The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 13 11/14/2021 Options

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 9 13/12/2017

Post by Accensus »

Can confirm that the ammo degradation after 75% is intentional.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Somagu wrote:I'm not sure this is something that can be fixed, since ammo boxes and shell boxes give more than one type of ammo, as they aren't a "normal" ammo pickup. Maybe someone can correct me as this is something that could use fixing in a few other mods, too.
This is fixable in a way that works even when you do have space for the other ammo types - spawn smaller pickups in the world for the ammo that can't be picked up. This is can even be used, for example, so you don't waste 3 shells when you can only pick one up.
And since this uses ZScript it's definitely doable. (Hell, there's Smart Scavenger, which does the latter bit for health and ammo, and that uses DECORATE.)
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Ah, yeah, I forgot about that alternative. Thanks.
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Brohnesorge »

Plasma drain is intended. The plasma rifle has poor heat shielding, so high heat damages its battery, causing your charge to drain. The higher the heat, the faster the drain. Hence why its MK0.6.

Somagu is also 100% correct about the ammo box thing. If there is a way to prevent it, I don't know it.

Edit: lots of replies while typing, damn
Brohnesorge

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 9.5 24/12/2017

Post by Brohnesorge »

Merry Christmas everybody! Well, its 1946 on Christmas Eve here but ITS CHRISTMAS SOMEWHERE DAMMIT!

Anyway, half update here. Nothing new was added, but lots of tweaks and sound stuff. Most importantly is the update to Mag Boxes and Shell Boxes: you won't pick them up while full on ammo anymore!

Code: Select all

--Melee
-Grenade throwing much faster

--DM51
-Pickup sound added
-Backpack now doubles capacity

--UMP45
-Chamber mechanics added
-Reload animation tweaked
-New firing sound
-Fixed a weird, barely visible visual bug in reload

--MP5K
-Reload slowed down very slightly
-New sounds

--Winchester Model 1912
-Reload slightly faster

--G36
-Changed magazine pickup sound

--LetterLetterNumberNumberSniperRifle
-Switching slightly faster

--SPAS-12
-New sounds

--Misc
-Shell Boxes and Mag Boxes are now 'smart' and won't be picked up if you are full on ammo
Brohnesorge

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 10 31/7/2018

Post by Brohnesorge »

*Picks up shoe*
Hello?

Yeah I know, an update. I've been working on this mod inbetween bouts of working on HoD - BARON and hammered out enough changes for me to justify a release!
Big things this update are the new healing mechanics, bullet mechanics and MBT LAW mechanics.

Gameplay
-Start off with one medikit. 
-All guns no longer fire hitscans. Instead, they fire fast projectiles with velocities based on the real world speed of the bullet.

UMP45
-Fixed bug where Power Upgrade would not increase accuracy of every other shot.

M9A3
-Updated HUD sprite
-Jam chance reduced
-Accuracy increased

Winchester Model 1918
-Pickups now give random amount of shells
-Spread greatly tightened
-Fixed bug where braced fire would ignore Upgrades

G36
-Pickups now give 1-2 magazines.
-Magazine capacity increased to 4/8.
-Utility Upgrade suppression effect greatly increased.

M249
-Greatly reduced spawn chance.

MBT LAW
-New use mechanics! Now pickups are added as inventory items. Using this item added the weapon to your Slot 5. You can carry 2 in your inventory at a time, for a total of 3 MBT LAWs total.
-Missile ignition speed greatly increased
-Updated explosion VFX
-Updated missile sprites

Sorcerer
-Speed Upgrade now effects passive cooldown
-Fixed bug where cooldown cap was 15% with Speed Upgrade

SPAS-12
-Pickups now give random amount of shells.
-Spread greatly tightened.

Archmage
-Manual cooldown cap lowered to 5%.
-Deselect speed increased.
-Charge time decreased.
-Ammo consumption reduced on main fire. Can now fire 3 shots with some power leftover.
-Tweaked explosion VFX

LLCoolJ12TheGun
-Greatly increased unscoped accuracy. Still not the ideal way to use it.
-Unscoped recoil greatly increased

Items
-Added missing backpack sound
-Item pickup sprites scaled down to "realistic" sizes
-Medikits now heal over time, instead of instantly. They heal 30 HP over the course of 15 seconds.
-Medikits can only be used one at a time.
-Medikits carry up to 4.

Misc
-Various VFX tweaked
-Tweaked Barrel VFX
-Key display is now by Health/Armor display
-HUD now displays name of weapon by ammo counter
The math behind the velocity of the bullets isn't super precise. I took the m/s speed of the bullet, converted it to Doom map units at a rate of 42 mu = 1 m then calculated the speed, which is mu/tick. The values were super high for the relatively small maps of Doom, even on slower bullets like the 9mm (457!) so I then I cut it by around 50%, so that the slower bullets lost their effectiveness at a range. It feels pretty comfortable and makes the M9A3 less of a laser pointer.

