DarkDoomZ [Finished]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DarkDoomZ [Finished]

Postby ClessxAlghazanth » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:40 am

Rachael wrote:Spotlights do not work properly in GLES - period. I don't know what could or should be done about it, though.

I've noticed these commits on github

https://github.com/emileb/gzdoom/commits/master

Any chance these will be implemented in next stable release ?
ClessxAlghazanth

Postby Pa9an » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 am

EDIT:
Even if it eventually turned out not to be related to DDZ...
The issue was that for weapons with a muzzle the brightmap of that muzzle was shown on a different part of the screen than the weapon itself.

When I installed DDZ, I had not played Doom for a while and in the meantime also updated GZDoom to 4.7.0. Which is why I first accused DDZ, then GZDoom - and eventually found that the brightmap file perk_enhanced_brightmaps.pk3 that I had installed for perk_enhanced.pk3 (Smooth Weapon Enhanced) caused the issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pa9an on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pa9an

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:28 am

That looks like it is showing a brightmap image instead of the actual muzzle flash sprite.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 am

I know Xim's Doom 3 features a version of DarkDoomZ that alerts the enemies when you shine a light on them.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:28 am

Pa9an wrote:[deleted, no longer valid, my bad, sorry]

Please don't do that. It makes any posts that respond to your one make no sense and breaks up the conversation.
Enjay

Postby Pa9an » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:05 pm

Enjay wrote:
Pa9an wrote:[deleted, no longer valid, my bad, sorry]

Please don't do that. It makes any posts that respond to your one make no sense and breaks up the conversation.

Sorry, I found it more confusing mentioning an issue that in the end had nothing to do at all with DDZ... :oops:
Do you think I still should put it back in to render your reply meaningful again?
Pa9an

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Given that the post itself wasn't that important to the topic under discussion, it's probably not worth it (though there would be no harm if you still have the pic and know what you said). As a general rule, however, we just prefer people to post again to say "never mind, I solved by [explanation]" (or add that to the original post they made - without blanking anything) or something along those lines, and leave the conversation intact so that it's easier to follow.

It's particularly bad when someone raises a genuine problem, there is a bit of discussion about it, the original poster eventually gets it sorted and then blanks their post. This means that someone with the same issue is much less likely to find the problem and/or solution by searching the forum.
Enjay

Postby Xim » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:56 pm

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I know Xim's Doom 3 features a version of DarkDoomZ that alerts the enemies when you shine a light on them.

I'll admit that I did that by mostly following what Enjay and Caligari87 showed off on the other page. Pretty simple addition. Also gave me the idea for some other tricks, such as limited battery life for the flashlight.

But the alert actually works as if you were firing a weapon constantly, rather than directly where the light is.
Xim

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods