[INACTIVE] Doomzone v1.8.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Someone64

Re: Doomzone (v1.8 Released!)

Post by Someone64 »

It seems throwing a sticky mine over a moving platform (even if it's not sitting ON the platform... as long as it's over it) causes EXTREME lag even after the platform has stopped moving.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Just dropped by to say that you did amazing work with overall code optimization, as well as the added performance options! I found that v1.8 works exceptionally well on my phone's Delta Touch app (GZD3.3.0dev), and, barring a few minor slowdowns when butting my head up against the wall in-game, the framerate is far more consistent than any other mod I've played on my phone, and that's saying a lot. :D
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

SiFi270 wrote:If you're making compatibility patches, then I'd really like to see one for Dimension of the Boomed, because it should go without saying how much fun that would be with the Slipgater.
I'd love to, but there doesn't seem to be a link to the alpha build anymore. That seems to have been removed as of January 5 in favor of a beta build that has yet to be released, but I don't see any thread activity since January 6. I'll keep an eye on the project thread, and once there's a final release, I'll work on a patch for it (if required). Kinda curious to see it anyway, since it claims to use some of my music.
Someone64 wrote:It seems throwing a sticky mine over a moving platform (even if it's not sitting ON the platform... as long as it's over it) causes EXTREME lag even after the platform has stopped moving.
I can't seem to reproduce this problem, as it seems to work fine for me. Is there a particular map or lift that this happens with?
Clocky
Location: Inside a BFG 10K's Energy Cell magazine (Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre)

Post by Clocky »

Dreams come true...

The railgun ejects the Railgun Slugs, just like in QuakeStyle...

And specific ammo for the Railgun, too? Ohoho, new animations for... The Gauss Cannon!?

I just can't wait to throw this at my GZdoom, and play it until it stops working.

No, but, seriously, the Railgun ejecting the Slugs was a very nice addition.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

In the map The Crusher, the Revenant section where there's a lowering platform surrounding a key in the middle. Throw the bomb at the wall using the Samurai. It lags already but when the platform starts lowering the framerate dips to less than 8. I haven't tried sticking it to the ceiling or floor yet. Just the wall directly over the floor.

I tried it on the lift tester area on Kinsie's test map and it didn't work. Still, if it's not moving floors that are the case it MUST have something to do with the sticky mines because once I blew the mines up the lag immediately stopped.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Someone64 wrote:In the map The Crusher, the Revenant section where there's a lowering platform surrounding a key in the middle. Throw the bomb at the wall using the Samurai. It lags already but when the platform starts lowering the framerate dips to less than 8. I haven't tried sticking it to the ceiling or floor yet. Just the wall directly over the floor.

I tried it on the lift tester area on Kinsie's test map and it didn't work. Still, if it's not moving floors that are the case it MUST have something to do with the sticky mines because once I blew the mines up the lag immediately stopped.
It might have to do with the way I'm checking for actor proximity, as the mine spawns a bunch of invisible tracers in random directions. Once one of the tracers is disturbed, the mine goes off. I couldn't find any other way to do it, and tried multiple different methods before finding one that worked. Here's the code for that, if you'd like to look at it.

(Actually, truth be told, this is the code for the Proxy Mine, but the Sticky Bomb is implemented the same way, just with higher damage and different sprites.)
Spoiler:
Weird thing is, I just spent the last hour trying to reproduce the problem in that spot in MAP06, and still wasn't able to. It works fine for me. :(
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

doesnt happens to me either,i use latest stable gzdoom,also nice f.e.a.r. reference its my favourite game :3:
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

Thanks for finally disabling weapons that can't be used by other classes.
7HEPOW
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

Just in time for the weekend :) I was about to ask if you got an estimate for release... XD Thanks!
I'll let you know of weird stuff a "normie" might find ;)
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I can confirm that it's the method you use that causes the extreme lag for proximity mines and stuff. Though there are times it lags more than other for some reason and I wonder why other mods' implementations of it don't lag at all (PB, CD, etc).
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Remind me, vanilla power cells are a pickup for some of the energy weapons in this, right? Otherwise I probably need to update my devbuild.
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

Excellent update! I think one of my biggest favorites of this release was the changes done to the weapon spawning. At first I thought it was just me getting lucky with the good ol' RandomSpawner. Then I tried it again and again, and realized it was an intentional change. Now I don't have to go through a WAD with only 2 weapons picked up for the Slipgater class. :D
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Speaking of which, now that you've fixed the weapon spawning you should probably rebalance the ammo. Before, you would always have way too little ammo but now you always have way too much for every single weapon.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

I was just wondering, after the protagoinsts of doom, Quake, shadow warrior, and F.E.A.R. Who is next?
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

insightguy wrote:I was just wondering, after the protagoinsts of doom, Quake, shadow warrior, and F.E.A.R. Who is next?
I was kicking around the idea of a HL1 themed class. Though for right now, I think I want to work on another project for a bit. I've been working on Doomzone for almost six years, so I want to do something new and then come back to it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”