[INACTIVE] Doomzone v1.8.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Twitchy2019

Re: Doomzone (v1.8 Released!)

Post by Twitchy2019 »

I've played your mod and my criticism is laid in the weapon choices, both the weapons themselves and the default bindings for them. Several of the classes have weapons that are essentially carbon copies of one another. Why do you have classes that need 3 slots for chaingun-like weapons, or a sniper class with two slots for different sniper-skinned weapons? Also, why are shotguns sometimes bound to keys like 6 or 7?
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I second the idea of relegating weapons to their corresponding doom slots (2 - Pistols, SMGs 3 - Shotgun 4 Rifles 5 - Explosives etc) as it makes the mod more streamlined. I'd do it for myself but whenever I try to edit the decorate file, I get a startup error in Gzdoom - as if the decorate file itself changes format when you edit it.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

warman2012 wrote:I've played your mod and my criticism is laid in the weapon choices, both the weapons themselves and the default bindings for them. Several of the classes have weapons that are essentially carbon copies of one another. Why do you have classes that need 3 slots for chaingun-like weapons, or a sniper class with two slots for different sniper-skinned weapons?
The weapons generally have different purposes. For example, the differing "sniper-skinned" weapons have different tactics to them. One hits hard and takes a while to rechamber with a small magazine, one has an extended magazine and a suppressor for stealth kills, and yet another features the option of firing as an SMG or as a railgun. Sure, you could run around and just use them all the same, but to truly utilize them, you need to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

As for why there are multiple types of a single weapon set, the weapons are recreated from the Killzone armaments, and are meant to mimic them as close as possible in the Doom engine. Weapon assignments are based upon the loadouts of player classes in multiplayer, with some leeway given to the base five classes to accommodate newer entries to the series that sprung up over the course of development.
warman2012 wrote:Also, why are shotguns sometimes bound to keys like 6 or 7?
Key bindings are closely (but not strictly) related to their unlock order in Killzone 2 and 3's multiplayer modes. Some of these key bindings have changed over time.
Neccronixis wrote:I second the idea of relegating weapons to their corresponding doom slots (2 - Pistols, SMGs 3 - Shotgun 4 Rifles 5 - Explosives etc) as it makes the mod more streamlined. I'd do it for myself but whenever I try to edit the decorate file, I get a startup error in Gzdoom - as if the decorate file itself changes format when you edit it.
You may have a point, though a previous project of mine had complaints of too many weapons being assigned to a single key. I believe the example being used was that there were four different plasma-type weapons assigned to slot 6, and that cycling through them was cumbersome. I wanted to avoid this as much as possible when assigning weapon slots.

While I've done my best to cover all bases, I must also realize that not everyone can be pleased. So I apologize if the mod isn't up to your standards.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

it occurred to me that you would then have too many weapons in one slot, which is why you've setup the mod the way it is, so you know more than I do in that regard. I'm having too much fun this version of the mod to care that much anyways. The only noticeable bug I've encountered is weapon fire select info not disappearing off the hud when dropping weapons, but who's dropping weapons anyway?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

You might be able to get away with organizing some weapons by Doom class and some by your regular system, I think. Shotguns and more iconic Doom-like weapons could go to their traditional keys, like shotguns on 3, chainguns on 4, etc, while more exotic stuff you could just put on whatever you had before. I don't think anyone actually has more than 2-3 of the "same" type of weapon anyway, so it might not come up as much.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I don't mind the current weapon arrangement, it helps keep me on my toes when playing high-speed mapsets with a lot of violent encounters.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

I've updated the download in OP. Evidently there was an issue with flashlights not working. I had accidentally overwrote the main GLDEFS lump, and when I thought I fixed it, I forgot an #include statement. This has been fixed.

For those affected by the issue, sorry for the inconvenience.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

silentzora wrote:I'd love to, but there doesn't seem to be a link to the alpha build anymore. That seems to have been removed as of January 5 in favor of a beta build that has yet to be released, but I don't see any thread activity since January 6. I'll keep an eye on the project thread, and once there's a final release, I'll work on a patch for it (if required). Kinda curious to see it anyway, since it claims to use some of my music.
Good news.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

SiFi270 wrote:
silentzora wrote:I'd love to, but there doesn't seem to be a link to the alpha build anymore. That seems to have been removed as of January 5 in favor of a beta build that has yet to be released, but I don't see any thread activity since January 6. I'll keep an eye on the project thread, and once there's a final release, I'll work on a patch for it (if required). Kinda curious to see it anyway, since it claims to use some of my music.
Good news.
Just saw that myself. I'll give it a run and see what needs to be patched, then I'll work on that. Just bear in mind, I may have to update the patch later, once the final build of DotB is released. :)
silentzora

Re: Doomzone (v1.8.1 Out, DotB Patch Added)

Post by silentzora »

Doomzone v1.8.1 is released! This is only a minor release, only necessary if you want to use the mod with Dimension of the Boomed. Otherwise, it isn't necessary to download this update.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Download Doomzone v1.8.1
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I've noticed some major slowdowns when approaching certain ammo bundles; likely because the mod is sifting through all the possible permutations for said pickups, yet it can't give you the ammo because you're topped off, therefore you get massive slowdown unless yoh step away from these ammo pickups.

Possible solution: When playing solo, only have the ammo bundles pertaining to your chosen class show up, rather than stacking them all into one instance.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

silentzora wrote:Doomzone v1.8.1 is released!
You need to balance the volume of some sounds. For example, the sounds of falling shell casings and meat. Do not ignore the $limit command.
And it is desirable not to use the current system of steps. Footsteps sound as if someone is trampling on the behind. :D
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:I've noticed some major slowdowns when approaching certain ammo bundles; likely because the mod is sifting through all the possible permutations for said pickups, yet it can't give you the ammo because you're topped off, therefore you get massive slowdown unless yoh step away from these ammo pickups.

Possible solution: When playing solo, only have the ammo bundles pertaining to your chosen class show up, rather than stacking them all into one instance.
I may have to look into that suggestion, think it's doable. I think the only thing that I'm not sure how to accomplish is how to detect which player class is selected and spawn ammo accordingly.

It's a good idea, just need to figure out how to implement.
Doomenator wrote:
silentzora wrote:Doomzone v1.8.1 is released!
You need to balance the volume of some sounds. For example, the sounds of falling shell casings and meat. Do not ignore the $limit command.
And it is desirable not to use the current system of steps. Footsteps sound as if someone is trampling on the behind. :D
Can you be a little more clear on what would be a better implementation of this? Reason I've got the player actors spawning objects that create the footstep sounds is because I didn't want the player to be making footstep sounds in midair, for example.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

silentzora wrote:Can you be a little more clear on what would be a better implementation of this? Reason I've got the player actors spawning objects that create the footstep sounds is because I didn't want the player to be making footstep sounds in midair, for example.
I have no idea how to improve the current system of footsteps. I can only advise you to use the footsteps mod by the Zombie Killer. If there is no compatibility problem.
Evil Operative
Location: Inside a land where Walls and Decors are covered in Blood and Guts. (Brutal)

Post by Evil Operative »

Found another bug.

Classes spawn with no weapon selected upon beginning a game with the Doom Eater difficulty

Return to “Gameplay Mods”