Shotgun spreads were decreased for one simple reason: realism. Shotguns do NOT have the ridiculous spread we see in video games. If they did, they wouldn't be effective at what they are often used for: hunting birds. Obviously, yada yada specialized guns/chokes/shells whatever, but work with me here.

Medikits were redesigned to force a more careful mode of play, as I and my friends would often just heal tank difficult battles with medikits instead of being careful and tactical as intended in the game. Now you can't do that, and must carefully approach battles and be thoughtful of your healing. You can't stack them either, so you can't Wolverine through battles. Stim packs are still instant heals.

BFG changes were to make it usable. Simple.

Finally, the MBT LAW changes. Simply put: Ease of use. It's a pain in the ass to only have one (1) missile to work with, then have to trek back to where you last saw a MBT to fire another one. I wouldn't use them ever because of this, even in situations where missiles are called for! So now you can have more then one and can quickly switch to a new one. Well..."quickly". It's still slower to handle but that's the nature of the mod.

Anyway, tactical gear is still coming, but I cannot give an ETA. This update was largely a fluke and I'm going back to focusing on HoD - BARON 100%. I'll still be around for bugfixes and I'm always interested in your feedback. Yeah, I still work on this mod, but it's purely a inbetween kind of thing.

Have fun!
Brohnesorge

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 11 9/12/2018

Post by Brohnesorge »

Ya'll mind if I sneak in this hot nasty UPDATE?!

Gameplay
-Two new sidearm classes added: Revolver and Sawn Off! The Revolver is a single action .44 Magnum. It's powerful, slow to reload and must be manually cycled. The Sawn Off is a break action double barrel that can use both buckshot and flechette rounds.
-Guns that have multiple fire modes IRL now have them in game. Use Weapon State 2 to switch firemode.
-Non-automatic weapons must now be manually cycled with Alt-Fire.
-New difficulty added: Hell or Hell? Heaven or Hell's damage rules with increased monster aggresiveness.
-Dodge Rolling is easier to perform and requires less minimum speed.
-Medikit healing mechanics updated. Can only carry two, but they heal much more. They heal more damage the more you are injured, but heal faster the healthier you are. Getting hit interupts the healing, so take cover. They heal a minimum of 25 HP.
-Weapon switching mechanics updated. All weapons now have the same amount of "put away" time, but have differing retrieval time based on the weight of the weapon.
-Grenade throwing faster overall.
-Various sounds added and changed.
-Various VFX updated.
-Barrel explosion damage increased.
-Upgrades are now smart. Will only spawn upgrades for weapons you already have, and will not spawn the same upgrade twice.

Knife
-Melee changed to knife.
-Main fire stabs, alt fire slashes. Slashing does more damage, but is slower.
-Forces pain, so can stun lock.

Sawn Off
-Sawn Off shotgun added.
-Main Fire shoots one barrel, Alt-Fire shoots both. Reload time lengthened when reloading both barrels.
-Switching firemode switches type of shell used.
-Uses ammo.

Ruger Super Blackhawk
-Revolver added.
-Main fire shoots, Alt-fire cycles.
-Reloads super slowly, but has unlimited ammo.
-Very high damage, difficult to use.

UMP45
-Firing sprites updated.
-Firemodes added: Automatic, 2-round burst and Semi-auto
-Accuracy increased.
-Recoil increased.
-Deselect speed greatly increased.

MP5K
-Firemodes added: Automatic and Semi-auto.
-Rate of Fire decreased slightly.
-Speed Upgrade effects switching speed.
-Deselect speed greatly increased.
-Accuracy increased.

M87 Marine Magnum
-M1918 is now the M87 Marine Magnum.
-Spread altered.
-Must be manually pumped with Alt-Fire.
-Power Upgrade changed to Tungsten Magnum Shells. Does more damage, and travels faster.
-Utility Upgrade changed to extended magazine tube.

SPAS-12
-Moved to Slot 3.
-Sprites tweaked.
-Fire modes added: Pump-action and Semi-Auto
-Must be manually pumped in pump action. Alt-Fire pumps.
-Semi auto mode can jam. Pump to clear.

Styer AUG
-G36 changed to the Styer AUG!
-Main fire shoots, Alt-Fire uses the scope.
-Slightly more accurate.
-Fire rate slightly less.
-Recoil reduced. Foregrips.
-Damage increased slightly to account for bullet fragmentation.
-Utility Upgrade changed to extended magazines.

HK23e
-Weapon drops do not yeild ammo. Must drop the gun for the new one.
-M249 changed to HK23e with underbarrel M203 Grenade Launcher. Realism be damned on this one.
-Main fire shoots. Alt-Fire shoots and reloads the GL.
-Has 3 firemodes: Automatic, 3-round burst and semi-auto.
-Grenades from the grenade launcher stronger than grenades thrown. Can be found with throwing grenades.
-Ammo capacity lowered to 100, and reloading actually animated.
-Spawn chance lowered.
-Damage increased slightly.

