Highway To Hell v3 - End Of The Road

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Black Rock Shooter

Highway To Hell v3 - End Of The Road

Post by Black Rock Shooter »

When people tell they are on the "Highway To Hell", they're usually are singing that famous old song by AC/DC of the same name.

But when Doomguy says it, he MEANS it. And he goes down ALL the way.

"Highway To Hell" is a weapon mod which doesn't escape the vanilla grasp while bringing nifty little surprises with each content. It resembles most "enhanced vanilla" mods such as “MetaDoom”, “Vanilla as Fuck”, “Flakes Doom”, just to name some.

The weapons are smooth, not overpowered (not to mention most of them have alt-fires) and they bring a familiar arcade-ish feeling. No such complex things such as reloads, enhanced monsters or latest generation effects. Just plain old rock 'n' roll.

GZDoom 2.3.0 and higher is required to play this mod. Also, it's compatible with Zan-Zan 3.0 (thanks for SoundOfDarkness for testing that).

This the final version of this mod. It was a good run guys, thanks for everything (but stay tuned for the next mods).

Screenshotties:
Spoiler:
Credits to people:
Spoiler:
If I forgot someone, I would like to ask you to send me a PM or leave a message on this thread. The corrections will be executed soon enough.

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u8Jcc ... S6rcNHCL4h

Some Recommended Wads To Play Around:

-TNT: Evilution;

-JPCP;

-Icarus: Alien Vanguard;

-Alien Vendetta;

-Kriegsland and Aracnocide Enemies Pack;

-Anything that's not Plutonia-like.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Black Rock Shooter on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 am, edited 10 times in total.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Highway To Hell v1 - Goin' Down The Fast Way

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Yaaaay! Keep it up man. Does it has any differences from the latest version you sent me?
Black Rock Shooter

GAA1992 wrote:Yaaaay! Keep it up man. Does it has any differences from the latest version you sent me?
Hey man, great to see you here boi. Not much, just the SSG doesn't have manual reload anymore.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

This mod is badass! Loving the everloving hell outta it. One little thing that bugged me though, is the heavy assault rifle. It feels way too weak as a rapid fire weapon. The gun pretty much never hits a target at any range other than close, and even then it seems to shoot around where I'm aiming. This wouldn't be so bad if it were stronger, or shot faster. Also the rocket pod as it's alt-fire feels way too strong. I was able to take out a hell knight in one burst of this bitch! So, unless this was intentional, maybe the damage should be lowered a smidge. Other than that, badass mod! Keep it up!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

to me this is both half good and half not too good. there definitely needs to be a lot of work done to it. Lot may be personal, but

+Axe impact noise doesnt feel like it fits at all
+chainsaw is cool sprite wise, but sound and animations are very meh
+Shotgun sprite is a bit ugly, but again thats personal. No indication visual wise too that it can, oh, be a flamethrower too
+Same with SSG, the base sprite is good, but the grip has a different colored wood, that and its a personal thing but maybe the secondary over the primary for it?
+The heavy rifle's primary is far, far, FAR too inaccurate. I never use the primary fire. That and the muzzle flash could use a bit of sprucing up for the initial frame
+The devastators look so slow and robotic, that and the missiles dont come out of the gun, and the weird overlapping sound effects from the D3 rocket launcher dont overlap well
+The plasma gun doesnt have much in term of a visual feedback for a kick, and the alt fire's push back kick again feels robotic
+Out of all the guns the BFG is the best, feels fantastic and definitely has good visual and oomph.

most of my complains are more about generally speaking, making things not feel sluggish and robotic. the gameplay part is pretty balanced, but a lot of this ends up coming off clunky, even tho compared to a lot of other first time gameplay mods, it definitely isnt clunky
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

If the rocket pod just shot one (or maybe even 2-3 but the entire animation was a bit slower), and the rifle were as accurate as the slot 2 whatchamacallit (and didn't blind you with that ridiculous muzzleflash), I think it would be a lot more useful and pleasant to use without being grossly OP.

One additional suggestion: can there be some visual feedback as to when the plasma and BFG are ready to fire? The cooldown just kinda felt like this arbitrary time that my left mouse button didn't work.

(Love that plasma altfire btw)
EVATestUnit

Post by EVATestUnit »

i think having some visual recoil for the SSG would be great because it sounds incredibly powerful but it just doesn't have that feeling of being powerful. i'm very excited to see what else you can do with this mod because it's pretty good
Black Rock Shooter

Re: Highway To Hell v2 - Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be

Updated HtH to V2 (finally), refer to the changelog to see what's new on the mod.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Surprisingly enjoyable. Especially that pistol. Got to map10 without skipping anything or cheating before I knew what was up.

Any hope of letting the player hold on to (alt)fire while reloading the SSG to shoot right away?

I'm finding the plasma rifle altfire to be superior to the BFG in every way. I can clear a big room full of baddies and kill a cyberdemon in 2 shots. While it's really satisfying to do so it does make me wonder if that kind of power was intentional.

(On the other end of things, the charge-up time on the railgun makes it completely useless for me compared to every other weapon - once I get a couple baddies lined up by the time it finishes charging they're not lined up anymore)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

It's much better than before, but I still have a few comments particularly regarding feedback and balance:
  • There's little reason to use the SMG once you pick up the HAR because the latter is more powerful and accurate, and has a multi-missile launcher. Not to mention the gun gives 60 ammo when dropped by chaingunners, which is too much for a pickup.
  • The SMG's alt-fire scope is kind of pointless since the gun still remains inaccurate when zoomed in.
  • The flamethrower alt-fire for the shotgun feels a bit lackluster compared to its primary fire, and it drains ammo. Maybe make it fire an incendiary shotgun blast like the Dragon's Breath upgrade in Project Brutality?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Or just reduce consumption. I have no complains so far. BRS had me playing this for hours using my aracnocide enemies pack. Glad to be a beta tester.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I suggest making it so the super shotgun reloads if you attempt to alt fire after already having primary fired once. Also, I think the extremely low consumption of bullets for the machine gun alt fire rockets (along with the fact that you get an AWFUL lot of bullets from picking up machine guns) and the fact that stim packs give a whole 15 health instead of 10 makes this mod a little OP for vanilla monsters.

EDIT: Kinda noticed that everything may be OP actually... I guess if that's what your going for then, whatever. Though I still suggest putting the health packs and stims back to vanilla levels.
Black Rock Shooter

First of all, thanks for the feedback guys, any kind of feedback is really appreciated. I'll be sure to fix the most urgent ones until the end of the weekend. But the Shotgun and the SSG will stay as they're now, since I like them as of now. And the Machine Gun will probably be replaced by a Chaingun on V3, but all in due time.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm all for the more powerful weapons so (plasma alt notwithstanding) I'm trying to avoid suggestions to nerf for any perceived "balance". (but the SMG is pretty useless and unsatisfying to use and frankly getting rid of it altogether might not be a bad idea)

Perhaps the shotgun altfire could send a flame continuously shooting out for a couple seconds on each shot?
Black Rock Shooter

Vaecrius wrote:I'm all for the more powerful weapons so (plasma alt notwithstanding) I'm trying to avoid suggestions to nerf for any perceived "balance". (but the SMG is pretty useless and unsatisfying to use and frankly getting rid of it altogether might not be a bad idea)

Perhaps the shotgun altfire could send a flame continuously shooting out for a couple seconds on each shot?
I'm fond of the flamethrower alt-fire, but I can reduce consumption and up it's damage. About the plasma rifle, I'll maybe remove it, dunno yet. The player shouldn't be able to 2-shot a cyberdemon. The BFG stay as it is.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”