Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.21: SHOTGUN!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LukasG2004
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.17

Post by LukasG2004 »

The recoil is wayyyyyyy too intense. It causes motion sickness for me.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Yeah, the recoil on the rifle is way too high, even firing on bursts.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Samarai1000 »

Would you say the recoil should be halved? Or lowered even more than that? I personally want to have high recoil for the sake of 'realism', challenge, and to balance out the weapons power.
Edit:
I'm learning ACS, finally, so expect CVARS in the next version of the mod. Or maybe just one, that halves recoil. Speaking of that, what part of the recoil is making you motion sick? Is it the zooming out, the movement from left to right/up and down, all three? Please explain.
Edit 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxxg4zx9wN8
Does this look better?
Ignore the blood effects, they're only really there for testing purposes and probably won't be included in the update.
Samarai1000

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.17.5

Post by Samarai1000 »

New update! This one, again, is small, but includes some additions I want feedback on in the early stages.

-The wandersphere's random kicks whilst firing are now gone, and is replaced with playing an actual part of the song! This uses "Setmusic" in ACS and will set the level's
music back to normal afterwards. You can disable music in the second cvar displayed below.

-Finally learned (super basic) ACS and added two small CVars.

-Half_Recoil 1 activates halved recoil for both main weapons, however it does not currently apply to the rifle's underbarrel shotgun, and probably won't apply to the minigun for a while.

-Wandermus 1 enables the Wandersphere's music whilst Wandermus 0 disables it. Simple as that.

-Blood effects have been added! They're very basic and use Mortal Kombat 3 sprites that are (badly) edited by me. They're currently highly compatible, though, and will adjust to enemy blood colors as long as they're set. All default Doom enemies are now edited to use blood-colors. The blood fades out after 1000 ticks (about 30 seconds) and runs relatively well.

-Turns out the 9MMPuff actor had a missing "Stop" in one of its states. This had no real impact but it is now fixed.

-BulletPuffs now have fleshy impacts when hitting fleshy targets, however they could use some work in terms of sound.
Samarai1000

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.17.5: Cvars!

Post by Samarai1000 »

Now that I've released that small update, I'm realizing I've hit a bit of a rut, I don't know what to add to the mod now. I need to add custom pickup sounds for default doom item's for consistency's sake, but other than that I can't think of anything. Do you guys have any opinions as to what should be added to the mod or changed?
LukasG2004
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by LukasG2004 »

Samarai1000 wrote:Would you say the recoil should be halved? Or lowered even more than that? I personally want to have high recoil for the sake of 'realism', challenge, and to balance out the weapons power.
Edit:
I'm learning ACS, finally, so expect CVARS in the next version of the mod. Or maybe just one, that halves recoil. Speaking of that, what part of the recoil is making you motion sick? Is it the zooming out, the movement from left to right/up and down, all three? Please explain.
Edit 2:
Does this look better?
Ignore the blood effects, they're only really there for testing purposes and probably won't be included in the update.
It's mainly the the left/right/up/down movement. And also thanks for the quick response.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

LukasG2004 wrote:
Samarai1000 wrote:Would you say the recoil should be halved? Or lowered even more than that? I personally want to have high recoil for the sake of 'realism', challenge, and to balance out the weapons power.
Edit:
Edit 2:
Does this look better?
It's mainly the the left/right/up/down movement. And also thanks for the quick response.
No problem! The mod now has a recoil_half cvar. Turning it on halves/lowers the recoil of the two main weapons (Rifle and pistol), as well as removing the FOV changes entirely. Beware that it doesn't affect the minigun.
Samarai1000

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.18: Enhanced Blo

Post by Samarai1000 »

