Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Re: Shades of Doom v1.2 - More, more, more!!! (05/20/18)

Post by Cyanide »

GAA1992 wrote:I don't want to speak by wildweasel and horrormovieguy, but Bratwurst and WW-Nazis have the most consistent sets. Kriegsland also have many variants of nazis, although not inclined to the almost cartoonish Wolf3D style.
I'll rifle through them and get in touch with the authors if I find anything I'd like to use. Thanks a lot. :D
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Wolfenstein Infinity, Wolfendoom, and various Wolf3D TCs also have some really good sprites too. For Wolfenstein Infinity in particular, there's a knife wielding mutant, which could be a really cool pinky or imp replacement for example
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Whoah wrote:Wolfenstein Infinity, Wolfendoom, and various Wolf3D TCs also have some really good sprites too. For Wolfenstein Infinity in particular, there's a knife wielding mutant, which could be a really cool pinky or imp replacement for example
Cool. I'll check those as well. Thanks. :)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Hi guys. :D
Here's some stuff that's been going on:

I've decided to remove the forced themes. It's too much of a hassle for me to build on and maintain. This does NOT mean that the themes can't roll anymore, they just can't be FORCED to roll. Now, this happens very rarely, so I'm going to keep the messages, and possibly add some more.

I'm going to change the names of all the sprites in the mod. The way I'm going to name them should (hopefully) reduce the amount of conflicts with other mods. It should also make it a lot easier for me to add in additional monsters. Right now I've found 25 additions to the roster. That number WILL increase.

On a final, totally epic note: Legendoom is now compatible with Shades of Doom. Big thanks to Yholl for making this happen! I think Legendoom has been compatible for a while now, I just didn't realise it until now.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

How difficult is it to make a custom theme? Is there a guide to doing so?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

blackfish wrote:How difficult is it to make a custom theme? Is there a guide to doing so?
It's a bit of a hassle. You'll have to find out which number corrosponds to the monsters you want to spawn, possibly make some arrays if more monsters of the same type is elligable and then make a bunch of changes and additions to the main script.

In the next version I'm changing most of the global ints to CVARs and I'm removing some theme-related stuff. By then the process will be a lot different.
DaBowz

Post by DaBowz »

I need those faceless Imp sprites so bad, know where you found them?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

DaBowz wrote:I need those faceless Imp sprites so bad, know where you found them?
You can check the Roster in the options to see the credits for each monster in the mod. That should answer your question.

In other news: I am finally back from a busy stay school period, and have begun work on this mod again. I'm in the process of getting permissions to use sprites and sounds for the new monster additions, as well as stuffing more monsters into the mod. I'm going back to see if earlier suggestions would fit now, as I've shifted away from the theme-oriented approach to this mod. In the words of Yngwie: "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more!"

Also, if you want buckets of blood, check out Nashgore VE. It works with Shades of Doom and takes bloodcolor into account. Great stuff!
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

before i report a bug wanna suggest a set of monsters-Avactor and preacher
some caco types gets paired-watcher-demon wizard-rot wraith-caco lich-xenodemon
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Gorec wrote:before i report a bug wanna suggest a set of monsters-Avactor and preacher
I've asked the creator of Avactor permission to use the sprites. There's a lot of the monster sprites I like. Nice find, my man! :)
I'm having trouble finding the preacher you've mentioned. Do you have a link to the sprites or wad it's featured in?
Gorec wrote:some caco types gets paired-watcher-demon wizard-rot wraith-caco lich-xenodemon
It's fixed in the next release. Dunno how I missed that. :( Thanks for the report.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

I'm having trouble finding the preacher you've mentioned. Do you have a link to the sprites or wad it's featured in?
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... r/preacher
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Thanks. Just wrote the author. Good find as well. :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looking through the roster, a few credit adjustments need to be made I think.

Zombie guard, sergeant spread fire soldier, heavy uzi guy: sprite is based on the Strife player/Front Soldier/Macil uniform (sergeant commander too, but this one is properly credited to Rogue)
Sergeant mage gunner: sprite includes obvious bits of Raven Software sprites (disciple of D'Sparil hood and shoulders)
Imp abomination: the sprites originally came from https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/graphics/impyimp so credits should be given to "D.E.A.D." or "Damien Daurio".
Lost soul terror: menu bugs out
Cacodemon aracnorb: credits are garbled
Cacodemon cacolich: I believe the sprites were made by Vader, who doesn't appear (I see a comma after the credit to Tormentor667, so it's possible he's actually listed last and not displayed because there's only two lines)
Knight Doom 3 Hell Knight: pretty sure the spelling is "Death Foretold"
Mancubus vore: the sprites were made by NMN
Archvile diabolist: "diabloist" is a typo, you know?

Also most Freedoom credits could be more precisely credited I think. Imp serpent, and cacodemon orb monster are by raymoohawk. Cyberdemon assault tripod is from Urric and edited by raymoohawk. The demon slime worm is by Fredrik.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Gez wrote:...credit adjustments...
Will fix right away. Thanks a lot!
Darch

Post by Darch »

Hey Cyanide, you can use sprites from Preacher, no problem. Sorry to answer here, apparently I can't reply inbox messages with this new account :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”