Highway To Hell v3 - End Of The Road

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: Highway To Hell v2.5 - High Voltage

Post by Endless123 »

:thumb: Holly cow man, your mod is fun even on vanilla Doom wads :D

Some weapons are a bit OP but i like OP weapons, that way i don't get killed as often as i use to :lol:

Keep up the good work :thumb: :rock:
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The new weapons are really nice. Though I do miss the old smg and its interesting "scope". Also I really think the axe needs an upgrade as in terms of damage the kick is quite similar even when berserked AND has a faster fire rate AND can be used when holding other weapons kinda giving you no reason to ever use the axe aside from it looks kinda cool.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Pretty cool mod. The weapons all feel pretty solid for the most part. There are a few things I took note of while playing.
  • If you kick someone while using the chaingun it will make chaingun shot sound.
  • The grenade's animation feels a little delayed to when you actually throw the grenade.
  • The shotgun cocking sound doesn't really match the sprites.
  • The shotgun's secondary function feels a little underwhelming. A flamethrower is cool and all, but something about it feels kinda meh.
  • The scope graphics for the railgun disappears for a moment after you shoot. Not sure if that's intentional or not, but it looks a little strange. Maybe instead of doing that, a bar displays the length of time it takes for the railgun to be ready to fire again.
Aside from those issues, I like this mod. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see what else you do with this mod.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Will casings be added like in other mods?
Black Rock Shooter

Post by Black Rock Shooter »

Jeimuzu73 wrote:Will casings be added like in other mods?
Aye Aye Sir, in V3 there'll be casings.
LoneDoomer17

Post by LoneDoomer17 »

So having got a chance to play the newest version, I like what I see:

• You've nerfed the plasma rifle's altfire (sadly :P), but I understand why. It was a tad broken. The new shotgun-like altfire is a bit more difficult to use then the primary but I can't argue with the result.

The new rocket launcher is great. It has the "oomph" one excepts from a Doom launcher and it hits like a freight train, great for taking out mancubi and the like.

You've noticeably re-balanced the HAR, and I think this is for the better. It's still got the all-rounder utility it had in V2, the primary fire just no longer melts hellknights in under thirty seconds, and the secondary is still great for small groups of knights and/or lone barons and mancubi.

Just curious, did you buff the shotgun? It feels like you buffed somehow.

That being said, I have some suggestions/criticisms:

• After testing out the new minigun, although I like it, even at a...generous description of medium range it's a bit to inaccurate at times. Now, I understand that's the point, it's an anti-horde weapon. However, even against a good sized horde of pinkies (or some variant thereof) it seems that a good bit of the shots miss even at short range. Combined with the rate at which it eats ammo, this leads to some serious ammo problems, especially on maps/WADS that like to throw hordes of smaller enemies at you, and only in a few cases did I not switch over to the HAR. I think maybe increasing the ammo limit for these two from the vanilla to something like 300/600 or 400/800 or something in that range would fix this. Like I said, I often found myself switching back to the HAR because the minigun just ate ammo I found I couldn't afford to waste, especially in harder WADS. I haven't tried with a slaughter WAD yet, though, so I can't speak to the efficacy of the minigun in those circumstances.

The grenade launcher still feels a bit weird. The primary fire still seems to be really weak for a pre-rocket launcher weapon, and it still seems to have difficulty with killing even imps or chaingunners quickly, and the equally low splash damage doesn't help this. Conversely, it feels like you both buffed and nerfed the altfire at the same time. The initial blast is now powerful enough to outright gib chaingunner variants and it seems the fire melts barons and mancubi even faster. This is balanced by the fact that the incendiary grenades now cost 4 ammo instead of 1, so it is harder to spam this fire mode compared to the last version. That's good, but it still means that I have the GL sit in my inventory until I have to quickly kill a horde of some manner.
Black Rock Shooter

Re: Highway To Hell v3 - End Of The Road

Final version of the mod is available now. Nice holidays to all of you guys.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Neat, wasn't expecting Heretic compatibility.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I really like this!
I would only say that chainguns, submachineguns, and pistols are about twice as effective while everything else is , more or less, the same ISH damage wise. it's sort of odd to not make them a little beefier as well.
Black Rock Shooter

Crudux Cruo wrote:I really like this!
I would only say that chainguns, submachineguns, and pistols are about twice as effective while everything else is , more or less, the same ISH damage wise. it's sort of odd to not make them a little beefier as well.
Actually, I've wanted to make the bullet based weapons a bit more effective, since their original counterparts felt a little bit "meh" so to say. I can try to make the other weapons a little beefier, but not much.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Some bugs: You can pick up small cells even when you're full on them and dropping the chainsaw doesn't stop the idle sound. You have to switch away to get it to stop.
Black Rock Shooter

Someone64 wrote:Some bugs: You can pick up small cells even when you're full on them and dropping the chainsaw doesn't stop the idle sound. You have to switch away to get it to stop.
Well, I just tested in both Zandronum/GZDoom (lastest versions), and the cell bug never happened in both of them. And about the chainsaw, I never coded it with the intention of dropping it. I'll see what I can do though.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

It could be a result of backpacks. Try picking up a backpack, filling up cell ammo, then picking up small cells.
Black Rock Shooter

Someone64 wrote:It could be a result of backpacks. Try picking up a backpack, filling up cell ammo, then picking up small cells.
Even with backpacks, the bug didn't happen in both Zandronum/GZDoom. It fills up just fine and the ammo system is the same since v1.
Lime

Post by Lime »

Not bad for a weapon mod. I have some things that I like about to say:
- The Spriting from the newest version has been a good run from some wads.

- Devastator and the Missile Launcher feels the same with the punchy and OP damage from how it goes.

- Sounds feels so right from how it shoots to the zombie's head.

- But everything is okay. I enjoyed playing it. doesnt feel much vanilla, more like mixed from the combination that has been shown in this mod.

EDIT:
- Fast Punching for CQC, is it okay for the primary instead of secondary attack button? and also, i checked the pk3 file, and the problem is the ssg sounds. doesn't sound much as the one in the pk3 because at the game, it plays regular vanilla ssg sounds.
Last edited by Lime on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”