QC:DE v2.7 is out! (With 100% more Dusk Dude)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shadstarn

Re: QC:DE (New version released Apr-20th, pg1)

Post by shadstarn »

i love this!
now i will add arms to the guns and if i am allowed i will share it in the far future

can you make a monsterr only mod? i love the monsters! is i tpossible to make monsters this good?
why cant someone make doom enemies this way?

THANK YOU FINALLY A PROPPER QUAKE GAME

please someone start remaking doom with this 3d style enemies!
i will help you .. i can a little gun spriting!
i really would be passionate about remaking doom ... meaning doom 1 2 with these 3d model versions of the doom 1 2 enemies!
maybe we have a real doom game.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Actually, A separate monster pack would not be a bad Idea. Hell, we could use more alternatives other than Brawtwurst and shades of doom.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

insightguy wrote:Actually, A separate monster pack would not be a bad Idea. Hell, we could use more alternatives other than Brawtwurst and shades of doom.
ABSOLUTELY we could even have the whole cast of doom 1 2 appear in 3d! i mean this is AWESOME.. if someone makes it i am more then happy to lend my hands to help!
make a new doom experience the real one we have been waiting for ... with real doom monsters 3dish ... get some of the best mappers ...
i thought this was not possible because pixel 3d looked so bad.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Does anyone know what the hell Shadstarn is going on about?
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Gideon020 wrote:Does anyone know what the hell Shadstarn is going on about?
I think he wants to make a real doom 3d, with real doom monsters 3d. :biggrin:
SoundOfDarkness

Post by SoundOfDarkness »

Doomenator wrote:
Gideon020 wrote:Does anyone know what the hell Shadstarn is going on about?
I think he wants to make a real doom 3d, with real doom monsters 3d. :biggrin:
QCDE with 3D models would basically be Zanieon's "Hunter's Moon", which is theoratical "Quake 3: Doom Edition" for those who don't know. I think a collaboration or combination of both mods could be awesome. Choosing between HM or QCDE weapons and having 3D monsters from Quake 1, 2 and 4 plus the Doom 3 and Doom 2016 3D monsters from HM with the gore system of HM. Damn, I probably would never stop playing this. :D
This could be the high quality version of QCDE, in terms of graphics of course since everything else is already high quality.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

My PC can only hold so much graphics, Nasa would be pissed if I had to borrow their computers again/s

In all seriousness, a campaign may not be a bad Idea, but if one is to happen, can we have maps tailored to each character that you switch to rather than "LOL pick one and stick with one"? I like campaigns that change it around every so often.
Korell

Post by Korell »

I wouldn't be expecting a campaign with this mod. It's a gameplay mod, not a total conversion, and to build a whole set of maps for a campaign would be a lot of effort, especially so if there were then to be maps tailored to each of the characters (there are currently 15 characters - though they all have the same weapons apart from their ultimate ability, it's only their character traits, abilities, appearance and voice lines that differ really).

There may be some mappers who would create a campaign designed for QC:DE, but for now it may be best just to identify some map sets that work well with this mod.
Legend

Post by Legend »

I finally got around to giving this a good bit of time in Zandronum and it's really fun. I especially liked the single player with a combo of regular doom monsters and Doom 2016 monsters. (Any chance of that option for D4T?)

The bot play was pretty good too.

My only minor quibble is the sprite for the shotgun. It kinda sticks out as not as well done as all the other weapon sprites. No offense, but it reminds me of a nerf gun.

Is there any way to play in a quake 3 arena type of single player or plans to? As in sequential levels with bot match kinda like the original skulltag?
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Just gave it a twirl on a couple of wads. I tried Sunlust and CC4 ! CC4 is clearly a nogo, in the first maps there's already 2 "traps" that can nearly instakill you (well it's already not that fun in Doom anyway :P). I also tried Sunlust and it felt a bit more playable. However I feel like there's the same balancing issues as in D4T. The maps in Doom aren't anywhere near open enough to warrant the enemis shoot with such a high fire rate, with such high damage, and when the shot is a projectile, the projectile is too fast (this last one doesn't seem to affect Classic Doom monsters though)

As I said for D4T, I feel like in Doom 4, they were able to do it mostly because when you sidestep from one side to the other you instantly change direction, there's no slowing down and accelerating to the other side like in classic Doom. Also the maps are pretty much designed to be arenas, so they're very open, and designed to be moved around as you fight. Now I guess that could be countered by enabling crouching and jumping, but I don't like adding it for a gameplay mod if the maps don't warrant it.

However there's an even bigger problem than in D4T, and it's the damage the player deals. It's incredibly low compared to what the monsters do to you. A mancubus (or its Quake/Quake 2/Quake 4/Doom 2016 equivalent) all don't die from a direct BFG shot to the face that deals 500 :S I would expect that much from a cyberdemon or a spider mastermind, but not a mancubus ! And if I don't use the skill (no matter the character) I just go through 90% of my ammo. The base machinegun feels weak, but then it's upgraded to the heavy machinegun when you find it which is much better. And the Nailgun, when picked up, deals decent damage. But you just don't find enough ammo for it unfortunately. I assume all this was done to compensate for the fact you can just hide and wait for the skill's cooldown.

I'll make some suggestions, but I don't think they'll make it since it would mean tailoring the SP aspect of the mod for SP. But then again, someone could take it and modify it to make it SP only. So here are my suggestions :
-Make some weapons a little stronger or monsters overally less tanky (I guess the latter would be easier since it wouldn't affect the MP side of QCDE, which doesn't need any balance)
-Make the skill in SP not recharge over time, but over kills (OR over time/kills ala Overwatch, making the skills recharge over something like 120 seconds, but dropping 3-4 seconds for each kill ?)

However I feel like the mod is really great and could be enhanced with those. The MP side is really pretty much balanced and push towards skill and fast paced play, whereas the SP issues force you to side step behind cover, trying not to waste ammo and so on =/

But still as I say, I feel the mod is amazing ;) So good work and congrats on releasing it ^^
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Firstly, congratulations on another release of this great mod.

Is there a way to switch off the footstep sounds? My pedantry can't handle how walking in water sounds exactly the same as walking on dry land!

Bonus question: If there is a way to do that, is the same method viable for D4T?
DBThanatos

Re: QC:DE (New Champ Announcement, pg17)

Post by DBThanatos »

@SoundOfDarkness: It's not our intention to make it model based, as that's more Hunter's Moon thing, and besides, I really dont even know how to deal with 3d models :P

@Legend: Someone on discord was talking of making a Q3-like "campaign" where you fight tiered bots. Not sure if it'll be completed (or how possible it is)

@DevilBlackDeath: The suggestion for SP ability recharge is interesting indeed. I'll think about that. As far as the D4T monsters, here's something funny: testers kept saying that the monsters were too damn weak in our previous (internal) balance iteration. So we had to buff them to their current point. They sure are challenging, and I kinda like that some themes are harder than others, to make the gameplay a bit more varied theme by theme. If we could, i'd totally fix the acceleration thing you mentioned too. It does bother me even in DM.

@Hipnotic Rogue: They cant be turned off ATM. Maybe we'll add a toggle for SP/COOP, but most definitely not for DM as they're an integral part of it.

And for a little something of an annoucement...
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Neat, but I think Sarge's second passive should be something else when not in Deathmatch mode.
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

DBThanatos wrote:...
I also think that 3D is not a good idea. But why it was necessary to make additional sprites for ammo boxes. Static sprites look better. I really like how looks the sprite system in Quake III. :D
And fix this
Spoiler:
Last edited by Doomenator on Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Another one? What?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”