Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.21: SHOTGUN!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod.

Post by Samarai1000 »

I've tried to implement all of the feedback received in the last few replies into the mod. The file is updated, so give it a download, tell me what you think, and tell me where I messed up. Changelog-type-thing below.

-Replaced side-mounted rocket launcher with an underbarrel shotgun, which spawns in place of the chainsaw.
-All shell/shotgun pickups are still replaced with 5.56 Magazines, but they now have a chance to include a 40MM Buck 'shell'!
-The rocket counter on the HUD now shows shells instead of rockets, and has a different icon to match.
-Rockets are now replaced with throwable grenades, of which you start with four. The grenade throwing animation is currently placeholder, but at the same time I'm really attached to it. Currently you can't change the pitch of the grenade's trajectory, which will be fixed ASAP. The grenade's shrapnel may cause lag due to how messyt it is, plus the code for it would make an experienced coder cry and/or vomit.
-Grenade counter added to HUD.
-Vertical Recoil on Rifle/Pistol adjusted somewhat. The effect is more gradual, but not quite where I want it. (I think I have an idea for how to get it where I'd like, though.)
-Zoomfactor on pistol's fire state is toned down much more.
Edit:
-Forgot about Deii's good idea for a foregrip on the Beretta as an upgrade, damnit. Expect it in an update or two.
Samarai1000

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.15

Post by Samarai1000 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wYZvAzfRlc
I made a basic minigun while working on the next update for the mod, I doubt I'll actually implement it but its fun to play around with. If I did implement it, though, I'd want to keep the mod's two weapon limit intact. Perhaps it could be part of a powerup or a temporary item? Currently when you run out of ammo for it, its removed. I may also make it so deselecting it drops it. What do you guys think?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Make it a plasma rifle replacement, using it's own ammo. To make it not so overpowered, you could make it overheat and stop shooting until it cools down.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

GAA1992 wrote:Make it a plasma rifle replacement, using it's own ammo. To make it not so overpowered, you could make it overheat and stop shooting until it cools down.
It already does use its own ammo. I'm thinking how it will work is that it'll rarely spawn in place of some weapons/powerups, as it effectively fills the same role as a powerup. When you get it, you're forced to switch to it. Deselecting it causes you to drop it, and running out of ammo with it also drops it. The only way to get more ammo is to find another minigun. Unfortunately, the only real thing I can compare this to is how modern FPS games handle their superweapons. (I was inspired by Bulletstorm). I really want to keep the two weapon limit in my mod, but at the same time I feel the Rifle's "Secret" upgrade isn't good enough to be a superweapon. Also, miniguns are awesome.
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

You could replace the blur sphere with the minigun
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hey... Looks very decent for the first doom mod! I really love the sound effects and casing effects. Adding more features like weapons would be very nice.

But still, i've got some gripes to chew 'n spit out with;

- When picking up the 40mm Round, it says "Collected one 40MM Buckshot 'shell'.". To me, it looks similar to Beehive.
- I'm not a big fan of wasting ammo whild reloading even though the magazine is full. Can you make it never waste them? That should help.
- I'm seeing i have grenades in my HUD. But how to use it? I see no information about it so far.
- Like i said, i love the casing effects. But the thing is they bounces way higher. Would be nice if they bounce a bit lower.
- Lastly, it's been a long time since i saw ZIP file doom mod! Are you going to save it as pk3 in the future? Well, just saying!

That's about it. Can't wait for the next update, there!
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Captain J wrote:Hey... Looks very decent for the first doom mod! I really love the sound effects and casing effects. Adding more features like weapons would be very nice.

But still, i've got some gripes to chew 'n spit out with;

- When picking up the 40mm Round, it says "Collected one 40MM Buckshot 'shell'.". To me, it looks similar to Beehive.
- I'm not a big fan of wasting ammo whild reloading even though the magazine is full. Can you make it never waste them? That should help.
- I'm seeing i have grenades in my HUD. But how to use it? I see no information about it so far.
- Like i said, i love the casing effects. But the thing is they bounces way higher. Would be nice if they bounce a bit lower.
- Lastly, it's been a long time since i saw ZIP file doom mod! Are you going to save it as pk3 in the future? Well, just saying!

That's about it. Can't wait for the next update, there!
Thanks for the kind words, Capn'! Here's my responses to your (very good) criticism.
-I'm going to stick with two weapons in the mod, however I am adding a third temporary weapon, the aforementioned minigun.
-The 40MM round is meant to be a 40MM Buckshot round, not a beehive. Though, I wish I even knew the beehive existed, because that looks extremely cool.
-Being able to reload when full is intentional, for realism, but I'll probably take it out as it doesn't add much to the mod.
-Grenades are thrown with weapon state 1 in your controls, sorry that I forgot to mention that!
-I'll adjust the casings.
Thanks for the feedback, oh, and here's some more footage of the minigun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbbuHhNW_U
The music is not a part of the minigun, but the screaming is!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Thanks for your replies. And, huh. Weapon State? Now i finally see some mod that actually uses Weapon States! Would be nice if there's information about it in the First post. And glad you liked my feedback and my goodness, that minigun! Rotating sounds are just majestic.

