Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
shadstarn

Re: Shades of Doom v1.2 - More, more, more!!! (05/20/18)

Post by shadstarn »

Cyanide wrote:
shadstarn wrote:you wont do it or is it not possible to do that at all?
Jesus f... I've answered your question before!
jesus is not available

also okay thank you its been a while ... i appologize.

i never remember the strange names so i always forget also waht they contain but as you know now atleast there is one person here who would love options and i for one would love that option if you ever consider it you know i be very happy! :D
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I'm looking forward to whatever monsters and other stuff you'll add next. Well, I'll wait however long it takes. (The champions thing would definitely work great with this as well, especially in chaos mode.)

I, unlike shadstarn, would think the de-randomization option would be a bad idea, by the way. I like the randomization nature.
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

dljosef wrote:I'm looking forward to whatever monsters and other stuff you'll add next. Well, I'll wait however long it takes. (The champions thing would definitely work great with this as well, especially in chaos mode.)

I, unlike shadstarn, would think the de-randomization option would be a bad idea, by the way. I like the randomization nature.
isnt it possible for a mod to have both? or should maybe someone make a separate mod... with choice for choosing your sett of enemies?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

shadstarn wrote:isnt it possible for a mod to have both? or should maybe someone make a separate mod... with choice for choosing your sett of enemies?
Take it somewhere else, shadstarn.
0mrcynic0
Location: The corner of "screw off" and "none of your business."

Post by 0mrcynic0 »

shadstarn wrote:
isnt it possible for a mod to have both? or should maybe someone make a separate mod... with choice for choosing your sett of enemies?
I don't know if you're just a total idiot or a troll that's trying too hard...stop annoying people with your ridiculous requests.

Moving on...

I'm also curious as to what kind of enemies will be added next if ever. This mod is a nice alternative to Colorful Hell.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

dljosef wrote:I'm looking forward to whatever monsters and other stuff you'll add next.
0mrcynic0 wrote:I'm also curious as to what kind of enemies will be added next if ever.
I'll add more. I'm currently looking through some more Strife enemies, where at least some of them could be added.
I would like to find more resources to expand the beastiary, but they have to match the visual style of the other monsters in Shades. And that's the hard part. :)

I've been focusing more on making compatibility patches for weapon mods lately. I have no idea if people actually use them, since Google Drive doesn't let me monitor the download amount. Maybe I should poll it on the OP?
In any case, making the patches is quite tiresome, and I don't know how many more I'm going to make. At this point I'm just waiting for Guncaster 3.0 to release, so I can start working on a patch for that.

As far as other stuff, I think the mod is feature complete. Of course a rewrite to ZScript would be great, but I simply don't have the time to learn it (right now, that is). Ideas and thoughts are still welcome. :D

In any case, I'm happy to know people play and enjoy Shades of Doom. :D
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

With Chaos Mode, the plethora of similar-but-different-in-feel enemies lends unpredictability to a game, especially when picking a level pack you're unfamiliar with. You know there's a creature there, but you're unsure of what caste it is and how hard it will attack, especially when you're starting out. This changes your tactics. Chaos Mode is great for keeping you on your toes. And since it approximates vanilla play, there's no actual balancing issue except for the lack of insight into what you're beholding.

Another thought I came up with is that there might actually be infighting within "vanilla castes". By that, I mean the bloody-looking cacodemon palette-swapped blood-spitting thing can toss blood and hit a regular cacodemon that it's patterned after, and let the fun begin! That might take the edge off of Chaos Mode, but it might require setting an option so to shut it off if things get too easy.

What if you combine Chaos Mode with the Demon Counterstrike Mod? I bet that would fly straight into crazy-land!

It's a good wad. Very good wad. Most wads want to make the new creatures arrogantly outperform the originals until you are forced to resort to some terrible and frustrating strategies just to survive, while at the same time, nobody ever does an Item randomizer WAD where Medikits could heal for full and stimpacks up to 40 points just to keep up with the new blood. This wad, though? It takes those monster variants and puts them at the same footing as the rest. At least make that consistent.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Neophyte_Ronin wrote:Another thought I came up with is that there might actually be infighting within "vanilla castes". By that, I mean the bloody-looking cacodemon palette-swapped blood-spitting thing can toss blood and hit a regular cacodemon that it's patterned after, and let the fun begin! That might take the edge off of Chaos Mode, but it might require setting an option so to shut it off if things get too easy.
Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. First of all, Shades is meant to be close to a simple skin replacer with minimal changes to gameplay. I think allowing interspecies infighting would result in to much of a balance change to the point of breaking maps (slaughter maps in particular). Second of all, I don't know how to implement an option to allow it. I'm guessing a script that adds +DOHARMSPECIES to all added enemies.
Neophyte_Ronin wrote:What if you combine Chaos Mode with the Demon Counterstrike Mod? I bet that would fly straight into crazy-land!
If Shades and Demon Counterstrike are compatible, Chaos mode would surely be... well... chaotic. :)
Neophyte_Ronin wrote:Kind words
Thanks dude. Glad you're having fun. :mrgreen:
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Still love the shit outta this mod, but I have a small suggestion. Do you think there'd be a way to see which variants of certain monsters are active? So when I lock the current variants, I know which monsters are which? I don't know exactly how this would work, and I totally get it if this would be too difficult to implement
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Whoah wrote:Do you think there'd be a way to see which variants of certain monsters are active? So when I lock the current variants, I know which monsters are which? I don't know exactly how this would work, and I totally get it if this would be too difficult to implement
If you switch on Debug Mode, it gives a list of the numbers the mod generates. 0 is the original enemy, so if you look in the Roster you should be able to find out which variants have been chosen.
With that said, I can try to make Debug Mode give the monster names instead of a number. :)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Oh! Didn't know that was a thing! Yeh, names would be handy, but numbers should work fine
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I think infighting does happen between the same species in chaos mode. Seemingly not all types of the same kind of enemy do this but some do which can make the game easier.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Someone64 wrote:I think infighting does happen between the same species in chaos mode. Seemingly not all types of the same kind of enemy do this but some do which can make the game easier.
The different kind of Zombiemen, Shotgunners, Heavies and Souls will infight with their own variants. This is in line with Vanilla Doom, as Zombiemen, Shotgunners, Heavies and Souls can infight with their own species.

If anyone has noticed "non-Vanilla infighting" I would really like to know which enemies does, cause that's just not right... :)
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

defiler explodes faster than other pain elementals
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Gorec wrote:defiler explodes faster than other pain elementals
I'll fix that. :) Thanks.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”