HeXeReTiC Fantasy v3.1.1 (Update 27 Oct 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Re: [WIP] HeXeReTiC Fantasy v0.777

Post by Mánibranðr System »

Quick question, what map packs did you use as a testbed for development, and what map packs would you recommend we run this with?
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] HeXeReTiC Fantasy v0.777

Post by Hexereticdoom »

ArcheKruz wrote:Quick question, what map packs did you use as a testbed for development, and what map packs would you recommend we run this with?
Hello ArcheKruz, I just mainly use the Heretic base IWAD (SotSR version), and actually my preferred testing fields are some maps from Episode 2, specially E2M1 and E2M6.

And like I said in the addon's description, you can use it with any map pack, except those that makes big tweaks to the gameplay, monsters or weapons. There are several recommended ones like Heretic Treasure Chest, Call of the Apostate, Curse of D'sparil, Elf Gets Pissed, HYMN, History of Fruit, etc. And furthermore, you can also use the addon with auto-generated PWADs made with Oblige or Obhack. :winker:
Hexereticdoom

Re: [WIP] HeXeReTiC Fantasy v0.789 + HUD v0.1

Post by Hexereticdoom »

OK guys, new update is ready for being downloaded, including the new HeXeReTiC HUD as I promised! :D

Here is a small preview:

Check the first post for more info and getting the links... :wink:

Enjoy and have fun, everyone! 8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hmm, I'm getting a script warning and can't run this newest version on the lastest GZDoom SVN, last version ran fine.

Code: Select all

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:AMMO" line 15:
Icon 'INAMGLD' for '_GoldWandAmmo_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:AMMO" line 62:
Icon 'INAMBOW' for '_CrossbowAmmo_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:AMMO" line 107:
Icon 'INAMBST' for '_BlasterAmmo_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:AMMO" line 203:
Icon 'INAMRAM' for '_SkullRodAmmo_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:AMMO" line 299:
Icon 'INAMPNX' for '_PhoenixRodAmmo_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:AMMO" line 349:
Icon 'INAMLOB' for '_MaceAmmo_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:ARTIFACT" line 27:
Icon 'SHLDA0' for '_SilverShield_' not found

Script warning, "HEXERETIC_FANTASY_V0.789.WAD:ARTIFACT" line 44:
Icon 'SHD2A0' for '_EnchantedShield_' not found

script parsing took 147.14 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.

Execution could not continue.

R_InstallSprite: Sprite MNTR frame E is missing rotations
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

-Ghost- wrote:Hmm, I'm getting a script warning and can't run this newest version on the lastest GZDoom SVN, last version ran fine.
I see... It might be a temporal bug or glitch related to development releases, because latest stable versions of GZDoom (3.1.0 and 3.2.0) run the addon without any problem.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hmm, I'll try it with the official versions. I hadn't actually updated my SVN before that, so it was just odd that it worked for the last version of the mod but not this one.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Just a little announce for everyone: the addon is almost ready to abandon the WIP phase, and v1.0 is gonna be released very, very soon! :D

It has been a quite busy time for me lately, but near the 90% of the work is already completed, so expect easily a fresh release in a couple of days...

Until then, keep staying tuned mates! :wink:
Hexereticdoom

Re: HeXeReTiC Fantasy v1.0 + HUD (Updated 12 Nov 2017)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

OK dudes, stable version 1.0 is released and ready for download! :joker:

Check more details and get the updated links at the first post, as usual. And please don't forget reporting possible bugs and glitches, if you find any... :wink:

Enjoy and have fun, everyone! 8-)
Korell

Post by Korell »

If this is designed for use with the Heretic IWAD, then should I enable jumping or not? Only the base game didn't have jumping but you state in the description that Corvus III can pick up more health and ammo, run faster and jump higher than his memorable grandfather.

Oh, and having played through the first three levels on episode 1, there seems to be something off with the transparency on some pickups, as if it is a negative of the image. Here are two screenshots, the first showing an ice shard, the second showing an ogre mask pickup.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuJ5mA00BwgahH1UTxno6JAyo_wS
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuJ5mA00BwgahHxXgT1ZGe87j6Rp

Note that these screenshots are just two such examples. I've also seen this effect with the vitality crystal vial, defense crystal vial, some gems, median runes and the diamond turrets.