Well, except it prepares so slow and firing sound might need some loud kick into it.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

Another new update! The file, again, has been updated. Thank you all again for your reception and feedback, I never thought I'd make something people would enjoy playing!
-New weapon added, a down-sized version of the M134. The sprites look almost nothing like one, though... (main post will be updated to reflect this in a few minutes). This weapon, however, is more comparable to a powerup. It replaces blurspheres and upon being grabbed, you are forced to switch to it. Deselecting it or running out of ammo for it causes it to be dropped on the ground or disappear respectively. Holding it also causes your speed to be halved, and you become even slower while firing it. It packs a punch, though, just be mindful of the spinup. Also includes a reference to Predator/Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, depending on how old or young you are.
https://youtu.be/XZ-EOg38t1o?t=52s
-Sergeants are now replaced with Troopers. This change may be reverted, but I wanted a reason for the enemies to be dropping rifle ammo. Troopers have identical stats to Sergeants, however their attack is a burst of three highly-accurate shots rather than a shotgun blast. Please tell me if you think they're too powerful or underpowered, as I'm worried they may turn any level with a high amount of Sergeants into Plutonia-Lite. Also tell me if you find bugs, because their code is practically completely copy-pasted from Sergeants, just with a different attack.
-You can no longer reload whilst full on ammo.
-Rifle casings now have a mass of 20 opposed to their previous 7, which should make them bounce less. (or maybe not, because physics) Pistol casings are unaffected.
-Grenades now have extra sound effects (Pin-pulling, "woosh" sound when tossed) and can now actually be angled up and down. I've decided to stay with the current animation for kicking them because it's delightfully ridiculous.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod.

Post by Mánibranðr System »

VladTopol1706 wrote:Its simple, just use this

Actor ShotgunAttachmentSpawner
{
DropItem ShotgunAttachment
DropItem ShotgunShells
DropItem ShotgunShells
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 0 A_Fall
Stop
}
}
Why are you using a blank actor? It would be a lot more efficient to inherit from RandomSpawner, and you can use the other 2 parameters per line to manipulate the drop chances. This is the equivalent.

Code: Select all

Actor ShotgunAttachmentSpawner : RandomSpawner {
    DropItem "ShotgunAttachment", 255, 1
    DropItem "ShotgunShells", 255, 2
}
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.16

Post by Zhs2 »

That does not drop multiple items. If anything, though, I would have suggested a NoDelay (because that blank actor will actually spawn nothing).
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZX-L5RHAwQ
New powerup coming in the next update, which replaces Berserk. It's pretty simple. It doubles the speed of all weapon related actions, like firing, reloading, grenade-tossing, punching, etcetera. (at the expense of randomly playing samples from a speedcore song when you fire) And yes, it also affects the minigun's firerate and spinup. Credit to Renard Queenston (or whatever his real name is) for the original song that the kick samples are taken from, as well as the cover art for "Wanderlust", which is what is used for the sphere's graphic. And, don't worry berserk lovers, the powerup also spawns a berserk pack which behaves exactly as it does in vanilla.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

Zhs2 wrote:That does not drop multiple items. If anything, though, I would have suggested a NoDelay (because that blank actor will actually spawn nothing).
Ohh, okay, in that case, yeah, NoDelay would work there.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I've had an idea for a new BFG replacement but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice, and I'm not sure where to find the right sprites for it. In essence, it would be a single shot, one-barreled absurdly large shotgun. It wouldn't be directly selectable as a weapon, like the grenades. Instead, pressing the specialized keybind for it (User state 2) will cause your current weapon to go off to the side whilst you whip out the shotgun, then fire it. It'd be comparable in power to the super shotgun, if not more powerful, as its shells would ONLY spawn from Large Cell packs, with a low chance of spawning from regular energy cells. The weapon wouldn't be automatically reloaded after being fired, however. Pressing the button again will cause you to unequip your current weapon (because you need two hands to reload it), reload the shotgun, then put it away and requip your weapon. If this were added, the shotgun attachment for the rifle would be nerfed to more closely resemble the normal Doom shotgun, as to not make this new weapon useless. What are you guys' thoughts?
Edit:
Due to a friend's input, I've decided against the previous idea, though it isn't completely off the table. They basically mentioned that the BFG in doom is a completely unique weapon in terms of functionality, so something that replaces it shouldn't just be an upgraded version of a previous weapon. I agree with this completely, and have decided I may replace the BFG with some sort of melee weapon, instead. A sword, perhaps, if I can find the sprites for it. Again, thoughts?
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

New update! This one is pretty small compared to the others, but I wanted to get the big change and small addition of this update out ASAP to get feedback.
-The Rifle's "Big Shot" upgrade, previous referred to as secret, is now gone. I just felt it was too silly and felt too similar to the shotgun upgrade. If you never got your hands on it, it simply allowed you to shoot an entire magazine's worth of ammo in one shot, effectively causing the equivalent to firing an entire magazine into an enemy without missing a single shot.
-However, the upgrade is now instead replaced with the Axe! I know what you're thinking; "A melee weapon in the place of the BFG? That's stupid." Straw-man aside, I understand if some may think that, but let me explain my reasoning. The BFG in vanilla doom is meant to be completely unique to all the other weapons, in functionality. And it fulfills that purpose. So I decided that the BFG replacement should be different to the rest of the arsenal and its upgrades, so I made it a melee weapon, which the mod was sorely lacking. It does a high amount of damage in a wide swing, and can be swung relatively fast. (Try holding down the button instead of tapping and waiting for the animation to finish, I purposely coded it so that it swings faster on consecutive swings.) The axe also has a lifesteal mechanic that only activates when you're below 40% health. However, it only works on enemies that can tank an entire swing from the axe, not just part of it. (Pinky-health and upwards, basically.) It is swung with your zoom key and can be used with both weapons. Berserk also applies to the Axe, of course.
-The berserk powerup is now 'replaced' with the Wandersphere. It doubles the speed of all weapon actions, at the expense of playing speedcore samples occasionally whilst you fire. It only lasts for 30 seconds, so make the most of it. A berserk powerup is also spawned along with the Wandersphere, which behaves exactly as it does in vanilla.
That's all for this update, please give me feedback on these changes!
(Video showing off the new content below, contains spoilers I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95uDrrniFE

Return to “Gameplay Mods”