M72A4 LAW
-MBT LAW changed to M72A4 LAW.
-Carrying mechanics updated. Now you will no longer drop the slot completely when out. You can also prepare up to 3 LAWs at onces, switching them out when the last one is fired.
-Can carry up to 4 in reserve.
-Explosive damage slightly less.
-Explosive damage forced.
-Projectile speed greatly increased.
-Much faster handling.

Sorcerer
-Alt fire changed to explosive charge shot. Does grenade damage, but no frag. Uses a decent chunk of charge and generates large chunk of heat.
-Firemodes added: Normal, Scatter and Supression.
-Suppression mode generates little heat, uses little charge, and does little damage. Forces stun and has high RoF.
-Scatter mode does a shotgun blast of supression shots. Uses moderate charge and generates moderate heat.
-Utility upgrade updated: Focusing Lens. Turns all shots into hitscan lasers.

xxx420ProSniper1337NoScopexxx
-Unscoped accuracy increased.
-Recoil increased.
-Bolt must be manually pulled with Alt-Fire
-Weapon State 2 uses scope.
-Penetration increased.
Biggest changes are new side arms, manual handling of weapons and firemodes!

Make sure you map Weapon State 2! This is for switching Firemodes!

Any RoF changes are to be 100% accurate to the weapon. I got slightly better at making weapons so I was able to update them to actually fire like they are supposed to. Also, just for the record, cheating will give you the very incomplete and WIP Tactical Gear. It current does almost nothing it's supposed to, so don't use it, but just so you're aware if you cheat, you'll get it.

Manual cycling was added. Maaaaaybe I've been playing too much HD, but it feels really good and if you're skilled, you can get a much higher RoF than before on pumping and bolt action weapons.

Anyway, have fun and keep me posted on any issues, comments, concerns.
RikohZX

Re: The Soldier Z - WIP - Update 10 9/12/2018

Post by RikohZX »

One quirk with the manual cycling for the pump action shotguns is that if you empty your ammunition, you cannot cycle the last shell out and have to reload at least one in before you can cycle it and reload to full again.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

RikohZX wrote:One quirk with the manual cycling for the pump action shotguns (or at least the Remington) is that if you empty your ammunition, you cannot cycle the last shell out and have to reload at least one in before you can cycle it and reload to full again.
I've noticed the same issue for the SPAS. That aside, this update is extremely good and fun! Manual cycling feels great and snappy, and I looooove the revolver! It's a beast and I'm gonna be glued to revolver classes for good I think.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Maybe it's just me, but the newest update seemed to break the MBT LAW. If I pick one up, it says I have 0 shots and it won't bring up the sprite, except if I throw a grenade, then it suddenly pops up and lowers immediately.
Brohnesorge

Post by Brohnesorge »

RikohZX wrote:One quirk with the manual cycling for the pump action shotguns is that if you empty your ammunition, you cannot cycle the last shell out and have to reload at least one in before you can cycle it and reload to full again.
JimmyJ wrote: I've noticed the same issue for the SPAS. That aside, this update is extremely good and fun! Manual cycling feels great and snappy, and I looooove the revolver! It's a beast and I'm gonna be glued to revolver classes for good I think.
This is semi intentional, semi not. It was to save on having to do some extra lines and shit for casing spawning, and making sure if you pump while empty, then reload that you don't go to full + 1, etc. Chop it up to me being bad. It'll probably get fixed in the next update.

Also glad to hear you're enjoying the revolver! It was a favorite among testers, so I'm glad to see it well received in the wild.
DabbingSquidward wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the newest update seemed to break the MBT LAW. If I pick one up, it says I have 0 shots and it won't bring up the sprite, except if I throw a grenade, then it suddenly pops up and lowers immediately.
Not a bug. Well, it showing up briefly while throwing grenades is, but you have to "use" one that you have in reserve in inventory before it will actually show up and be ready to fire. This one is on me for not properly explaining the mechanic. I'll get in into the OP while I work on updating it over the week.

...there I updated the OP a bit.
Sensu_Kamen

Post by Sensu_Kamen »

Aw, i'll miss the fists, it'll be sad to see that i cant stunlock dudes with rapid punches.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

It was a long ass time since the last time i've played this mod, but, oh boy, it improved so much it almost feels another game. Weapons are responsive, fun to shoot, sound good, fire good and kill for good too. Thanks for this Mr Brohn. =)
will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

Sawn off doesn't really feel meaty enough, especially when it only has one fire sound which plays for when you shoot both barrels and one barrel. it'd be way better if it had some proper impact to it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Surprisingly fun! Kind of has a Rainbow Six feel to it with the various weapons. It's nice to have something more tactical but not to the extent of Hideous Destructor, either. The more gear and such you can add, the better!

One comment on the sidearms, I think I'd rather have the pistols be actual weapons with ammo, rather than qucikdraws with infinite ammo.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”