New, small update released. I should probably stop doing these so rapidly and space updates out when there's actually a substantial amount of content. At the same time, since I'm only incrementing either .1 or .05 each time I update, I doubt I'd reach version 1.0 by the time I'm actually done working on the mod. Either way, here's the changes.
-Blood effects now behave somewhat differently on most monsters. When some monsters (imps, troopers, zombiemen, chaingunners, pinkys, all humanoid-sized enemies) die, they disappear and instead now spawn a corpse actor that plays their death animation. This corpse is shootable for about five tics, and dealing an excessive amount of damage to the corpse actor in this time plays a gibbing animation instead.
-What this means to you, the player, is that enemies now bleed if shot whilst falling over and can be gibbed if shot by a powerful weapon either before or during their death animation. (The minigun makes quite a mess now, as well as the underbarrel shotgun at close range.)
-Those are the only tweaks, but let me use this post to clarify something. This mod is not trying to be brutal doom, as I'm very much not a fan of BD. The mod will never get dismemberment or have the gore become even more over the top then it already is. Okay? Okay.
Enjoy this (tiiiiny) update!
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I'm working on a new minor polish update but won't be releasing until I have something substantial to show for it. Here's the stuff I've done so far, just so I don't end up forgetting when I make the changelog for it.
-Fun's over, archviles are now able to resurrect custom corpses. I'm sorry.
-Gun-using enemies now have 'custom' firing sounds (the same as yours) and also eject shell casings. Though, the casings are so tiny it's barely noticable.
-The rifle has a new-ish muzzleflash, inspired by johnnydoom. It's still the same muzzleflash sprites as before, but with extra rotation sprites added that randomly play whilst firing. It makes firing feel a lot more chaotic, even with half-recoil on!
-Some minor sound balancing stuff and additions. The axe now has unsheathing/sheathing sounds, the pistol has a new firing noise as the previous one sounded far too beefy and powerful for 9mm. Custom gibbing sound added. Grenade pin sound is no longer ear-piercing.
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

New tiny update, but it includes something the mod sorely needed. An options menu! Not everyone wants to have to manually type custom Cvars into the console. It only has two options at the moment, but as more variables are added, more options will be added. Also some bugfixes and changes.
-New sounds for the pistol, the previous ones were too powerful.
-Archviles are resurrect custom corpses now. (unfortunately)
-Enemies with guns (Zombiemen, chaingunners, troopers) now eject shell casings when firing and have custom firing sounds.
-Options menu added, with two options relating directly the cvars added before.
-New muzzleflash for the rifle.
-New unsheathing/sheathing sound effects for the axe.
-Slightly changed blood effects, but there's no way you'll notice a difference.
Samarai1000

Re: Downsize: Babby's first doom mod. Ver 0.18.5: Minor Poli

Post by Samarai1000 »

Working on a very large addition to the mod that might make it in tonight, but is still very much in development. A Remington Model 870 Shotgun! (please help me think of a funny/futuristic name for it) It reloads shell-by-shell, has manual pumping (optional), and is going to act as a replacement for the rifle. You'll be able to choose between a rifle-using class or a shotgun-using class. The rifle upgrades will now be 'generic', and affect the shotgun and rifle. Though, is the idea of an underbarrel shotgun ON a shotgun stupid?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzAp65i9xSI
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

How about Remington Model 915 Combat Shotgun?
And a possible upgrade for the shotgub could be the ability to fire Dragon Breath ammo
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

VladTopol1706 wrote:How about Remington Model 915 Combat Shotgun?
And a possible upgrade for the shotgub could be the ability to fire Dragon Breath ammo
Model 915 sounds good, thanks! I personally don't think dragons breath or any 'special ammo' upgrades would fit, I'm not really a huge fan of magically transforming shotgun shells and I doubt I could do the awesome power of dragon's breath justice with my limited sprites and coding skills. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

And how about of a nerve gas grenade for the shotgun or something like that?
Samarai1000

Post by Samarai1000 »

I'm making good progress on the shotgun. The nerve gas grenade is a neat idea, but I've kind of decided on two ideas, one of which I'll actually choose. The first is an extremely short range spread of slow projectiles with +Ripper available as an alternate fire mode unlocked by the upgrade, or an under-barrel flak-cannon, also unlocked by the upgrade. Which sounds better to you guys?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”