Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Shades of Doom v3.0 - Off the chart (02/02/20)

Post by BradmanX »

Cyanide wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:Did you try playing it with Guncaster?
I tested it with this a while ago. Dunno if it still works, but it did back then. Guncaster is not my cup of tea (no disrespect), so I haven't done any testing since then.
Should still work as long as you're loading the most recent versions of both Guncaster and the adapter.
zenlikecreature

Post by zenlikecreature »

How to exclude specific monsters from spawning from randomized roster?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

zenlikecreature wrote:How to exclude specific monsters from spawning from randomized roster?
That's not possible without editing the mod. I recently posted a guide for doing exactly this.
Dr. Lugawi

Post by Dr. Lugawi »

This is probably a stupid question but, is this mod a cosmetic monster replacer or does actually change the gameplay
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

Dr. Lugawi wrote:This is probably a stupid question but, is this mod a cosmetic monster replacer or does actually change the gameplay
All changes with the custom enemies are aesthetic. Things like sprites, sounds, visual effects, etc. Mechanically they're exactly the same as the enemies they replace.
Dr. Lugawi

Post by Dr. Lugawi »

BradmanX wrote:
Dr. Lugawi wrote:This is probably a stupid question but, is this mod a cosmetic monster replacer or does actually change the gameplay
All changes with the custom enemies are aesthetic, sprites, sounds, visual effects, etc. Mechanically they're exactly the same as the enemies they replace.
Thank you for answering my question.
AstartesCitizen
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by AstartesCitizen »

My favorite monster replacer for over two years, and it keeps getting updates, seriously this screams Variety is the Spice of Life and its swell
bumfight

Post by bumfight »

Amazing mod
Choosing monsters feature is great
Can you maybe add a melee centric pistol zombie that goes well with the biohorror aesthetic with some of the monsters already in?
That would be amazing
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

AstartesCitizen wrote:My favorite monster replacer for over two years, and it keeps getting updates, seriously this screams Variety is the Spice of Life and its swell
Thanks for the kind words! I've been through a bit of a burn out, but posts like this keeps me going. It means a lot. :)
bumfight wrote:Amazing mod
Choosing monsters feature is great
Can you maybe add a melee centric pistol zombie that goes well with the biohorror aesthetic with some of the monsters already in?
That would be amazing
Thank you as well! :)
I don't think i quite understand what you mean by "melee centric pistol zombie". I strive to make every variant work exactly like their respective archetype, so adding a zombieman variant with a melee attack is out of the scope of this mod.
Also, I did not make any of the monsters in the mod, I just added them. You can post an image of a monster, or link to one and I'll give it a look. :)

On a general note: I'm working on the next version, but this one is going to take a while to make. I'm not quite ready to tease any new content, but I'll probably post something down the line. As always, suggestions & bug reports are welcome!

But please don't suggest full customization of the roster. I know you want it. I know I want it. I don't know how to code it. :(
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

Cyanide wrote:Thanks for the kind words! I've been through a bit of a burn out, but posts like this keeps me going.
If that's the case, let me add my two cents: SoD is absolutely great, it's still among my top favourites and I've probably used it more than any other monster mod.

So there :D

But I'd remove the Xenomorph from it. Its place is in the Aliens TCs imo. But that's just me and it's just one monster type! I think I love everything else.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Yebudoom wrote:
Cyanide wrote:Thanks for the kind words! I've been through a bit of a burn out, but posts like this keeps me going.
If that's the case, let me add my two cents: SoD is absolutely great, it's still among my top favourites and I've probably used it more than any other monster mod.
Thank you too. :)

I'm grinding away at the next version. As said before, it will take a while, but I'm getting into a good rutine of getting some stuff done every day. I've found, that setting a very achievable goal results in more stuff done, than if I set the bar too high.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

Cyanide wrote:Thank you too. :)

I'm grinding away at the next version. As said before, it will take a while, but I'm getting into a good rutine of getting some stuff done every day. I've found, that setting a very achievable goal results in more stuff done, than if I set the bar too high.
Don't mention it.

It's good to hear that you've found a good cartain pace when working on SoD. Take your time.

Would you consider introducing presets for the mod? This could work as a shortcut for manually choosing monsters in Monster Selector mode. The presets could be, for instance, 'Primal', 'Cyberized', 'Medieval' etc. and would include the whole roster done in a certain vein, like the above mentioned examples. I think you could say you already have something like this in the mod, namely the Lost Soul/Elemental presets in the Selector.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Yebudoom wrote:Would you consider introducing presets for the mod? This could work as a shortcut for manually choosing monsters in Monster Selector mode. The presets could be, for instance, 'Primal', 'Cyberized', 'Medieval' etc. and would include the whole roster done in a certain vein, like the above mentioned examples. I think you could say you already have something like this in the mod, namely the Lost Soul/Elemental presets in the Selector.
I've actually toyed around with this idea, but never actually tried it out, since in older versions the Theme feature (which is kinda the same thing) was absolutely awful to maintain.
With the monster selector, this might be a little less annoying to maintain, so I'll give it a go at some point.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Installing this mod is bit akward, since I need to reference the correct order of addons on the original forum post, otherwise its easy to make the mistake of loading them out of order. Could you rename the files so that they'd have a number as their first character in their filenames? Like this:

Code: Select all

Path=$PROGDIR/MD/ADD/Shades of Doom/1ShadesV3.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/MD/ADD/Shades of Doom/2SoD_Keen.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/MD/ADD/Shades of Doom/3SoD_SS.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/MD/ADD/Shades of Doom/4SoD_Gore.pk3
Path=$PROGDIR/MD/ADD/Shades of Doom/5SoDStlth.pk3
(^this is what I have in my gzdoom-username.ini. I have a MD folder for mods, that has an ADD folder for Addons/Monster-replacers)
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Spaceman333 wrote:Could you rename the files so that they'd have a number as their first character in their filenames?
Sure. That's an easy fix. I'll do that for the next release.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”