DarkDoomZ v1.10 [idgames]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: DarkDoomZ (custom darkness + flashlight)

Post by Caligari87 »

Yeah, click sounds have been in for a while actually.

8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

New DarkDoomZ Release, v1.8!

Release Notes and Download

This release removes the "Custom" fine-tune adjustment under advanced options, in favor of two slightly more robust options:
  • Pre-Gain : Adjusts the light level up or down before applying the preset curve adjustment.
  • Post-Gain : Adjusts the light level up or down after applying the preset curve adjustment.
Note these are advanced options and may not interact with the lighting modes in obvious ways, so some care and experimentation is required. If you find yourself getting inconsistent or undesired results, reset both ddz_pregain and ddz_postgain CVars to zero. Note that this release no longer uses ddz_custom so this CVar may be safely removed from your GZDoom config if desired.

Example: I was recently playing the "Darkmoon" levelset, and decided the levels were too dark and lacked sufficient contrast to look visually interesting to me. I used the "Crush" mode with a preset of "Murky" to increase the overall contrast of the light levels, and then applied a Pre-Gain of 72. This had the net effect of making some bright areas brighter while most dark areas stayed the same or got only slightly darker.

8-)
Klavito

Post by Klavito »

Hello. First, thank you for creating the mod.

However, I cant seem to use it. Flash light doesnt work how it should. When I turn it on, the light is a circle around Doomguy. I use LZDoom (LZDoom is supposed to support until 3.9.0 gzdoom). I've tried to use both the oldest and the newest version of Darkdoomz and the same happens.

Is there a way for me to fix this?
Klavito

Post by Klavito »

I also tried using the 1.4 Darkdoomz version with GZDoom 3.6.0, which didnt exist when DDz 1.4 was released, and it still doesnt work. Would it be something in my configuration that doesnt allow it to work?

Also (x2) when I load the launcher with DDz, the console doesn't seem to have any problem. No text about having an out dated version of GZDoom/LZDoom nor error in in the whole launch of the program. It just loads DDz with no problem.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm not sure on these issues. For LZDoom, it sounds like spotlights are not supported and are defaulting to normal dynamic lights. For older versions of GZDoom, it's entirely possible I used features from later versions but forgot to upgrade the minimum requirement.

Unfortunately I am not planning on supporting either LZDoom or older versions of GZDoom; I have little time for modding as-is, much less legacy engine support. However, if someone else finds a solution to make it work for these versions, I will accept code submissions.

8-)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

You don't need to support anything, it runs fine on LZDoom. Must be a graphics driver bug.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

As someone who uses LZDoom, i can confirm that it works fine. Try deleting your ini file (don't worry, all this really does is reset your settings/keybinds), see if the problem persists.
Klavito

Post by Klavito »

Tartlman wrote:As someone who uses LZDoom, i can confirm that it works fine. Try deleting your ini file (don't worry, all this really does is reset your settings/keybinds), see if the problem persists.
Done, but the problem still persists.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But are you actually using the OpenGL (hardware) renderer?
Klavito

Post by Klavito »

drfrag wrote:But are you actually using the OpenGL (hardware) renderer?
Do you mean where it says hardware acceleration"?
If it is, yes, I have the option "opengl-accelerated".
Klavito

Post by Klavito »

Also dynamic light are enable, and they work with other wads and mods that have them, including the ones quite overloaded with them like Extermination Day, works. However, only flashlight mods like Steve's Flashlight and this one doesnt seem to work. I know they must be different lighting systems, but maybe the info might be useful.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

DarkDoomZ and Steve's Flashlight use basically the same features. It definitely seems like your [something] doesn't like spotlights for some reason. Could be drivers, could be poor shader support on your GPU, could be a corruption in your GZDoom or INI or... I don't even know.

My "scorched earth" recommendation is to reinstall your graphics drivers, reboot your system, download a new copy of L/GZDoom in a new folder with a fresh .ini, download the mods again, and see if it fixes it. If not, I don't have anything else to suggest.

8-)
r&r

Post by r&r »

Is there a dark sky box for this mod for outdoors maps?

kinda like the Fears mod? https://mikestoybox.net/2019/03/23/fears-mod/
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Dark skies I leave as an exercise for the player to find their own. My goal with this is (mostly) universal compatibility, and adding a custom sky that might not fit with another mod would be against that.

8-)
Kzer-Za
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kzer-Za »

Wow! This is amazing! It definitely goes to number 1 in my list of mods I wouldn't play without :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”