Lastly, is the vitality crystal vial meant to refill your health or just increase your max health by 5? Only it does both.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Korell wrote:If this is designed for use with the Heretic IWAD, then should I enable jumping or not? Only the base game didn't have jumping but you state in the description that Corvus III can pick up more health and ammo, run faster and jump higher than his memorable grandfather.
Well, that depends on the personal preferences of each player. Some users may prefer the jumping ability activated like in Hexen, and others may prefer act in 'classic Heretic' mode and not able to jump at all. So you can choose between those two options, and select the most suitable for you.
Korell wrote:Oh, and having played through the first three levels on episode 1, there seems to be something off with the transparency on some pickups, as if it is a negative of the image. Here are two screenshots, the first showing an ice shard, the second showing an ogre mask pickup.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuJ5mA00BwgahH1UTxno6JAyo_wS
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuJ5mA00BwgahHxXgT1ZGe87j6Rp

Note that these screenshots are just two such examples. I've also seen this effect with the vitality crystal vial, defense crystal vial, some gems, median runes and the diamond turrets.
I see... It seems it is necessary to view them correctly activating in GZDoom's OpenGL options one of the available Tonemap Modes. The fact is in my case I always have activated the Linear mode, and I haven't noticed before that all the addon items with the subtract renderstyle property are presented like blurred shadows, so sorry about it... :|

So please turn on one of the Tonemap Modes in OpenGL options, and the problem should get fixed.

Hmmm, perhaps I should include this extra warning in first post...
Korell wrote:Lastly, is the vitality crystal vial meant to refill your health or just increase your max health by 5? Only it does both.
The Vitality Crystal Vial acts in a similar way like the upgrading stamina items of Strife game, so it has a quite high utility in critical situations. In other words, yes, this item makes intentionally both things at once. :wink:
Korell

Post by Korell »

Hexereticdoom wrote:It seems it is necessary to view them correctly activating in GZDoom's OpenGL options one of the available Tonemap Modes. The fact is in my case I always have activated the Linear mode, and I haven't noticed before that all the addon items with the subtract renderstyle property are presented like blurred shadows, so sorry about it... :|

So please turn on one of the Tonemap Modes in OpenGL options, and the problem should get fixed.

Hmmm, perhaps I should include this extra warning in first post...
Ah, I see. I've never used the tonemap options before. I've just tried changing it and does make the sprites appear better, but it also changes the overall brightness. Is there any reason why the Subtract renderstyle is used instead of, say, the Translucent or SoulTrans renderstyles?

EDIT: Changing the tonemap doesn't fix everything. Some of the weapons, when they fire, the sparkle trails they leave behind are not correctly coloured (again appearing as negatives). For instance the wand that fires red projectiles leaves greenish sparkles behind the projectiles, and the one that fires the purple projectiles that summon allies leaves some kind of dark green after-image effect. As such, what I've now done is go through your WAD and replace all instances of Subtract with Translucent (the files affected are AMMO, ARTIFACT, DECOITEM, ENEMIES and WEAPONS). Now everything appears fine.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Disregard my concerns about getting errors, it took me this long to realize it works with Heretic only. :P Any plans to expand it to the other games?
Hexereticdoom

Re: HeXeReTiC Fantasy v1.0.1 + HUD (Updated 15 Nov 2017)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

OK mates, I have released some instants ago a bugfix version of H-Fantasy, for fixing those game elements previously rendered in subtractive mode and tweaked all of them to standard translucency (not additive), due to appearing as blurred shadows under certain GZDoom's display setup.

If you are experiencing those visual issues, please get the v1.0.1 release ASAP. (Special thanks to Korell for bug reporting and for his provided solution). :thumb:

More details and updated download links at first post!
-Ghost- wrote:Disregard my concerns about getting errors, it took me this long to realize it works with Heretic only. :P Any plans to expand it to the other games?
OK, do not worry... And yes, this addon is exclusive for Heretic, although a fragment of 'Hexen' word is included in the addon's title... :tongue:

Do you mean expanding the addon to Doom, Hexen and Strife? Ouch... I'm sorry, but that would mean LOTS of work and time, and it may be not worth it... (Anyway, if anyone else want to give it a try, he/she will have all my support).

Anyway, don't forget you have still available my other addon/mod for Doom, the H-Project... :wink:
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Sound STFCRK looks like a side effect in the form of crackling.
Spoiler:
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Doomenator wrote:Sound STFCRK looks like a side effect in the form of crackling.
Spoiler:
You're right... That's one of the remaining inherited features from COTIS addon base, and I already know it isn't a very nice sound... But no worries, it will be somewhat fixed for next release. :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”