Magitek Doom [1.1 Update]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kikichang

Re: [Released] Magitek Doom

Post by kikichang »

Casting holy ray more than once in a row crashes the game everytime. Is it just because of my crappy computer?
Tetraflora

Post by Tetraflora »

kikichang wrote:Casting holy ray more than once in a row crashes the game everytime. Is it just because of my crappy computer?
Tested it on my somewhat old laptop. Shouldn't crash really? This mod doesn't seem to be the best suited on too low end of machines however, sorry about any inconveniences.
mekanchest

Post by mekanchest »

hey i played your mod its good, but i cant use the Hud you recommend because dont load the mod, im using the gzdoom 2.2.0 for play and dont work the hud
Tetraflora

Post by Tetraflora »

mekanchest wrote:hey i played your mod its good, but i cant use the Hud you recommend because dont load the mod, im using the gzdoom 2.2.0 for play and dont work the hud
I realized just last night actually that the most current version of JP Hud doesn't work with GZDoom 2.2.0. So I went ahead and updated the link to contain version 11 of JP Hud instead, which SHOULD work properly. Sorry for the mistake. (:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sorry to bother you, but would you happen to have a list of credits for this mod?
Tetraflora

Post by Tetraflora »

wildweasel wrote:Sorry to bother you, but would you happen to have a list of credits for this mod?
I don't have an exact credits list since back when i started this, i didn't keep stuff like that in mind. But I did update what I could remember or see in the original post at the bottom. If people point out stuff, I'll keep on adding to that list and hopefully I'll get everything eventually.
Tetraflora

Post by Tetraflora »

Decided that I will be doing monthly updates every 4th based on what I've completed that month. Here's a sneak peak of what will be in the next version.

For all those who wanted more progression, this will be addressed and the only starting weapons will be Melee + Pistol. There have been many other changes so far and for those curious and want to keep track of progress on this project, just check out the Magitek Doom Trello
Tetraflora

Re: Magitek Doom [1.1 Update]

Post by Tetraflora »

Magitek Doom 1.1 has been released! I hope you guys enjoy it, sorry about skipping a month.
Spoiler: Here is the Changelog
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Something has been really annoying me about this mod is the fact that you have to travel to the start of the map in order to access the shop, can't there be a dedicated button for that? or a menu? because going back to the start is impossible at times, even making maps like sunlust outright impossible because I need the weapon I just got and CAN'T EQUIP IT.

Other than that, I really like parts of the mod and hope you keep working on it.

P.S. It may be just me but the brutal doom effects you placed just don't fit this mod all too well especially the death animations and the "mercy killings". It kinda looks like you ripped them and plopped them straight from brutal doom and placed them into the mod, Might be a good Idea to change that.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

insightguy wrote: P.S. It may be just me but the brutal doom effects you placed just don't fit this mod all too well especially the death animations and the "mercy killings". It kinda looks like you ripped them and plopped them straight from brutal doom and placed them into the mod, Might be a good Idea to change that.
Unfortunately at this point decoupling the Brutal aspects of this mod would be an insane amount of very tedious work.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

The mod is really quite fun and interesting. It has the great arcadey feel to it and the weapon design is quite unique and all weapons are fun to use. I especially like weapons that have integration with the element system (and my fav even if it isn't is the magnum revolver). The only issue I have with it is the extreme frequency of turret spawns and the fact that all enemies are aggro'd at the start which breaks a lot of levels and really changes the flow of the game. (for example a lot of levels use enemies in teleporter rooms that get triggered from them getting aggro'd but since this mod causes that immediately they all spawn)

EDIT: The mod breaks Dead Simple in Doom 2.
Tetraflora

Post by Tetraflora »

insightguy wrote:Something has been really annoying me about this mod is the fact that you have to travel to the start of the map in order to access the shop, can't there be a dedicated button for that? or a menu? because going back to the start is impossible at times, even making maps like sunlust outright impossible because I need the weapon I just got and CAN'T EQUIP IT.

Other than that, I really like parts of the mod and hope you keep working on it.

P.S. It may be just me but the brutal doom effects you placed just don't fit this mod all too well especially the death animations and the "mercy killings". It kinda looks like you ripped them and plopped them straight from brutal doom and placed them into the mod, Might be a good Idea to change that.
This mod was created with Brutal Doom as it's base. So most of the Brutal Doom stuff like mercy killing and what not is sticking around because it's the base and personally I enjoy that kind of thing being in this mod (It's a nice way of getting bonus MP/HP.) I even made a few of my own custom dying/last stand animations for the new monsters to fit in and plan to implement more in the future so that's just part of Magitek Doom at this point. I do plan on touching up things a lot more in that field to make it feel more concise and clean though, so hopefully in the future you will feel it fits a little better.

As far as traveling back to the start of a map for supply stations, that too is a design decision for this mod. Supply stations spawn at the start of each map and every key. Typical Doom maps in a megawad are structured with maybe 1-3 keys per map. There's plenty of chances to change up your stuff, and I want the player to kind of stick with what they got until they can find a new supply station. If you chose to go back to one, you can only change your loadout once so you have to think carefully about what you're going into rest of the map with.

Some maps may be a little less "friendly" to the supply stations if they have no keys and it's a very long level. I'm still thinking of ways to fix such issues since Supply Stations were just implemented 2 months ago. It's still pretty new stuff for me and they will probably receive changes in the future. I'll never implement a "change loadouts on the fly" button though. That's not how I want this mod to be and it'd eliminate the point of the weapon restriction.
Someone64 wrote:The only issue I have with it is the extreme frequency of turret spawns and the fact that all enemies are aggro'd at the start which breaks a lot of levels and really changes the flow of the game. EDIT: The mod breaks Dead Simple in Doom 2.
Thank you for your feedback! I didn't know about things getting broken in Dead Simple, I haven't tested this a whole lot with vanilla Doom 2. I'll look into that asap and try to get a patch going soon to fix it.

As far as enemies aggroing, not all enemies in a map should aggro at once I believe. They only aggro upon hearing a weapon fire (each weapon has its own "loudness" range) or seeing a target. In smaller maps they probably aggro through walls especially if you're using loud weapons like the SSG. I may have to look into ways to tweak this but I haven't come up with a nice elegant solution yet. Sentries spawn over Imps sometimes, so maps with lots of imps means maps with lots of sentries too. Each new monster fills in the spot of an old monster basically.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Tetraflora wrote: Some maps may be a little less "friendly" to the supply stations if they have no keys and it's a very long level. I'm still thinking of ways to fix such issues since Supply Stations were just implemented 2 months ago. It's still pretty new stuff for me and they will probably receive changes in the future. I'll never implement a "change loadouts on the fly" button though. That's not how I want this mod to be and it'd eliminate the point of the weapon restriction.
What about a limited use item that you can use to spawn a supply station like a "teleport a supply station here" grenade? (Maybe 1-2 per 1-2 maps), that would allow for your "restock" when you can't go back to the start?

And with regards to the brutal doom base, it's not that I mind the effects too much, but it can slow a lesser system down (like my laptop).
Brohnesorge
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

Re: breaking Dead Simple and other monster scripts
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=57170

Give this a look.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Well in Map02 in Doom 2 even if I don't move all the enemies in the teleporter room start spawning at spawn and the enemies facing away from you start patrolling. That's what I mean by aggro. They should be set to sit completely still similar to vanilla monsters and those of other mods in order to keep consistency with the map design.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”