[WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.7c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Someone64

Re: [WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.6i Alpha [BALANCE]

Post by Someone64 »

It seems the mod breaks some monsters that maps sometimes add. For example Doom 2 The Way id Did's dopefish enemy dies instantly on a shotgun blast and no longer causes the map to finish.
Asenji

Post by Asenji »

I've been really enjoying this mod lately especially with the new balance patch. All the problems I initially had with the mod have already been addressed (like tracers being an option which look really nice by the way!) so I'm very happy with the overall product. I do believe the SSG and rocket launcher could use beefier sounds (the rocket launcher could use some nice rocket trails, too) but the whole arsenal fits just right and each weapon feels great, especially the gorgeous pump-shotgun and chaingun. Can't wait for future additions!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am glad you are taking inspiration from BUTCHER, as I like the game's aesthetics and I think it deserves better than a 2D platformer.

Where is the mugshot coming from, though? And will the mod be made compatible with Ultimate Doom?
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

This gameplay wad is really amazing.

Really liked its graphics and pace, it really gives doom a nice Dark feeling, while making it fast-paced as fuck and the gameplay close to the original game.

Can't wait to see the further updates.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am having trouble figuring out how to make the best out of the Chaingun. It is surprisingly not as effective as I would have expected against groups of enemies, as it fires so fast it runs out of ammunition before I can be done with them.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, the chaingun definitely feels like the weakest of the weapons to me. SMG is good for taking out weaker enemies quickly, but the chaingun just doesn't really feel like it has a role. Maybe replace it with a higher damage assault rifle or something that hits hard but has a slower rate of fire than the SMG?
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I suppose the Chaingun with adjusted damage and rate of fire could do the trick.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I also feel the Kick is currently useless: its range seems shorter than it should be and as a result, I keep missing.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

If the gatling could be shooting while spinning up to max speed, and only the spin-down prevented shooting entirely, it would increase its effectiveness significantly. (and possibly be closer to how these guns work IRL - the initial non-shooting bit should only be to start getting rounds fed into the gun feed mechanism, not every time you pull the trigger)
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

Thanks all! The mugshot is from the original unfinished Stomper wad by NMN, and I'm assuming he sprited it himself.

Also, I really, really, really want to add in Ultimate Doom support for SDO, but I can't seem to manage to get GZDoom to play nice. When I try to boot Ultimate Doom up it crashes to desktop instantly with the error that I can't replace Doom 2 actors if they aren't even there. I might have to make a separate WAD or look at other gameplay mods to see how they handle this issue.
Someone64 wrote:It seems the mod breaks some monsters that maps sometimes add. For example Doom 2 The Way id Did's dopefish enemy dies instantly on a shotgun blast and no longer causes the map to finish.
That's weird... :| I'll look into that issue.

I'll give the kick a slight range increase on the next update, give it some test runs, see if I can add it in without it being Dark Messiah tier game-breaking. :)

Re: Gatling Gun: Its intended role is sort of the poor man's flamer: high stunlock and damage while ripping through ammo. The difference between it and the flamer is that bullets deal more damage and are more common to find through most levels than cells. Of course if you're speeding through the game with unlimited ammo, the flamer is superior in all but range.

However, it seems like the most common complaint about the gatling gun is that it doesn't do enough damage.

To be honest, I feel like the gatling gun is redundant, as there's already rapid fire weapons for both low-tier (SMG) and high-tier (flamer) enemies. Additionally, I always felt like the SSG ruined balance sometimes, so in a perfect world, I wouldn't even have the gatling or SSG in my mod to begin with. But alas, compatibility with levels...

As a compromise, I think in the next update I'll add a damage boost to the gatling's bullets. I would ideally like for bullets to do the same damage across the board for all weapons, but I feel like the rev-up time for the gatling balances out that fact.

I would love to have the gatling sort of sputter off rounds before it reaches full speed then have a cool-down time afterwards. That would require some sound design revisions, which I could totally accommodate.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

DoukDouk wrote:To be honest, I feel like the gatling gun is redundant, as there's already rapid fire weapons for both low-tier (SMG) and high-tier (flamer) enemies. Additionally, I always felt like the SSG ruined balance sometimes, so in a perfect world, I wouldn't even have the gatling or SSG in my mod to begin with. But alas, compatibility with levels...
Can you not just have your mod replace Chaingunners by Former Riflemen, Gatling Guns by SMGs and SSGs by Shotguns?

And regarding the SMG, perhaps you could reintroduce a pistol-type/semi-automatic rifle weapon in slot 1 and have the SMG replace the Gatling Gun altogether.
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

i muted that trailer no fence, but this mods fucking awesome

edit: im most clearly gonna need replay as i cant recall whenever it was 6i i played or earlier, cus of my severely long breaks from doom
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I think the SSG is fine. Honestly I'd say keep as many weapons as you can, because there's nothing more dull than running through a 32 level megawad with only like 4-5 weapons.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Messing around with things and such.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”