DarkDoomZ v1.10 [idgames]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: DarkDoomZ v1.3 (custom darkness + flashlight)

Post by -Ghost- »

That sounds good, sometimes a shoulder lamp can be cool, like the one in Alien vs Predator for the marines.
Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

Sounds good to me!
A_D_M_E_R_A_L
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by A_D_M_E_R_A_L »

Does it have some sort of multiplayer compatibility?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Yes, actually. I playtested this with a group of folks recently, and it all worked fine (some performance issues aside from having so many large lights). Please note that the configuration has to use server cvars, so only the game host can adjust the darkness and flashlight settings, and everyone will use the same flashlight.

8-)
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Caligari87 wrote:Yes, actually. I playtested this with a group of folks recently, and it all worked fine (some performance issues aside from having so many large lights). Please note that the configuration has to use server cvars, so only the game host can adjust the darkness and flashlight settings, and everyone will use the same flashlight.

8-)
On a related not, will this work with mods that have their own flashlights? Aka Doomzone?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

In theory yes; there should be no compatibility issues. The flashlight in DarkDoomZ is just a toggle-able inventory item. DarkDoomZ also defines a custom keyboard shortcut, so you can unbind it if you wish.

8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Re: DarkDoomZ v1.4 (custom darkness + flashlight)

Post by Caligari87 »

DarkDoomZ v1.4 has been released. I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner, honestly I thought I already had! :laff:

Version 1.4 Release Notes

Downloads may be found in the first post or at the link above.

8-)
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Sorry for the bump. On the ZDoom Discord, I got a request to add an option custom fog density. I've done so on a test branch, but I'm not sure I like how it works. If you're interested in this feature, please download the following test version and let me know what you think.

DarkDoomZ experimental fog density

8-)
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

I have noticed that with blood decals from custom gore mods don't always play nice, they sometimes show up as black and sometimes normally.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that's an issue with spot lights in general, not with this mod.

8-)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I guess I should report this while it's bumped: for some reason, on certain maps, having the flashlight on will steadily ramp down the framerate until it is unplayable, fixed only by holding the Flashlight key long enough for it to register that you want to turn it off.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that these maps are more complex with lots of linedefs? If so, that's an unavoidable side-effect of the extremely large light radius needed to project a useful spotlight (bug dpJudas about having spotlights only check linedefs inside their cone instead of the all-around radius :P ). The only real solution is using a weaker light type (lower radius = fewer linedefs checked) and/or the "Simple" quality preset (which should typically cut the performance impact almost in half).

This could also depend on how powerful your computer is; weaker systems may not be able to handle the flashlight even on low settings or simple maps.

If it's happening on standard-detail maps (like the stock levels) or as some kind of progressive issue, then I'm not sure what it could be as the code doesn't spawn excess actors or anything. Can you narrow it down to some reproducible cases?

8-)
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It is on higher-detail maps that this is noticeable, but the nature of the framerate drop is strangely gradual. I was primarily getting it on some maps (I forget which) of JPCP.wad. The framerate doesn't bog down all at once, it slowly (or quickly) ramps down, as if it's spawning thinkers repeatedly and not getting rid of them until the flashlight is switched off (though one would need to have the STAT information on screen to know what specifically is going on, and I didn't).
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

No idea what that could be then. I just tested with stat think on E1M1 and it only adds two thinkers when the light is on (the dynlights themselves) then instantly destroys them when it's off.

Could it be some other mod or a bug in the map? I got a similar problem on Sin City 1 and 2 while playing with Hideous Destructor, the map had a script that constantly spawned/destroyed certain stock objects for special effects or something, but since HD replaced those actors they never got destroyed by the map scripts and just built up.

8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

This is more of a little thing, but do you think you could add a noise to the flashlight, like a click to turn it on and off? It's a tiny thing, but it's satisfying when games do it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”