Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v1.1 - The patch update (04/20/18)

Post by Cyanide »

dljosef wrote:There was also a chaingun minotaur sprite replacing the spider mastermind in Herian 2, last I remember.
Thanks, I'll take a look. :)
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

How about some Shadow Warrior Evil Ninjas for the next update?
Won't mind a Guardian either!
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

RedoLane wrote:How about some Shadow Warrior Evil Ninjas for the next update?
Won't mind a Guardian either!
I'll have to see how much the style of the sprites clash with the ones already in the mod. Some of the SW sprites look absolutely terrible IMO.
In any case: thanks for the suggestion. :) Hope you're having a blast.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

So probably that's why there are no Doom64 enemies in the mod :lol:
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

GAA1992 wrote:So probably that's why there are no Doom64 enemies in the mod :lol:
That's the exact reason. :) I also had some Duke 3D enemies at one point, but they really clash with the other monsters. I'd even say, that the FreeDoom monsters stick out a bit, but I can't be bothered to remove them now. :geek:
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Cyanide wrote:I'd even say, that the FreeDoom monsters stick out a bit, but I can't be bothered to remove them now. :geek:
You can just add to the settings the ability to disable different categories of monsters.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Doomenator wrote:
Cyanide wrote:I'd even say, that the FreeDoom monsters stick out a bit, but I can't be bothered to remove them now. :geek:
You can just add to the settings the ability to disable different categories of monsters.
Then I will have to make script changes to the way themes are chosen, which I don't really feel like doing. The scripting is complex enough as is (for me, that is.)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

For those who don't know, Mikk- has made a mod called Champions, which works with Shades of Doom. Give it a spin for maximum randomization! :D
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Just a heads up: the monsters from this pack don't seem to function properly with certain maps even if some other monster packs would. For example, on Kinsie's testing map all the monsters get aggro'd when you fire your weapon even if this doesn't happen for Beautiful Doom and a lot of monster encounters in Alfonzone don't happen when using this even if they do with others. Same with other maps like Doom 2 Redux's first map which has a room that has a teleporter which only activates if you kill all the monsters.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Someone64 wrote:Just a heads up: the monsters from this pack don't seem to function properly with certain maps even if some other monster packs would. For example, on Kinsie's testing map all the monsters get aggro'd when you fire your weapon even if this doesn't happen for Beautiful Doom and a lot of monster encounters in Alfonzone don't happen when using this even if they do with others. Same with other maps like Doom 2 Redux's first map which has a room that has a teleporter which only activates if you kill all the monsters.
I think it has to do with how Shades spawnes monsters. It will break scripted stuff, unfortunatly. Theres probably a ZScript way to fix the issue, but I don't have the know-how to fix it. :(

Thanks for the feedback, tho. :)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

So here's what's been happening with this mod lately:
It has become apparent that many members of the ZDoom forums like Doom Roguelike Arsenal. Shades, in its current version, has some sprite names that conflict with that mod, but I can't seem to find any other problems beyond that. Now, I can't live with Shades not working properly with such a great and popular mod, so I'm gonna have to fix that. I'm also gonna look into compatibility patches for:
  1. Doom Star
  2. Life Force
  3. Nun with a Gun
  4. Project MSX
  5. Ratchet Doom
Now, this is all fine and dandy, but I can't get myself to release an update without additional enemies. That would just feel... wrong. I'm currently looking through a bunch of resources to find some more cannon fodder for you guys.

I can't set a release date yet, as I'm pretty busy with work and personal stuff.
As always suggestions are welcome both here and via PM's, so hit me up if you've got something on your mind!
Thanks for playing, my dudes. :D
- Cyanide
2's a party

Post by 2's a party »

I love this mod, however I have a problem in chaos mode. The pain elemental does not spawn in chaos mod for whatever reason. Is there a fix perhaps?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

2's a party wrote:I love this mod, however I have a problem in chaos mode. The pain elemental does not spawn in chaos mod for whatever reason. Is there a fix perhaps?
This is fixed in the next update. Found the problem by accident while doing some Super Secret StuffTM.
Stay tuned, I'm working on the next version as we speak. :)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Would that secret stuff happen to pertain the weapons version of Shades of Doom?!
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Whoah wrote:Would that secret stuff happen to pertain the weapons version of Shades of Doom?!
Unfortunatly, no. :(
I do know that someone else is working on a project similar to Shades of Death (a working title for my weapon mod). It was mentioned in one of the ZDoom Discord rooms, me thinks. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”