The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 13 11/14/2021 Options

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
retronutcase

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 12 3/5/2019 Rocket Poll

Post by retronutcase »

Just recently tried this mod, and I LOVE it. it feels like a good balance between the realism hideous destructor went for, and Doom's run and gun approach.

That said, one small thought I had: The player's backwards running speed. Should it be that fast? You argued running sideways doesn't work. One could argue running backwards at a sprinting pace doesn't really work either. Obviously you still need full forward run speed or a lot of maps could break, but I feel like backward run speed shouldn't be QUITE as fast, so as to discourage just being able to constantly run backwards while shooting. It would encourage more of an actual turning around to run away approach and trying to find a better position when you need to get out of somewhere fast.

Also, is there a reason one can't pump the shotgun when they've fired their last round? It's a bit irritating that I can't eject the last spent shell to allow for a full reload.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Really, the only reason strafe speed is lower is just cause it's a personal preference. I'm keeping backwards speed the same cause I don't want to stray too far from the Doom gameplay style.

As for shotgun pumping last shell stuff, that's been fixed in the WIP.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Great job on the weapon sprites in the WIP version, they're really coming along now.
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Something that's bugging me a bit: the AUG doesn't have a bolting animation when reloaded from empty, and it also doesn't get +1 round from reloading with a partial magazine.

EDIT: Also, when aiming down sights your crosshairs don't disappear. And the UMP with drum upgrade always gets 51 rounds, even when reloading from empty.
cwise103

Post by cwise103 »

This might be a stupid question, but how do you throw a grenade or melee in this. There is no option for it in options.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Slot 1 is melee, Weapon State 1 is for throwing grenades. Make sure it is bound.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 12 3/5/2019 WIP: Eternal

Post by Captain J »

Very impressive and speedy gameplay mod. The smooth animation is really neat and i love the balanced firepower going on with the weaponry. I actually almost lost with throwing grenade because i recently realized that my Weapon States keybinds were not defined yet. It's nice to see that mods are recently using Weapon State.
Spoiler: And now here are some feedback and suggestions i would like to share!
Good mod overall!
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Thank you for your feedback! A lot of your issues come from what one might call the half baked nature and WIP status of the mod, but let me address somethings directly.

Knife is actually up for a total rework, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Hand Grenades being able to teleport is 100% intended. Missiles can teleport too!
NLAW being a pain in the ass is getting looked at, at least while I'm looking at Soldier Z which isn't very often I'm afraid to admit.
Reloading at max is intended. You can't do it with shotguns cause its physically impossible to load them further.

Still I'm always glad to hear people are enjoying the mod!
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

Hey.

Check it out, after all this time, I finally have a NEW UPDATE!
Spoiler: Changelog
Boy where do I start with this one? uhh first make sure you check out the options for weapon spawns and starting pistol. That's right, its controlled by the options now!
Which means new weapons! And I plan on adding more in the future, too!
Shotguns now have THREE ammo types: Buckshot, Flechettes and Slugs!
and of course, the all the new sprites, sourced from models!

Thank you for your patience on this one. Part of why it took so long is a lot of features I had planned would have changed the mod dramatically, so I decided to just make it another mod instead to keep Soldier Z's gameplay relatively intact! that's what Feet On The Ground is. Then came Revenant stuff, Baron stuff, etc.

Anyway, keep me posted on bugs and feedback, and I'm also taking suggestions of what kind of guns YOU would like to see in the future!
RastaManGames

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 13 11/14/2021 Options

Post by RastaManGames »

Can i ask you to replace default GZDoom pistol pickup with small firearms clip?
I mean, i have monster pack, where zombiemans drops pistol after death and in your mod it seems kinda useless, 'cause this pistol is just default GZDoom weapon and it is even don't have SBARINFO ammo count.

Also, which name have sprite for empty dropped shells? I had funny bug with mentioned monster pack, where instead of them was one of the enemies.

P.S.: Also i experienced strange thing, while having both HE and FB nades. Even while using "Gear Selection GUI" & trying to throw HE nade only FB nade is throwing instead. I don't know, why, but seems that FB nades always have priority higher thatn HE ones and it even don't let me to throw HE instead in any way.
Last edited by RastaManGames on Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rodman909

Post by Rodman909 »

Playing this with Hell on Earth Starter Pack and Brutal Doom Monsters; I fucking love how insane explosive barrels are in this mod. A single barrel can turn an entire room full of enemies into charred gibs.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hey, are you still working on this? Looked like there were some updates late last year on the GitHub. Also just wanted to add this plays pretty well with the Project Malice monsters, gives it a nice tactical survivor horror feel.

The P90 is a good addition, nice balance between the longer reload and the higher capacity. I honestly think the only thing it's really missing is maybe a super shotgun of some sort and more equipment/gear.

Also as far as bugs go, this was probably reported before, but the aimpoint for the player is a little low and can cause you to hit chest high walls and such in front of you unless you aim high to go over, even though the crosshair clears the wall at a neutral position. There's also a weird sort of stuttery-ness to firing the G36, like it won't always shoot with every press of M1.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

This mod isn't like, canceled or anything like that, but I am not working on it at this time. I'm focused on 40K more than Doom modding right now, but I'll take a look at the G36C soonish.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”