a regular shot. It's currently most likely underpowered or even useless, so tell me if you hate it and I should remove it or you think I should balance it out.
-Explosive barrels now have a slightly faster exploding animation, bleed green goo, and create a small screenshake effect if they explode near you, but they're still identical to vanilla barrels in terms of functionality, delay before explosion and everything.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.2: SHOTGUN!

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Maybe there could be a scope attachment with semi-auto fire for the M16?
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:Maybe there could be a scope attachment with semi-auto fire for the M16?
That's a good idea, but I don't know what button I'd bind that to. Zoom is taken by the Axe, Altfire is taken by the underbarrel shotgun, and User State 1 is taken by grenades. I guess I could use User State 2, I just don't want to overload the player with keybinds.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Coming in the next update, a new (but still similar) shotgun altfire, reload cancelling, and some new pumping sounds. Going to implement a auto-pump Cvar as well.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Small balance/polish update!
-Shotgun alt-fire is now replaced with a dragons' breath-esqe mode. Try it out! I may revert to a 'flak cannon' type thing later, but for now give this a shot.
-New "Auto Cycle" cvar, which when on causes the shotgun to cycle automatically instead of you having to manually cycle it yourself. I really recommend giving manual cycling a chance, but to each their own!
-Dynamic lights are now added to muzzleflashes.
-New racking sounds for the shotgun.
-It's now slightly harder to gib Zombiemen and Troopers, mostly done so the shotgun doesn't gib them 50% of the time.
-Blood doesn't float in the air if it lands on a platform that moves up or down. (I can't believe I didn't do this before, it's literally just the addition of a single flag!)
-The shotgun's loaded ammo is now set to +Ignoreskill, whoops.
Samarai1000

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.21: SHOTGUN!

Post by Samarai1000 »

I'm kind of conflicted right now, guys. Recently whilst developing I've been thinking of a new mod idea I'd really like to try, but at the same time I don't want to abandon this project as I'm worried I'd end up completely focusing on this new idea. Also at the same time, this project is pretty much feature complete. I've implemented most of the feedback people have given me so far and the little reception its had has been positive. It's right where I wanted my vision of it to be, a weapon mod with a limited amount of weapons that 'feel' good with enhanced effects for some none-weapon things and basic upgrades, one for each weapon. What do you guys think?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very cool animation and the sound effect, as i expected! It looks really strong and such... But the reloading animation looks way too slow. Going realistically, i see?
FIGHTO KNIGHTO

Post by FIGHTO KNIGHTO »

Shotgun seems a little under powered in comparison to the rifle but it does feel better to fire and reload.

The alt fire is pretty weak actually. Were you going for flechettes? If so, having ripper projectiles may not be the best way to go about it, but maybe it is.

A couple ideas off of the top of my head.

Shotgun alt fire
Spoiler:
I propose making the shotgun regular fire penetrate slightly to make it on par with the rifle for large amounts of enemies.

All I can really think of right now.

Ooh, but also, check out Mikk's smooth fire and universal headshots. I like playing it with this mod.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Well derp, turns out I forgot how to computer these past what, 20 days?

Just gave the new update a try, the only big gripe I have with the shotgun is how it's kinda clunky (the whole pumping through the reload button thing I mean, maybe mapping it to primary fire would work better) and how it isn't really semi-automatic on altfire. I'd suggest just making the altfire switching the regular buckshot for some kind of slug - who knows, maybe a slug that explodes almost like a grenade and is dead accurate. I think primary fire could stand to be buffed a little bit as well, or maybe increase the pellet count. Also, faster reloading and making its capacity 5+1 shells would probably make it even more satisfying to use!

The assault rifle is overall quite fun to use now, actually, and the faster reloading of its 40mm buckshot launcher makes it a lot more useful! Though I did find a slight bug or coding mishap: after you fire your last 40mm buckshot round, the loading animation plays all the same. Not a big deal, just a little thing that could maybe stand to be reworked.

The pistol is also quite fun to use, specially on full auto. I'd only suggest making its sprite change by adding a hand sort of ahead of the trigger guard to indicate it has a foregrip like on the M93R.

I'll be honest, I don't really like the longish raise state of the axe and the sort of simulated arc did throw me off a little but that's nothing serious, really. The healing function seems to work well enough, but I didn't have time to sit down and thoroughly test it yet. Damage-wise? Yup, it's a demonic axe alright and I like it...then again, maybe recoloring its head and blade to be black would probably drive home the point of it being demonic.

The grenades are something I don't really get either, as they seem to have the same flat throwing (or rather, kicking) trajectory no matter how high or how low I aimed them - by that I mean, they spawn and start moving forward at the same exact position no matter how high or low you happen to be aiming them. They're alright damage-wise, and the idea of having a second panic button to stun a baron that spawned in your face as you retreat to safety is pretty cool. I almost get Demoman flashbacks due to the animation, and it should definitely stay!

All in all, yeah, it's pretty fun overall. It's a solid little mod and a wonderful first mod. Good job!
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

looks good i am excited! personally i also love reloading but thats just me! i am the reload man!
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

i love it but he shotgun takes too much ammo...but only shoots one shot haha
and the pistol is OP over powered
and why cant pistol and the m share same ammo?
i like the enemy sortiment
AcidFlux

Post by AcidFlux »

I like this very much. Veeeeery much.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”